Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a boy who just turns 17 years old.
He asked me whether he can have a girlfriend?
He has many girl classmates in his class and also the tuition class outside.

I heard that in America, most teenagers have had sex after 17, true?
Is it a culture?
sadly yes many have sex before marriage around 18 or so. I'm 19 myself right now.
But yeah nowadays it's not way out of the ordinary here in America for someone to commit fornication.

• Haha
Reactions: writewords
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Is it a culture?
I'd say that what you've heard, statistics-wise, is apparently correct.

At 15, not as many have done it as a lot of people suspect. But after 17, yes, it may well be "most."

But that doesn't mean it's everyone, either. It sounds like he's not oversexed if he's asking you if he can have a girlfriend at 17, long after most of his classmates have found girlfriends or boyfriends, regardless of whether or not they've had sex with them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Is it a culture?
Hi; I cannot speak for the US. But it depends who you are talking about, which families you are talking about and also which sorts of professing churches.

Also, it depends what you mean by 'have a gf'. Within this term there is a whole variety of meanings, including simple friendship that may later develop into something deeper.

A habit of daily prayer and Scripture reading is foundational for Biblical living and sound, Christian relationships.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Is it a culture?

it's been part of the culture for the last 40 years or more. we've moved on to way bigger sins now!

'Merka

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Is it a culture?

It depends on the kid. You could always talk to him about it. More parents should talk to their kids about safe sex and preventing pregnancies. Many kids grandparents were part of the first generation that made sex before marriage the norm, yet parents still refuse to talk to their kids about it. As a result, there are a lot of teenagers with kids.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the kid. You could always talk to him about it. More parents should talk to their kids about safe sex and preventing pregnancies. Many kids grandparents were part of the first generation that made sex before marriage the norm, yet parents still refuse to talk to their kids about it. As a result, there are a lot of teenagers with kids.
Do you think that giving condoms to unmarried young people only encourages them to proceed?

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think that giving condoms to unmarried young people only encourages them to proceed?

No. I think pretending your kids aren't going to be having sex when your generation and your parent's generation were having sex is completely irresponsible. Lots of parents don't want to talk about it, and then have to deal with the more serious consequences. Sticking your head in the sand isn't going to keep your kids from having sex. Depriving them of information and means to having safe sex makes the situation worse.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. I think pretending your kids aren't going to be having sex when your generation and your parent's generation were having sex is completely irresponsible. Lots of parents don't want to talk about it, and then have to deal with the more serious consequences. Sticking your head in the sand isn't going to keep your kids from having sex. Depriving them of information and means to having safe sex makes the situation worse.
What do you make of Revelation 2.20?

"I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel.. to teach .. my servants to commit fornication".

Wouldn't it be better for Christian parents to teach their children to be self-controlled and faithful to God and to their spouse, once they are married?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you make of Revelation 2.20?

"I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel.. to teach .. my servants to commit fornication".

Wouldn't it be better for Christian parents to teach their children to be self-controlled and faithful to God and to their spouse, once they are married?

You are assuming parents must do one or the other.
It would be nice if we lived in a perfect world, but depriving your children of information is irresponsible and unjust. Parents can explain safe sex practices to their kids, while letting them know their values.

This is similar to parents that tell their kids not to drink, but if they find themselves in a position where they may drive drunk, to give them a call without fear of punishment. I see pregnant teens and dead teens because their parents thought if they dont talk about it, they won't do it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you talked to him about what he wants out of a relationship?

Teenagers fornicate. So do young adults. So do older adults. He's not going to age out of vulnerability to this temptation. If that's not on his list of priorities in a relationship, then that's a good sign. Better that he date now and learn while under your supervision than go out and sin as soon as he leaves home.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Talking to your kids about sex, instead of simply telling them no, is also an opportunity to explain why they should abstain. Young people form their own values and beliefs, and begin to see themselves as distinct from their parents. Teenagers look to form their own identity by identifying with their peer community.

Parents can also talk about their own experiences, or bring in other family members or friends to discuss some of the emotional harm done by sex outside of marriage. Parents can have a mature, thorough conversation which will help their kids make the right decisions because it'll become THEIR decision.

Upvote 0

MrNoodle

Would you like a Chum Burger?
Jan 28, 2017
01000101|01100001|01110010|01110100|01101000
✟111,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quote: I have a boy who just turns 17 years old.
Is it a culture?

Where I live in the US, we have a lot of kids pregnant before 17.
But on the flip side, a 17 year old should have enough basic judgement to decide if he wants a girl friend. But also he needs to understand the big picture. Being a teenage parent ruins the chances at a good career and going to college. So its examples like this that he needs to understand as the big picture. There's nothing wrong with having a girl friend as a teenager. But I feel they need to be responsible and avoid going too far. Its a case of trusting them to make the right choices in life, and accepting them if they do make a mistake. Because as a parent you can only do so much. At some point you have to allow them to grow up.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the others are right that it is common, but it isn't universal. Also, having a girlfriend doesn't necessarily mean having sex. To equate the two as a definitive correlation can encourage a unhealthy understanding of a relationship. It's common, but is not a definite outcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MrNoodle

Would you like a Chum Burger?
Jan 28, 2017
01000101|01100001|01110010|01110100|01101000
✟111,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree it should not be considered normal. But it is common place these days, whether right or wrong. You or I won't change it. All that we can do is try to educate and teach responsibility and hope that they are listening and learning. Then hope they make the right choices when they need to.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Is it a culture?

It is commonplace that people of all ages are engaging in fornication...but it's also true the STDs
are increasing an there be few talking about it...
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/...ly-transmitted-diseases-are-on-rise.html?_r=0
Also this:Teen IUD use is up, but condom use is down

Upvote 0