St. Louis
✟7,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there I just joined and need some advice. My son is 15 and has been through some things. Also he has suffered depression and he got hell for that. He has been getting into heavy metal screaming music about death and depressed life. Also went on this stupid app which is kinda like a relationships sex app. We took they phone away and we are thinking of killing the data usage on his smart phone until he can prove we can trust him. He can only make calls and text people he knows. I need advice.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there I just joined and need some advice. My son is 15 and has been through some things. Also he has suffered depression and he got hell for that. He has been getting into heavy metal screaming music about death and depressed life. Also went on this stupid app which is kinda like a relationships sex app. We took they phone away and we are thinking of killing the data usage on his smart phone until he can prove we can trust him. He can only make calls and text people he knows. I need advice.

That's wise what you did. I have a mentally challenged person I help and he has an addiction to those dating/sex partner sites. He is spending $750 in 3 days and can't account for it. I help feed him after he spends his money.

Anyways, those sites can be deceptive and the women there will take advantage of the men who visit. It can become an addiction :(

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I told my husband to get rid of the data until he can prove that we can trust him on the internet.
Sounds reasonable.

Just make sure there is some kind of path so that he can prove himself to you.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your son is 15 , that means he’s 3 years away from being an adult . Taking away his stuff like he’s 2 is not going to improve things . He needs to discuss how he feels with you or go to trusted counselling . I remember some of the hopeless helpless feelings I had as a teen and that was reflected in some of the movies I watched and music I listened too. My parents were abusively over controlling and their behaviour made me feel so bad that I was suicidal. Depression has to be treated and taking his phone away won’t do that . Ask him what would make him feel better at a minimum. Is he having problems in school or in a relationship? And keep in mind that teens don’t want to be just like you . They just might like music or art that you don’t . ( I can’t picture my classical music loving father even listening to that led zeppelin album I liked so much)

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
E362BD57-4AE1-4DD1-9D5B-38424BCC89D4.jpeg
If he’s a musician His tastes in music might not match yours . Ask him to break down the music like they do in this video and find out what he likes about it. It could be the musicianship and not necessarily the message. That’s a photo I cant link due to glitch in my phone . But it’s easily found on YouTube

Upvote 0

Minlee

Sep 20, 2019
St. Louis
✟7,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your son is 15 , that means he’s 3 years away from being an adult . Taking away his stuff like he’s 2 is not going to improve things . He needs to discuss how he feels with you or go to trusted counselling . I remember some of the hopeless helpless feelings I had as a teen and that was reflected in some of the movies I watched and music I listened too. My parents were abusively over controlling and their behaviour made me feel so bad that I was suicidal. Depression has to be treated and taking his phone away won’t do that . Ask him what would make him feel better at a minimum. Is he having problems in school or in a relationship? And keep in mind that teens don’t want to be just like you . They just might like music or art that you don’t . ( I can’t picture my classical music loving father even listening to that led zeppelin album I liked so much)

We are just blocking him from getting internet on his phone.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes he is the drummer on the worship team. We are church goers

Awesome. I think @Dave-W gave some good advice in providing an avenue to prove himself. Sounds like he has good roots in church :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Get him counseling if he doesn't already. If he does, ask the counselor about "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy." Either way, find someone who has good rapport with him who can talk with him about the things he values in life. He needs to be doing some of those things--within the limits of what's socially appropriate--to divert the depression and prevent it from relapsing.

Be on guard about juvenile bipolar. I always forget the statistics, but a significant number of depression cases turn out to be Bipolar II. I mean, teenage boys will be teenage boys, but the hypersexuality of bipolar doesn't do any favors to one's Christian efforts to stay away from inappropriate content.

As regards the phone thing, it sounds like you're alluding to some social problems that have resulted from the depression, and anxiety is not an uncommon partner-in-crime to depression. Err towards rewarding him for doing the right thing rather than punishing him for doing the wrong thing. One way that people become depressed is they don't get a sufficient "diet" of reward in their life. So once he has phone privileges back, do randomized checks for illicit content on the phone, and if he passes, he gets some kind of perk for it. You want it randomized so that he can't clean his history or whatever prior to you checking it. And whenever he makes a socially legitimate advance toward getting/keeping a girlfriend, find some way to reward him for that. (But remember he's a teenager, so saying "Good job" or some other kind of attention is probably just going to push him away. Find something he wants.)

That's what I would do as a Christian behavior analyst who has bipolar depression my own self.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He listening to music about killing and pretty much death metal music. He has no problems at school and has been through counseling and such.
I remember when my borrowed son ( long story) used to listen to death metal .insane clown posse! I worried about it until I realised that just as in my generation ( 60s) there was a little epater le bourgeoisie ( shock the complacent middle class) in it.

