Teacher of the year suspended for showing picture of same-sex fiancee in class settles case

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A Texas art teacher who was placed on administrative leave after talking about "her future wife" in class hopes her settlement with a school district will change the lives of other LGBTQ people.

Stacy Bailey, who was on paid leave, reached a $100,000 settlement with the Mansfield Independent School District last week, her attorney said.

The district near Fort Worth agreed to remove the eight-month leave from her record, as well as offer mandatory training on LGBTQ issues to human resources and counseling staff in its schools.

The two-time teacher of the year was giving a welcome back to school presentation in August 2017 to her class when she showed a photo of her and her then-fiancee dressed as characters from the movie "Finding Nemo," according to court documents obtained by CNN.

A parent complained to the school, saying that Bailey was "promoting the homosexual agenda," according to court documents.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's tricky. But I don't see the logic in the protest, i.e. claiming that this is the same as promoting the homosexual agenda.
Obviously there are still pinheads in the Texas education system.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's tricky. But I don't see the logic in the protest, i.e. claiming that this is the same as promoting the homosexual agenda.

You're assuming that logic played a part in the protest.

I haven't read up on this, but I'm wondering if the parents knew she was gay before this incident, or if they were blindsided. If the latter, her very employment might have struck a nerve... and advocating SSM by conspiring to actually get married? Well, some things will not stand.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's like I posted, showing lgbt people doing stuff that straight people do every day is some how a agenda. No one bats a eye at a straight teacher showing her new fiance, but a gay person does it, and suddenly it's pushing a agenda.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's like I posted, showing lgbt people doing stuff that straight people do every day is some how a agenda. No one bats a eye at a straight teacher showing her new fiance, but a gay person does it, and suddenly it's pushing a agenda.

Of course... you can't show LGBT people acting like normal people or doing the same things that normal people do... because that's pretty much the definition of "normalizing" them...

... and we can't have that -- those people are going to bring God's wrath on this nation; just you wait...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do agree about a minority group making an issue out of something that is routine with other people. That often happens. I'm with you to that extent.

However, my focus here was on the teacher who, so it seems, thought referring to her coming marriage was not something other people wouldn't have done, but it was she who took the hit for having done so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This always angers me when people complain about this being gay agenda, or SJW pushing if it's in a show/movie or such when gays are shown to or do something that heterosexuals do all the time.

Heterosexuals do not get married to people of the same sex all the time. I would say that it was extremely rare if not non existent.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heterosexuals do not get married to people of the same sex all the time. I would say that it was extremely rare if not non existent.

getting married and having a fiance is something herterosexuals, your the one that brought up the gender as if it's relevant to the discussion, which it isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Texas art teacher who was placed on administrative leave after talking about "her future wife" in class hopes her settlement with a school district will change the lives of other LGBTQ people.

Stacy Bailey, who was on paid leave, reached a $100,000 settlement with the Mansfield Independent School District last week, her attorney said.

The district near Fort Worth agreed to remove the eight-month leave from her record, as well as offer mandatory training on LGBTQ issues to human resources and counseling staff in its schools.

The two-time teacher of the year was giving a welcome back to school presentation in August 2017 to her class when she showed a photo of her and her then-fiancee dressed as characters from the movie "Finding Nemo," according to court documents obtained by CNN.

A parent complained to the school, saying that Bailey was "promoting the homosexual agenda," according to court documents.

She got her 15 minutes and 100 grand settlement out of it. I think she'll survive.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that she was put through this because of hate but maybe some good will come of it all
The teacher could have been more accommodating to the religious children (those who are taught to actually follow their teachings) in the class as well. Why not, "Here are X and I as characters from a movie." ?

But she wouldn't get a hundred grand for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
getting married and having a fiance is something herterosexuals, your the one that brought up the gender as if it's relevant to the discussion, which it isn't.

I said nothing at all of gender. I was not the one that brought up heterosexuals either. I believe that was you.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I do agree about a minority group making an issue out of something that is routine with other people. That often happens. I'm with you to that extent.

Who exactly is the minority group?

The teacher here did something that most people would happily do: show off a picture of their fiancee.

Clearly she didn't think it was a big deal, and why should she? The school, however, thought it was a problem -- they suspended her.

However, my focus here was on the teacher who, so it seems, thought referring to her coming marriage was not something other people wouldn't have done, but it was she who took the hit for having done so.

Other people do it all the time -- this teacher was absolutely right. And she got suspended for doing something perfectly normal and innocuous.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Of course it's relevant. The controversy would not exist if she had shown a picture of her male fiance to the class.

Precisely -- the school singled her out for punishment solely because of the gender of her fiancee...

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Precisely -- the school singled her out for punishment solely because of the gender of her fiancee...

No it was because of the sex of her fiancée not the gender of her fiancée. AFAIK No one was told what her fiancée identified as. However, even if the teacher used a pronoun when speaking of her fiancée that fiancée may well have had a change of mind about what pronoun was appropriate before anyone protested the sex of the fiancée. So they could not possibly say what gender it/ they /he/ she /zee/ etc. was.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No it was because of the sex of her fiancée not the gender of her fiancée. AFAIK No one was told what her fiancée identified as.

And yet the teacher, who is herself female, identified the photo as "[her] future wife..."

However, even if the teacher used a pronoun when speaking of her fiancée that fiancée may well have had a change of mind about what pronoun was appropriate before anyone protested the sex of the fiancée. So they could not possibly say what gender it/ they /he/ she /zee/ etc. was.

Just saying, you don't need to be an English teacher to know the word "wife" carries certain connotations...

And the photograph of them together (granted, not the one she showed the class) leaves little room for doubt.

200227170252-03-teacher-lgbtq-settlement-exlarge-169.jpg

Upvote 0