Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I just ran across something interesting on YouTube- it is pages and pages of solar batteries and power banks. They will charge in the sunlight and charge an internal battery. The little ones can charge a cell phone while the big ones can power a laptop or even video and audio equipment to show a movie, these would be just the ticket if you are doing missionary work in a rural area. I know some missionaries that go into remote villages like to play the Jesus film and then invite people to give their lives to Christ, one of these could easily power the projection equipment and being solar you have unlimited access to power and don't need to haul around a gas generator. These come in all sizes on Amazon and range in price from $40 to $2500, they are slick! The link to the website is here:

Amazon.com : briefcase solar bank

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes! Solar has the potential to be huge (and mostly natural), alas stagnant forces of the old days hold us back from the true energy.
To take a leaf from the proverbial book of plants, just look at photosynthesis on a basic level.
Energy - Growth. Plant a potato. Grow a bigger potato.

I had a recent telephone call with a good friend of mine, who I often argue with about matters such as these. It's all in good spirits but it can sometimes get a bit heated. But we give each other time to portray our thoughts in the verbal field without rude interruption. But there's times that it become difficult.

He basically believes that we can quite easily live independently and respectfully off the land without the need for profit, without the need for stock exchanges and shares and other displays of capitalistic squander dragging us all tumbling down the stairway to heaven, to HE WHO LIES BENEATH.

But my view is that all of that is trivial. Invest in a garden. It's free. If anything a garden rewards you!

Jesus himself wasn't too happy with the coin counters. I imagine if the temple itself had been occupied by gardeners, Jesus would have been a very happy man.

• Useful
Reactions: ronlion
Upvote 0

Inhocsigno

Dec 20, 2007
✟26,773.00
Faith
Lutheran
Greetings Dave Darling,
Thank you for the information on this. Several of our missionary groups in Europe have indeed been using devices such as these for example in their church-building and parish restoration efforts, particularly in the heavily rural areas where power access can be somewhat more challenging. We had several members active in Latvia and Croatia for example, in very thinly settled regions, who were able to build small parish churches that soon became fixtures of the community.

Many of our members active in large-scale conversion efforts in ex. Albania and Kosovo, where many villages have once become majority-Christian, enjoyed success in part thanks to their ability to harness solar or wind power in remote regions, and the miniaturization of power-generation resources and batteries has indeed been a great help, allowing our members to work far away from the power grid. Even in the rural areas of more developed western European countries as in for ex. rural France, Germany, Sweden or in the farm country of Holland and Belgium (which is also often off the grid), miniature solar power devices have been great for the little things, helping to build churches and community centers, by making the logistical steps more flexible. And in those countries, there are often for ex. EU subsidies to help with the power generation and storage, which are also worth looking into.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dave, I think pretty much the entire world is familiar with solar tech. And wind. And water. Yes the equipment is getting more efficient and that is very good for out of the way ministry.
What I'd like to see is missionaries that post their work on YouTube to keep their supporters connected. This would be good for both. We need to see a connection where our money is going and what its doing. This will motivate us to give more, support more, help more. It doesn't take much money to do this either. A compact camera like a GoPro and a decent mic. Probably $100 - $200 if bought smart. They'd get that back in the first week probably!

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad more and more people are seeing the necessity of the natural sun and solar goodness, the harsh whip or gentle whisper of the wind, the cold and fruitful earth and the raw, uncaring ocean. At one point in time, all we could hope for was a good summer.
Now we have scientifically approved micro-climate chambers, man-modified rain clouds, wind tunnels, artificial grass and other types of nature manipulating degeneracy/invention going on behind closed doors, in laboratories and available on some level for the average consumer. It worries me. And I'm not sure what to make of it. I admire the ingenuity, but I'm frightened of Nature's/God's wrath should we push ourselves too far into forbidden territory, like we did in Eden, Sodom or other places abandoned by the human will.
I will always be on the side of harnessing the elements peacefully and without wanting to disturb or mimic nature. Batteries are fine. Although I do think we're somewhat very close to the stage of abandoning lithium batteries and may be looking to something more green for the planet - maybe solid state graphite anodes or crystal-radio technologies?

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0