Planet Earf
✟7,693.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-Any chance of seeing a Calvinist believing preacher on TV promoting the "gospel of greed" or promoting anything? Not sure if there are any right now just thought I'd ask.

-What about women in ministry? Is 1Tim2:11-15 the reason? Does this bar women from having any position in the church?

-What is soooo bad about Arminianism? Just so you know I'm not starting any trouble I'm in constant discussions with our "associate" pastor who happens to believe in this. Thinks it is not "fair" to think everyone doesn't have a chance...so I thought I'd pose the question.

CoffeeSwirls

snaps back wash after wash...
Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If a pastor were to preach about sin, the networks would totally flip out! John MacArthur had his radio program cancelled because he preaches election and he's considered to be one of the giants of today. I believe there is a gospel crisis in America today (I try not to speak for other countries) caused by men who preach about the rewards of Christ, but not the very thing that seperates us from Him. You will find preaching about how to be healthy, wealthy and wise on the TV, but the matter of sin is one that you may never hear, except in passing. Responsibility to obey the Lord is not in vogue today. For what it's worth, you can hear some Calvinist/Reformed preaching at Doctrines of Grace Radio on the internet.

Women in ministry is a topic that comes up from time to time. Most reformed people will deny a woman a place behind the pulpit, but will let her sing in church and speak out in a home Bible study. As that is a fresh battleground, I will let someone more knowledgable than I answer this one. Brothers and Sisters, let's put forth our references for our views on this in love and with respect toward those who hold the opposite view.

We view Arminianism negatively in several degrees as well. I am of the view that they are misinformed in their stance, as well as ours. A quote I heard just today was of an Arminian woman who met a Calvinist man. In conversation, she said that he was one of those "weirdos" who believes in Limited Atonement and he answered that she believed in it also, she just didn't realize it. They are now married with four kids and she has come to believe in the Doctrines of Grace as well. What happened? She met someone who was willing to lovingly explain this doctrine with her and she was willing to listen.

The core of this argument is usually a matter of who chooses who. God chooses His people or we choose Him. Calvinism does not say that we are robots or puppets who are chosen whether or not we like it. God changes our hearts so we will choose Him willingly where before we rejected Him. This is true of every Christian, whether they realize it or not.

Does everyone have the responsibility to accept Christ? Yes. Are we predisposed to do this without His intervention? No. Is God obligated to change our hearts? No. The delight that He would choose me sets my faith in stone where before I was afraid of offending Him and negating my Christianity.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
-What is soooo bad about Arminianism? Just so you know I'm not starting any trouble I'm in constant discussions with our "associate" pastor who happens to believe in this. Thinks it is not "fair" to think everyone doesn't have a chance...so I thought I'd pose the question.

To say that it is "not fair" if everyone does not have a chance implies that all men have some innate worth and DESERVES a chance.

What does the bible say on that ?

Rom 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:11
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Rom 3:12
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Let me put it to you this way.. If men deserve a chance, then they are not saved by Mercy, they are saved because they deserve it .

To be saved by mercy one must have been tried and found guilty, (not worthy) .
Then the judge gives mercy

Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion

For it to be mercy it must be undeserved and unearned, it can not be a reward for good behavior or a proper plea

Upvote 0

Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Croooz said:
-Any chance of seeing a Calvinist believing preacher on TV promoting the "gospel of greed" or promoting anything? Not sure if there are any right now just thought I'd ask.

One man on TV that teaches God's word is Dr. D.James Kennedy and has been on for years. He is worth watching.

Croooz said:
-What about women in ministry? Is 1Tim2:11-15 the reason? Does this bar women from having any position in the church?

I believe you will find 1Tim3:2 is the reason Calvanists/Conservatives bar women from positions requiring ordination.

1 Tim3:2 A bishop* then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

*Bishop
An overseer. In apostolic times, it is quite manifest that there was no difference as to order between bishops and elders or presbyters #Ac 20:17-28 1Pe 5:1,2 Php 1:1 1Ti 3:1ff. The term bishop is never once used to denote a different office from that of elder or presbyter. These different names are simply titles of the same office, "bishop" designating the function, namely, that of oversight, and "presbyter" the dignity appertaining to the office. Christ is figuratively called "the bishop [episcopos] of souls" #1Pe 2:25

Upvote 0