Teacher Facing Assault Charge for Alleged Spanking.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(July 30) -- A high school teacher in Connecticut is in hot water after spanking an unruly student, police say.

Francis Hajosy, 54, of Stafford, has been charged with fourth-degree sexual assault and second-degree breach of peace for the incident, which occurred last month in his classroom at Enfield High School, according to court documents.

Connecticut High School Teacher Faces Assault Charge in Spanking Incident

theblackcat

tiptoeing in
Jul 29, 2010
Currently living in the USA
✟15,166.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Based on the article, his actions sound entirely inappropriate. There are appropriate disciplinary measures he could have used to respond to the student's bad attitude, or he could have called on another professor or administrator to step in. Without explicit parental permission, I don't think it's legal for a person to spank a child. I also don't think it's ever legal in the US public school system, though I could be wrong. In any case, he teaches high school, so this student is at least 12 or 13, right? Probably older? That's too old for spankings. I wonder what made him think that was the correct way to respond to a girl who put her feet on a desk and sprayed glue.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps the charges are a bit extreme, as the assault wasn't sexual in nature from what I gather, but at the same time the teacher needs to realize it isn't 1960 and discipline measures have changed standards over the time.

You don't spank kids that aren't yours, and that's the bottom line. I don't think the teacher should be punished beyond a reasonable fine and dismissed from teaching without severance.

At our school you were sent from the class so you didn't disturb the class anymore; taking class time aside to spank a student just seems like a waste of other kids' learning opportunities.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
(July 30) -- A high school teacher in Connecticut is in hot water after spanking an unruly student, police say.

Francis Hajosy, 54, of Stafford, has been charged with fourth-degree sexual assault and second-degree breach of peace for the incident, which occurred last month in his classroom at Enfield High School, according to court documents.

Connecticut High School Teacher Faces Assault Charge in Spanking Incident

I was going to say the teacher was lucky to not be hit with sexual charges after reading the title. Guess he wasn't lucky.

All in all, if he gets hit with sexual abuse charges, then the girl should be charged with attempted murder via poisoning (spraying the stuff in the air like that) and with physical assault.

While I admit the teacher should not have acted this way, the student isn't what I would call a victim.

And for some reason, I am willing to bet the teacher would get off much easier if he was a young female instead of an older male.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
You know, reading the article, I would've reacted in the exact same way as the teacher. Or as least I would have liked to.

...which also explains why I don't want to become a teacher. Especially not for high school children.

Anyway. Yes, inappropriate, guy should be fired etc. But "fourth degree sexual assault"? The story doesn't indicate that he was doing it for any sexual reasons. Then why the sexual assault charge?

Upvote 0

Chyke4real

Love lives on
Jan 16, 2010
Nigeria
✟7,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We may never be able to understand people's actions untill we find ourselves in similar situations. The student may have deliberately wanted to infuriate her teacher by such act of indiscipline, i hope the police take that into cognizance too while investigating the issue. It would have been lot better had the teacher mustered enough measure of self control.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
She might have deserved it,
My first few years in school, she would have gotten it(but by a female teacher).
But now adays just put her out of class, then put her out again next time she acts up. Kids learn how to get out of a boring class, and how to play the system. We need to put in place real consequences for misbehaving, not just sitting in a room(detention), or being sent home(suspension).

Problem students are one reason our schools are doing so poorly in educating the kids. How many times does a kid have to be sent out of the classroom before the student is permanently removed from the class?

This could have been a one time occurance, but it could have been the thousandth.
No one is allowed to touch another person, unless they are touched first.
ie: you can not strike someone unless they strike you first.(as a general rule)
This was simple assualt, unless there is proof of something more. Spanking isn't automatically sexual.

In the teacher student fight, who ever cracks first loses. If the student swings, he/she loses.
If the teacher swings first, the teacher loses, and loses big, since they will not be able to find work as a teacher again, the student
will be back in class after a suspension, or even worse case scenerio expulsion. And will be a hero if the teacher was not well liked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
This was simple assualt, unless there is proof of something more. Spanking isn't automatically sexual.

It's automatically assumed if it's a man doing the spanking; had it been a woman, we would have a whole different set of lesser charges.

Upvote 0