Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In the words of the wise and sage dwight shrute "its better to be hurt by someone accidentally than by a stranger on purpose"

But ps...its disheartening to see so many news articles put the word accidentally in speech marks. As if it would have been anything else...
1MNmQr

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it differs based on state, but speaking for Ohio, the only difference is that you need to be 21 instead of 18 for a handgun. If you're purchasing from a large retailer that has full time people on staff running background checks (Like a Kames or Fin Feather & Fur), the process for buying either only takes about 5-10 minutes.

Even in terms of the training requirements for a CCW, most states are pretty lax. In Ohio, it's just a 12 hour course that you can knock out in a day. Other states are so laid back that you can do the whole process through the mail.

Even though I'm a gun guy and a CCW holder, I think the training requirements need to be boosted up a bit. I, at my own expense, have taken 200+ hours of firearm training with qualified instructors...as it's a right/privilege that I take seriously (both the benefits and risks/responsibilities). I don't think most people with guns or permits take it as seriously as I do which is unfortunate.
The debate on guns, from an outsiders perspective, isnt around someone like you. You sound as though you've grown up with guns, have a healthy and responsible attitude towards them. You are also law abiding and non-threatening. And lastly you know how to safely and responsibly handle and store your weapons and ammunition.

This debate is for the very large percentage who are less skilled, do not use guns responsibly, and who own weapons at a disproportionate level to their requirements. The debate is aimed at the very high levels of previously responsible men who in a heated moment pull out their gun and shoot their wife and children. And the debate rages because far from addressing the issues, the situation deteriorates further every year.

So the issue is not with YOU - The issue is with the collective which to date, has proven to be an irresponsible collective or you wouldn't have an incidence of gun deaths equating to a 9/11 every fortnight.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The issue is with the collective which to date, has proven to be an irresponsible collective or you wouldn't have an incidence of gun deaths equating to a 9/11 every fortnight.

This is amazing help to understanding when you it put into these terms. Well done.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does that make people crazy.
Supply and demand. When you limit supply that increases the demand. There was a book about delusions and the madness of crowds that explains this.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you should not have guns around kids e.g. in school,
Do you have any suggestions on how to keep weapons out of the schools? The students claim they need us to protect them from each other. When I was in school we pretty much had to protect ourselves and fight our own battles. Adults were not much help in protecting us from our fellow students. I had a lot of friend so it was not much of an issue. We watched out for each other.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Supply and demand. When you limit supply that increases the demand. There was a book about delusions and the madness of crowds that explains this.
Your going to have explain that better, friend.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you have any suggestions on how to keep weapons out of the schools? The students claim they need us to protect them from each other. When I was in school we pretty much had to protect ourselves and fight our own battles. Adults were not much help in protecting us from our fellow students. I had a lot of friend so it was not much of an issue. We watched out for each other.
How about a cultural shift? Maybe placing kid’s lives above the importance of the 2nd Amendment?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Arming teachers: what could go wrong?
On TV, someone said something like this > the accidental firing of the weapon in a California classroom was done by a retired(?) police officer/instructor who was giving a gun safety lesson. He made his point.

Why on earth would you bring guns into a classroom. What on earth !!!!
In order for a retired(?) police officer/instructor to help students to learn the need for gun safety, and to retire retired police officers/instructors from giving gun safety lessons in public schools.

This world is an evil world, not trustworthy. I think the Bible is pretty clear on this. So, when these screwballed things happen, I understand that this is sure to happen, in an evil and untrustworthy world. And if the people claiming they will correct things are also part of Satan's kingdom . . . I would not say they are to be assumed trustworthy, but pray and trust God about things.

This debate is for the very large percentage who are less skilled, do not use guns responsibly, and who own weapons at a disproportionate level to their requirements.
I think of how I lock my bike, not because I don't trust you but because I don't trust an untrustworthy person who might happen along. So, yeah, I would say there are laws needed for managing untrustworthy people and people who could easily assume they could easily handle a gun without much instruction and training.

In our church, I overheard one minister talking about how hard it is for him to shoot a pattern with his handgun. And he has practiced at least a hundred times, I think he said.

There are things we might not know we don't know.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums