✟6,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas,

I just heard about this on the news. What if NASA is able to see the beginnings of the universe? What if their findings contradict the Bible? What happens to our faith?

NASA built a time machine! How the James Webb Telescope will see the origins of the universe | KXAN Austin
We already can see the origins of the universe trough the cosmic microwave background radiation. I do not see how this could contradict the bible. I do not think god expects people 3000 years ago to understand how the universe was made so he gave us stories.

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It's not a time machine. And NASA already contradicts the Bible, a lot actually. What we can see through telescopes does not tell us Who made the objects we are looking at.

The universe didn't create itself. You are not the result of randomness. You are not descended from a fish. Man was created by God along with the entire universe.

If you are struggling with the strawman of science vs religion, I recommend the Institute for Creation Research website.

Home | The Institute for Creation Research

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Merry Christmas,

I just heard about this on the news. What if NASA is able to see the beginnings of the universe? What if their findings contradict the Bible? What happens to our faith?

NASA built a time machine! How the James Webb Telescope will see the origins of the universe | KXAN Austin

Merry Christmas

I wouldn't worry. Any beginning that isn't finite is God by definition. If it is finite, it isn't the cause of beginnings. Trust me that theologians and philosophers have already been struggling with those questions and no clear winners exist.

More importantly, this is pretty cool because we get a more intimate look into God's creation, which is ours to explore, understand, and celebrate. :)

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Merry Christmas,

Evolutionary science already contradicts the Bible.

So what will change.

Turn it around, science actually confirms the biblical account, so the results of this telescopes investigations will confirm the Bible.
It is just that scientist will reinterpret it to support evolution.

Upvote 0

jesuslover811

Dec 3, 2021
Nowhere
✟6,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evolutionary science already contradicts the Bible.

So what will change.

Turn it around, science actually confirms the biblical account, so the results of this telescopes investigations will confirm the Bible.
It is just that scientist will reinterpret it to support evolution.
Please tell me how evolutionary science already contradicts the Bible im not doubting you im just confused and this is the best place to get information

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,421.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Webb Telescope is very cool if you ask me. We get to see God’s creative work in remote places more clearly, so we can rejoice in that! It’s interesting to me how epic and colourful the universe is — it draws my mind to the visions of God’s throne in Ezekiel and Revelation.

But the new telescope does not nor will not disprove the Bible, because the creation account is an article of faith (Hebrews 11:3) for believers in Jesus and unbelievers alike. That is, we all have a belief about the origin of the universe based on evidence that is received and interpreted. The only thing that could disprove Christianity is if Christ was proven to not be raised from the dead. This is what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15. In arguing for the resurrection, he emphasises that our faith is not some invention, wishful thinking, or fantasy, but is firmly rooted in history. What God has spoken through His prophets, apostles, and His Son stands, and they cannot be disproven. We have this promise from God, that the Word of the Lord remains forever. Theoretical science cannot and will not disprove it.

So, in short, the new telescope is good, and we can be glad and take interest in it, but it doesn’t give us anything to fear, love, and trust in — it doesn’t compete with God and His Word. As said many times before: Science cannot disprove God. Theoretical science, however, often contradicts God’s Word with many and competing ideas that develop and change. But we can take comfort in that, while the theories and philosophies of the world rage against the Bible, God’s Word will endure; God’s Word is truth.

Blessings!

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Webb Telescope is very cool if you ask me. We get to see God’s creative work in remote places more clearly, so we can rejoice in that! It’s interesting to me how epic and colourful the universe is — it draws my mind to the visions of God’s throne in Ezekiel and Revelation.

But the new telescope does not nor will not disprove the Bible, because the creation account is an article of faith (Hebrews 11:3) for believers in Jesus and unbelievers alike. That is, we all have a belief about the origin of the universe based on evidence that is received and interpreted. The only thing that could disprove Christianity is if Christ was proven to not be raised from the dead. This is what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15. In arguing for the resurrection, he emphasises that our faith is not some invention, wishful thinking, or fantasy, but is firmly rooted in history. What God has spoken through His prophets, apostles, and His Son stands, and they cannot be disproven. We have this promise from God, that the Word of the Lord remains forever. Theoretical science cannot and will not disprove it.

So, in short, the new telescope is good, and we can be glad and take interest in it, but it doesn’t give us anything to fear, love, and trust in — it doesn’t compete with God and His Word. As said many times before: Science cannot disprove God. Theoretical science, however, often contradicts God’s Word with many and competing ideas that develop and change. But we can take comfort in that, while the theories and philosophies of the world rage against the Bible, God’s Word will endure; God’s Word is truth.

Blessings!
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please tell me how evolutionary science already contradicts the Bible im not doubting you im just confused and this is the best place to get information

God created the world in six days, as stated in the ten commandments. Evolutionist believe it took millions of years. That is a conraditicion of what the bible says.

May I suggest you subscrbe to answers in geneisis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our scientific instruments can only detect and measure natural phenomena, they cannot measure the supranatural. When God heals someone of cancer, there isn't a process we can detect and measure in the hope of reproducing it ourselves. We simply detect healthy tissue where previously we found cancer.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The science vs religion debate doesn't really exist. Science and religion get along quite well as long as God is in the equation.

Agreed.

Here are the standards I use:

1. Bible says x, Science says x = go with x
2. Bible says x, Science says y = go with x
3. Bible says x, Science says ø = go with x
4. Bible says ø, Science says x = go with x
5. Bible says ø, Science says ø = free to speculate on your own

Prime Directive: Under no circumstances whatsoever is the Bible to be contradicted.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

Here are the standards I use:

1. Bible says x, Science says x = go with x
2. Bible says x, Science says y = go with x
3. Bible says x, Science says ø = go with x
4. Bible says ø, Science says x = go with x
5. Bible says ø, Science says ø = free to speculate on your own

Prime Directive: Under no circumstances whatsoever is the Bible to be contradicted.
I don’t know what #4 means.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t know what #4 means.

It means that if the Bible is silent on something, I go with what science says.

For example, the Bible is silent on what the speed of light is, but science says it is C.

Thus I go with what science says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Unless NASA's telescopes find scribbled on the edge of a supernova saying "Just kidding, Christianity is wrong, signed God" I don't think there's anything that they're gonna find that's going to be a problem for my faith.

We already have bountiful amounts of evidence in science that demonstrates certain fallible human interpretations of Scripture as untenable. It's abundantly obvious that the universe, and the earth we live on in that universe, is billions of years old, not thousands. It's abundantly obvious that life has been evolving on this planet for millions of years. And these things are not demonstrable from only one or two pieces of evidence, but from mountains of evidence across multiple scientific disciplines.

No one is defending the Bible by denying science. God's written and precious holy word is not benefited from denials of objective reality and sticking fingers in our ears pretending facts will just stop being facts and go away.

The Fathers of the Church remind us not to put the Scriptures to shame by thinking we know more about fields of science than those who actually know and understand their fields of study.

St. Augustine in his work on Genesis writes,

"It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.
" - St. Augustine of Hippo, De Genesi ad Litteram

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums