GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
You all heard of those little creatures called germs right? What if I told you that there's absolutely no absolute proof that they cause disease? For all scientists know it's demons that cause the sickness. That's why prayer always works, if it doesn't, it's because you weren't praying hard enough or you're a closet satanist! Germ theory is just that, a THEORY! It's not obvservable, so it must be assumed false! But we can actually see the demons transfering sickness from cell to cell, with our Christ-o-matic telescope.
We've determined the demons look a lot like this:
virusinfluenza.jpg

It's about time they allow christian science into the science classroom, where god-fearing christians can be taught real science without being persecuted for their beliefs by elitist-facist-racial theorist-neo nazi Evolutionists and their Evolutionism. Don't you people know that the great winds blew water all the way to Mars?
mars%20water%20lake.jpg

God bless America:priest:

That's a combination of every single argument in the last two days (I think). I see nothing wrong with my argument.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Grengor said:
Germ theory is just that, a THEORY!

It is a theory. Healthy people who are clean usually do not have to worry to much about "germs". Bacteria is there to break down organisms so they can be recycled. The problem is that when people get close to death, the bacteria does not know the difference and it starts to go to work on them to break them down and turn them into plant food (fertilizer).

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grengor said:
You all heard of those little creatures called germs right? What if I told you that there's absolutely no absolute proof that they cause disease? For all scientists know it's demons that cause the sickness. That's why prayer always works, if it doesn't, it's because you weren't praying hard enough or you're a closet satanist! Germ theory is just that, a THEORY! It's not obvservable, so it must be assumed false! But we can actually see the demons transfering sickness from cell to cell, with our Christ-o-matic telescope.
We've determined the demons look a lot like this:
virusinfluenza.jpg

It's about time they allow christian science into the science classroom, where god-fearing christians can be taught real science without being persecuted for their beliefs by elitist-facist-racial theorist-neo nazi Evolutionists and their Evolutionism. Don't you people know that the great winds blew water all the way to Mars?
mars%20water%20lake.jpg

God bless America:priest:

That's a combination of every single argument in the last two days (I think). I see nothing wrong with my argument.

Um. Germs and their effects actually is something we observe in the present.

I think that one sentence pretty much destroys your entire analogy. Not much more really needs to be said.

Upvote 0

madarab

Nov 15, 2002
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7, you're not one of the snake-handling, strychnine- drinking Christians, are you?

If what you area saying is true, then we can safely expose you to anthrax bacilli. You can be as healthy as you want. We'll only expose you directly to clean, pure anthrax bacilli. Do you really think that you will stay healthy? *sighs*

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jet Black said:
rubbish! no germ has ever been observed killing someone. their presence is merely a result of their attraction to demons.

I think the point of the thread was to draw an analogy between his OP and the creationist approach to origins. Creationist do not make any arguments like the above. If you disagree please carefully make a comparison. Warning! It will require some thinking. Getting scientists to think philosophically has never been an easy task, in my experience.

BTW, I noticed you went silent on your mustard seed thread. Has that issue finally been put to rest for you?

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Calminian said:
I think the point of the thread was to draw an analogy between his OP and the creationist approach to origins.
Jet Black’s point was a simple refutation of your claim about germs (with a little levity thrown in).
Getting scientists to think philosophically has never been an easy task, in my experience.
This may be your experience, but I’m sure many scientists are perfectly capable of philosophic thought. While engaged in research, however, a scientist no more needs to refer to philosophy than does a bus driver while loading luggage.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Interestingly, the only people I've found who think that scientists particularly struggle with philosophy are creationists.

Could it be that "getting scientists to think philosophically" when spoken by a YEC actually means "getting scientists to accept a priori my particular religiously derived presuppositions"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Jet Black said:
rubbish! no germ has ever been observed killing someone. their presence is merely a result of their attraction to demons.
Calminian said:
Creationist do not make any arguments like the above.
Ohhhh?
Creationist said:
Rubbish! No organism has ever been observed evolving into another kind! Their presence is merely a result of their being created by God.

Upvote 0

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
Creationist do not make any arguments like the above.
We don't KNOW that Evolution happened.
We don't KNOW the Earth is old, it's just given the appearance to test our faith!
We don't KNOW that the universe is billions of years old, there must be a fundalmental change that we could detect but for some reason we haven't!
We don't KNOW radiometric dating is usefull, again, there must be a fundalmental change in the merged universe! How do I know? Because I can make up anything I want and still be right! Haleluyah!:clap:

Upvote 0

ChrisPelletier

Sep 10, 2005
✟7,951.00
Faith
Agnostic
JohnR7 said:
It is a theory. Healthy people who are clean usually do not have to worry to much about "germs". Bacteria is there to break down organisms so they can be recycled. The problem is that when people get close to death, the bacteria does not know the difference and it starts to go to work on them to break them down and turn them into plant food (fertilizer).

oh yeah, thats it. ;) Its also nice to know people can exist in their own little worlds where science doens't matter. We now call that place kansas.

It is quotes like this one that i wonder why my head has not exploded yet.

Upvote 0

And-U-Say

Veteran
Oct 11, 2004
California
✟19,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
Interestingly, the only people I've found who think that scientists particularly struggle with philosophy are creationists.

Could it be that "getting scientists to think philosophically" when spoken by a YEC actually means "getting scientists to accept a priori my particular religiously derived presuppositions"?

Absolutely true. I know a couple hundred scientists and its actually kind of hard to keep them from talking about philosophy. A favorite topic. But as you say, it must not be the "right" philosophy.

Upvote 0

FreezBee

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
Southern Copenhagen
✟1,704.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And-U-Say said:
I know a couple hundred scientists and its actually kind of hard to keep them from talking about philosophy. A favorite topic. But as you say, it must not be the "right" philosophy.
Yes, I happen to have studied philosophy before delving into applied sciences - I still need to go for extended vacations each time a scientist speaks about philosophy.

But compared to, when POLITICIANS talk about philosophy - there you have a crime against humanity, if ever there was one!

cheers

- FreezBee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
JohnR7 said:

So then what are the genes in bacteria that specifically target and subvert the biological systems in order to invade and colonize living organism for? I mean if they are just trying to break down dead organisms, why in the world would something like Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi (which is adapted specifically to cause disease in humans) invade and subvert human phagocytic cells and the use them as a transport mechanism to further infect other tissues? They have genes that are specific for just this thing, and they'd be entirely useless for breaking down a dead organisms.

And here is a bit of primary research if you want to read more about it:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=97241

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dannager said:

Exactly. No kind of animal has ever been observed changing into another kind. Creationists define evolution as the adding of new information. Whether or not you agree with the new information argument, this is not analogous to the OPers hypothetical argument.

Upvote 0

TheBigAl

Aug 28, 2005
✟7,961.00
Faith
Catholic
Calminian said:
Exactly. No kind of animal has ever been observed changing into another kind. Creationists define evolution as the adding of new information. Whether or not you agree with the new information argument, this is not analogous to the OPers hypothetical argument.

His “Ohh?” Wasn’t referring to that at all. Don’t run away from the topic.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Calminian said:

And yet creationists refuse to define "kind" and "information". It's a bit like saying "You can't build a tendilistria."

"What is a tendilistria?"

"Something you can't build."

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the interest of teaching the controversy, it’s my opinion that all students should be taught about the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory as an alternative to evolution.

Why won’t Erwin give us an FSM faith icon? I bet that would be at least as popular as the “Taoist” one.

Upvote 0