One thing that definitely needs to discussed is that the stage is a fantasy world . Real people get hurt if they think that it isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: TraceMalin
Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh, and the heavy metal music? I would try to steer him more towards Evanescence. When I'm depressed, it helps me to listen to sad music. One, it gives me a healthy outlet. If I'm listening to Evanescence, I'm expressing my depression without griping and snarling at actual people. Two, Evanescence in particular makes me feel that there's someone out there who understands what I'm feeling, and that makes me start to feel better. Now, I don't know what band he wants to listen to, and I would definitely pull anything that has antisocial lyrics--lyrics that would encourage him to push away from other people. When I'm feeling agitated, I might put on some Babymetal, because it's silly and Japanese and the singers are screaming about wanting chocolate, but I avoid songs that are aggressive in a serious way.

Upvote 0

TraceMalin

Jun 27, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Visit site
✟10,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the 80's it was Black Sabbath and Playboy. An honest adult talk about your concerns as parents and his feelings about his music and interest in sex might be all that's needed. I asked my 15 & 16 year old lifeguards, "How come you guys can come to the beach and do a great job for me? Some of you have even saved lives. But, at home and at school, you guys get in trouble?" The answer was, "Because you treat us like adults."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are just blocking him from getting internet on his phone.
he’ll just go over to his friends house . Teens are more flexible than adults and they figure out ways around strictures and you don’t want him in trouble because he goes around your strictures in other ways you won’t like. That’s why I suggested talking about the music and what he likes about it rather than cutting him off

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm torn. Granted, it's not my kid or my situation, but on the one hand I see lots of wisdom in TraceMalin's post, and yet I also have that instinct that says "He is not yet a legal adult, so anything he is given that he himself does not pay for is essentially a privilege, which can and should be taken away or restricted if he is not acting appropriately." I'm not sure what I'd do, but I trust that Minlee and her husband know and love their own child and hence know what is best. :)

I wanted to post because of the music element, though. My immediate family have worked in the music business for well over half a century combined (first my father, from the late 1960s until his retirement in 2010, and now my brother, from about 2006 to present), and have done so for all kinds of acts, from heavy metal to adult contemporary and what are now politely termed 'nostalgia' tours (e.g., Yes, Journey, Heart, etc.). First, while I know it does nothing to lessen the worry that the music itself may be having a bad impact on your child's mental or spiritual state, it is important to recognize how often the faces that these artists present for public consumption are a kind of elevated or exaggerated/theatrical sort of mask. For instance, in reality Tom Araya (I think that's his name; the lead singer) of the heavy metal band Slayer, which is known to sing about very dark subjects in a very aggressive manner, is a practicing Roman Catholic (he is Chilean, so I suspect it is part of his upbringing). Similarly, 'shock rock' legend Alice Cooper is in fact a born again/Evangelical Christian, who when he's not on tour with the likes of Marilyn Manson and other progeny of the 'shock rock' genre, actually teaches Sunday school. These two are rather open about their religiousity in interviews (on the rare occasion that the interviewer knows to go there), but there are others who are religious but don't openly discuss it, or it otherwise doesn't come out in their music (usually because they don't write the lyrics; Billy Zoom, the guitarist for the 1970s-80s LA punk band X comes to mind in this category).

I guess I'm typing this to say that there is still an inroad to be made with your child regarding his listening habits that might help him (and you) open up a little bit regarding why it is happening, and what it means -- both to him (why he likes/connects with it) and to you (why it is a concern for you).

There is also the very real possibility that it is, if not a phase exactly, at least a sort of stepping stone onto other, less extreme things. When I was your son's age, I was not involved in heavy metal or death metal (though I had friends who were), but instead in punk rock, which has its own potential problems for parents (e.g., anti-authority lyrics, including sometimes anti-religion lyrics). I will admit I do still like some of that stuff in very short servings (8-10 minutes, max), but over the past ~25 years, it has mostly been replaced first with more varied sounds (lots of 'ethnic' or 'world' music, or whatever you'd call it), and later, after returning to Christianity after a long absence, with Church hymns. So not all hope is lost! I swear! I'm living proof, in a way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My daughter downloaded an app onto her teenage son's phone to protect him from harmful sites, she also has one on his PC. Here's a link to some parental control apps.
These parental control apps will help keep your kids' device habits in check

He does have access to YouTube so she frequently
checks the history to see what he has been watching. There are agreed upon rules between them, it's been over two years now and so far he hasn't broken the rules. He knows if he breaks the rules his access will be cut off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well, sort of. Read some reviews by computer experts. The apps will protect to some extent against accidentally going to a shocking site, but I wouldn't be too sure they'd do much else. Also, they have errors in both directions: sites they don't catch, and sites you might want your kid to go to that they intercept.

(I have to admit, however, that my only detailed knowledge of a teenager's computer habits was with a teenager whose main problem with preventing his parents from going to sites that would download junk onto their computer. He really, really wanted a parental control app designed to control parents.)

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right on track with your son. God has a plan for this young man and being hung up on media is not it. He is blessed with a special Mom and Dad. You could check out this list at Keeping your Family Safe in Cyber Space | A Listly List and see if it will help your precious young man through this difficult time in life. Maybe it will take some of the pressure off of your and your husband's minds and offer you some encouragement. I am praying for you and your family to find God's plan and the help that you need.

Upvote 0