Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok....so let's imagine someone is hurling expletives at a cop....for being a cop....

What do you think is acceptable to do about it?

Ignore it?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus doesn't define marriage for all people. Jesus was just one first century rabbi, there's no reason to think he's the ultimate authority on the matter, especially for those that don't subscribe to your religious beliefs.
Well, He does, for all believers - and in our laws throughout time - until we redefined it a few years ago. Many accept His definition over the redefinition (which is, of course, open to new redefinitions).

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many right-wing fundamentalist Pastors and Televangelists. it would surprise me a bit to learn that it was being taught at religious extremist institutions like Liberty or Bob Jones
Got a source of anyone teaching this? Or is this just speculation? I don't see it.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Got a source of anyone teaching this? Or is this just speculation? I don't see it.
Ben Carson comes to mind, or Jerry Falwell.
falwellpq.gif

Where do you suppose all of the people who come to this forum preaching such things get the idea that LGBT is nothing but a wicked lifestyle choice? Is that what you believe?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ben Carson comes to mind, or Jerry Falwell.
falwellpq.gif

Where do you suppose all of the people who come to this forum preaching such things get the idea that LGBT is nothing but a wicked lifestyle choice? Is that what you believe?
Ben Carson is a retired, renowned neurologist; he isn't "teaching" anyone. He apparently expressed an opinion one day that you don't like. He's permitted to do so (so far).

Jerry Falwell is dead. He died THIRTEEN years ago.

Neither of these are examples of preachers preaching this in the pulpit, which was the assertion.

I'm sure there are preachers sometimes mentioning the biblical passages where sexual immorality is addressed of all kinds - adultery, fornication, and homosexuality.. Those scriptures are in there as God called His people to NOT engage in the practices of the unbelievers around them (not to say that people listened then - or now) but that is biblical truth.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, He does, for all believers - and in our laws throughout time - until we redefined it a few years ago. Many accept His definition over the redefinition (which is, of course, open to new redefinitions).

That doesn't explain why your beliefs should be privileged in a pluralistic society where many people don't share them.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm not sure I follow that. It's one thing to say that homosexual acts are sinful and forbidden by the Bible--because that's what the Bible says. It's quite another to say that homosexuality is nothing but a wicked lifestyle choice and that homosexuals are evil predators trying to recruit our children. The Bible doesn't say that.

I certainly agree with this. Lumping all homosexuals into the "child predators" category is just plain dumb.

And I also don't believe we should be "picking" on homosexuals. It seems like we enjoy too much to pick on certain sins. Yet God says all have sinned. He didn't say homosexuals are more lost than anyone else. No they are no more in need of a savior than your average person on the street.

Sure its a wicked lifestyle if you are practicing it. But it's no more wicked than living an adulterous life or whatever.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Why in the world would we let kids decide what they want to be at such a young age. We dont let them decide where they want to live, what they want to be career wise, if they need to see a doctor, and in most cases what they want to eat. They don't get to decide if they need to brush their teeth. This is such a life altering decision and if taken to far, unreversible. Why in the world would we encourage such nonsense for children.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ben Carson is a retired, renowned neurologist; he isn't "teaching" anyone. He apparently expressed an opinion one day that you don't like. He's permitted to do so (so far).

Jerry Falwell is dead. He died THIRTEEN years ago.

Neither of these are examples of preachers preaching this in the pulpit, which was the assertion.

I'm sure there are preachers sometimes mentioning the biblical passages where sexual immorality is addressed of all kinds - adultery, fornication, and homosexuality.. Those scriptures are in there as God called His people to NOT engage in the practices of the unbelievers around them (not to say that people listened then - or now) but that is biblical truth.

Whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not is up for debate in the Christian Church. It has been taught that it is always a choice.

But I think times have changed and people are seeing a more nuanced approach to the subject. They recognize people generally don't just wake up one day and decide to change into homosexuality. That there are other factors at play. And a beer if reasons why someone would lean towards homosexuality.

