• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Teacher Fired After Shaming 5th Grader for Having Two Dads

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Archivist, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM.

1. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,252
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SPF

SPF Well-Known Member

+1,556
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Agreed, though this was a tough one for me. As a foster parent, knowing what children in the foster system go through, reading this made me very sad for the child involved, and very angry with the teacher for causing the child to go through that. It was wrong. Children in foster care go through enough.

On the "backend" of discussions, not involving the innocent child, I would say that as a Christian I don't support homosexual couples fostering or adopting.

3. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,042
    Christian
    Single
  4. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,457
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Absolutely inappropriate conduct by the teacher. Bringing one's personal agenda into the classroom is abhorrent and should always lead to dismissal.

5. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,042
    Christian
    Single
    Christ is not Lord in the classroom?

6. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,457
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Christ is Lord. A teacher is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+4,833
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

You do not shame a child publicly for what is not his fault. He has nothing to do with what adults do. No child is guilty of the sin of his parents. It's like in the past when children where shamed for being orphans, or having only one parent, or born out of wedlock. Not their fault.

8. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,042
    Christian
    Single
    The child was not being corrected because of the wickedness of his parents. He was being corrected for chirping about that wickedness in the class.

9. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+4,833
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others
    He has to keep the fact that he loves his 2 dads a secret??? It's Thanksgiving and he is grateful for 2 dads when some don 't have any! So what! I am not pro-gay---but I am not censoring a child's gratefulness and love for those who are raising him.

10. SPF

SPF Well-Known Member

+1,556
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    A child who was living in the foster system, who’s mom (most of the kids in foster care actually just have the mom in the picture), had her parental rights terminated by the state, and who was forced to live with who knows how many foster parents (many of which aren’t good), was actually being adopted.

You clearly have no clue what these innocent children go through. Who knows what physical and emotional turmoil this child endured that caused the state to terminate his own parents rights.

He was thankful for being adopted. The teacher snapped at him. The teacher told him it was nothing to be thankful for.

Your ignorance is honestly barely excusable.

11. Archivist

+4,252
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    My understanding is that the students were saying what they were thankful for. He said he was thankful for being adopted by his two dads. The teacher had no business correcting him for “chirping about that wickedness in the class.” The only one who exhibited wicked behavior here was the teacher. Thankfully she was shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,893
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    The teacher was insensitive and really overstepped her bounds. I agree this was a fireable offense.

13. SwordmanJr

SwordmanJr Double-edged Sword only

+208
    Christian
    Private
    You know something? If others were as unforgiving toward you as you are toward that teacher, to say you hope such a one does not ever teach again (which elicits even the allowance to do so), I dare say that you would then understand how unjust that is. What if others said to you that they hope you never drive again after one speeding ticket? Would that make you feel they are forgiving, or unforgiving?

Some of you people who slam others so easily for their sins, walking about mostly blind because of the massive planks in your own eyes, need to get a grip on yourselves and clean out the planks in your eyes.

Jr

14. Archivist

+4,252
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    So it is perfectly acceptable for the teacher to be unforgiving toward the student, but wrong to say that she was justly fired for her actions? No, there is nothing wrong with saying that this person does not belong in the classroom. She does not.

She is an adult. Her actions were directed towards an 11-year-old boy. He may never fully recover from what she said.

Yes, like all human beings I have planks in my own eyes. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God, and if we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves. But those planks are not in my eyes because I have shamed children, which is what this teacher did. There is nothing wrong with standing up for the child. This woman should not be teaching.

BTW, there is a big difference between what this teacher did to this child, and getting a ticket for driving 60 in a 55 zone.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:46 AM
  15. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,114
    Anglican
    Married
    The issue is public shaming of a child, not the subject matter itself. If you publically shame children you should find a different line of work. Period.