It doesn't change the fact that it is sinful. It doesn't matter "why" a person practices homosexuality. Just the fact that they do is sinful. The "why" is irrelevant to whether or not it is sin.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Ok. But who would preach that in church? Seems odd.
Pastor Steven L. Anderson of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Arizona
Pastor Donnie Romero of Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas

Considering they are not just making the above claims but are calling for the mass killings of millions of people i wont't post any sort of link to their serous, you can look these two up on your own

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Steven L. Anderson of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Arizona
Pastor Donnie Romero of Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas

Considering they are not just making the above claims but are calling for the mass killings of millions of people i wont't post any sort of link to their serous, you can look these two up on your own
Got a link so I can hear or read these claims?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not is up for debate in the Christian Church. It has been taught that it is always a choice.

But I think times have changed and people are seeing a more nuanced approach to the subject. They recognize people generally don't just wake up one day and decide to change into homosexuality. That there are other factors at play. And a beer if reasons why someone would lean towards homosexuality.

It doesn't change the fact that it is sinful. It doesn't matter "why" a person practices homosexuality. Just the fact that they do is sinful. The "why" is irrelevant to whether or not it is sin.
No, it is not "up for debate", as it is settled in scripture. There are biblical churches and there are those who have gone astray into their own teachings on this (and other things). So it really isn't a matter to be personally determined as to whether God's requirements as to sexual proscriptions applies to you or not, if you are a believer. Many things are your own decision - whether you feel convicted eating meat or not, whether you feel right about celebrating a holiday or not...that's up to you.

Biblical sexual morality is not up to the believer. This has been violated since time immemorial and it is never right. I remember a discussion with one guy (not here) who insisted he was right with God to have a mistress because she was kind to his wife with Alzheimer's, so they all just lived together. He DESERVED this outlet for his frustration. One can make that case - and he did, vehemently - but one cannot make it scripturally. It is still adultery because he was sleeping with someone other than his wife.

Because he REALLY wanted to do it, and it made him happy, God must be fine with it in his particular case, he insisted.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't explain why your beliefs should be privileged in a pluralistic society where many people don't share them.
It isn't. People have been doing whatever they wanted without legal consequence for decades. That doesn't mean that others have to agree that this is wise.

But His way works; unfortunately society must go its own way, like the Roman Empire.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
No, it is not "up for debate", as it is settled in scripture. There are biblical churches and there are those who have gone astray into their own teachings on this (and other things). So it really isn't a matter to be personally determined as to whether God's requirements as to sexual proscriptions applies to you or not, if you are a believer. Many things are your own decision - whether you feel convicted eating meat or not, whether you feel right about celebrating a holiday or not...that's up to you.

Biblical sexual morality is not up to the believer. This has been violated since time immemorial and it is never right. I remember a discussion with one guy (not here) who insisted he was right with God to have a mistress because she was kind to his wife with Alzheimer's, so they all just lived together. He DESERVED this outlet for his frustration. One can make that case - and he did, vehemently - but one cannot make it scripturally. It is still adultery because he was sleeping with someone other than his wife.

Because he REALLY wanted to do it, and it made him happy, God must be fine with it in his particular case, he insisted.
She was his concubine. God was always OK with concubines

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
God was never "okay" with it. It has always been wrong.
Has slavery always been wrong? Because he sure gave some very detailed instructions on how to go about doing that. If no, when did he change his mind about it?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chapter and verse?
Deut. 17:14-17 - "When you come to the land which the Lord your God is giving you, and possess it and dwell in it, and say, ‘I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you shall surely set a king over you whom the Lord your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall not return that way again.’ 17 Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself."

Acts 17:30-31 "The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31 because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”"

• Winner
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Deut. 17:14-17 - "When you come to the land which the Lord your God is giving you, and possess it and dwell in it, and say, ‘I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you shall surely set a king over you whom the Lord your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall not return that way again.’ 17 Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself."
it also says that the King shouldn't multiply horses. Does that mean the King is allowed only one horse?

Yet David had 8 wives and at least 10 concubines 2 Samuel 20:3 and God himself said this wasn't a sin 1:Kings 15:5 and that God would have been happy to give David more wives and concubines.

Upvote 0