Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this interesting...

Link to story: Lawsuit Claims Unlawful Distribution of 'Charitable Assets' by TBN Directors, Christian News
Link to court document: http://taxdollars.ocregister.com/files/2012/02/Koper-Complaint.pdf

Fraud, sexual assault, lethal threats... yummy stuff indeed.

"A lawsuit recently filed by the former head of finance for the Trinity Broadcasting Network claims that the directors of the widely-viewed Christian television network have illegally taken advantage of more than $50 million in "charitable assets" for their own good.

Brittany B. Koper, granddaughter to TBN founders Paul and Jan Crouch, previously served as the chief financial officer, director of finance, corporate treasurer and director of human resources for Trinity Christian Center of Santa Ana, which conducts business as TBN. Tymothy MacLeod, Koper's attorney in the lawsuit, believes that what Koper has revealed explains a lot about the Crouch family's spending habits."

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Link to story: Lawsuit Claims Unlawful Distribution of 'Charitable Assets' by TBN Directors, Christian News
Link to court document: http://taxdollars.ocregister.com/files/2012/02/Koper-Complaint.pdf

"A lawsuit recently filed by the former head of finance for the Trinity Broadcasting Network claims that the directors of the widely-viewed Christian television network have illegally taken advantage of more than $50 million in "charitable assets" for their own good.

Brittany B. Koper, granddaughter to TBN founders Paul and Jan Crouch, previously served as the chief financial officer, director of finance, corporate treasurer and director of human resources for Trinity Christian Center of Santa Ana, which conducts business as TBN. Tymothy MacLeod, Koper's attorney in the lawsuit, believes that what Koper has revealed explains a lot about the Crouch family's spending habits."

While I am sure that those that dislike TBN will find an immense amount of satisfaction with this story, there appears to be a whole lot more to it. It seems that the grandaughter and her husband were forced to leave TBN recently and return a substantial amount of property and money to the ministry that they had misapproprated themselves. They are also accused in missapropriation of funds from another christian nonprofit. Her lawsuit against TBN's lawyers began after this event. And it is a suit against TBN's attorneys, not TBN itself.

In addition, her attorney is the same attorney that recently represented another client trying to get money from TBN, he appeaars to be on a personal mission to bring down the network.

Also, Paul Crouch Jr., the father of the accuser in this case, and they accused in the other, was removed from TBN's board of directors and resigned his employment there. He is now working for another network.

None of us know what actually happened, but after reading several different stories on this, it seems to me that the grandaughter got caught with her hand in the cookie jar at TBN as well as another ministry and was pressured to give the stuff back and resign. She is now embarked on a mission of revenge. If true, it actually may end up being a plus postive for TBN, if the facts end up showing that TBN didn't allow one of their own, (a family member), to missapropriate property and funds; which resulted in this cascade of events.

Peace...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I am sure that those that dislike TBN will find an immense amount of satisfaction with this story, there appears to be a whole lot more to it. It seems that the grandaughter and her husband were forced to leave TBN recently and return a substantial amount of property and money to the ministry that they had misapproprated themselves. They are also accused in missaprpiation of funds from another nonprofit.

Their attorney is the same attorney that recently represented another client trying to get money from TBN, he appeaars to be on a personal mission to bring down the network.

Also, Paul Crouch Jr., the father of the accuser in this case, and they accused in the other, was removed from TBN's board of directors and resigned.

Peace...

That's all in the court document under the threats part. The TBN lawsuit was dismissed without settlement. In other words, it was without substance.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She is now embarked on a mission of revenge.

To the tune of "at least" $2.5 million!

From the article in the OP;
"...Koper is seeking at least $2.5 million in damages in the suit, including over half a million dollars for what she and her husband allegedly returned to TBN after they were fired..."
I have no idea what actually happened, but I do find it interesting that Ms. Koper is seeking "at least" $2.5 million of her own.

At this point all we have is the conflicting testimonies of each involved party, so I'll withhold further comment until there is something more concrete.

:cool:

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yummy stuff -

Jerry_Springer.jpg

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It'll be intersting to see what comes of this. I especially find the part concerning the gun interesting.

My guess is that it will be settled for an undisclosed amount and TV rights. Then within a year of settlement, the 'made for TV' movie will be on ABC.

Any other different guesses?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we see all this sin in the church we know that the Lord is coming soon to give each one according to what he has done. Come Lord Jesus. :amen:

Indeed. Let them be rewarded according to their works.

Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works
2 Tim 4:14

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple more links on an interesting event:

Crouch granddaughter not backing down - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register

‘God help anyone who would …get in the way of TBN’ - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register

Interesting quote in the links, I thought...

“You know what’s funny Dad?” Matt said. “There have been a few attempts in the TBN history to upset TBN, to stop TBN, to — there have been a few fools in the 38, 39 year history, coming up on 40 years, and you know what, any attempt at stopping TBN — they have no idea who they’re actually pushing into the corner. You and Mom get pushed in a corner, God help you. That’s a lesson I’ve learned from you, seriously.”

Paul Crouch responded: “God help anyone who would try to get in the way of TBN, which was God’s plan. … I have attended the funerals of at least two people who tried….

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recent update:

New lawsuit filed by Joseph McVeigh, uncle to the Crouch's granddaughter who filed her lawsuit recently, and former TBN employee.

Court document: http://taxdollars.ocregister.com/files/2012/02/McVeigh-complaint.pdf

Link: Suit: ‘Cover-ups of sexual and criminal scandals’ at TBN - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register

Details from article (bolded items are direct from article, not from me):

The suit then delves into much more detail regarding the “unlawful and unreported income distributions to Trinity Broadcasting’s directors” than Koper’s suit does, including:
  • “Multiple jet aircraft, including a $50 million ’Global Express‘ luxury jet aircraft purchased for the personal use of the Crouches through a sham loan to an alter ego corporation set up by the directors of Trinity Broadcasting in Florida, as well as an $8 million Hawker jet aircraft purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for the personal use of director Janice Crouch;
  • “Multiple motor vehicles, including a $100,000 motor home purchased by Trinity Broadcasting as a mobile residence for director Janice Crouch’s dogs; the latest Bentley recently purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for director Paul Crouch, Sr.; the most recent Denali purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for director Janice Crouch; a new Suburban recently purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for director Matthew Crouch; and numerous other vehicles;
  • “Multiple residential estates falsely reported as ‘guest homes’ or ‘church parsonages’ to avoid income disclosures, even though they are maintained by Trinity Broadcasting for Paul Crouch, Sr.’s personal use in Newport Beach, California; another mansion purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for the personal use of Paul and Janice Crouch in Nashville, Tennessee; residential property purchased by Trinity Broadcasting Florida for the personal use of Paul and Janice Crouch in Miami, Florida; residential property purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for the personal use of Paul and Janice Crouch in Irving, Texas; two homes purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for the personal use of Matthew Crouch in Irving, Texas, although one of the homes is used by his sons; three more homes purchased by Trinity Broadcasting for Matthew Crouch’s personal use in Costa Mesa, California (adjacent residential properties occupied by Matthew Crouch, his wife, and his two sons); a cabin in Lake Arrowhead, California purchased by Trinity Broadcasting and reserved solely for the personal use of Trinity Broadcasting board members; another mansion purchased by Trinity Broadcasting San Marcos for Janice Crouch’s personal use in Newport Beach, California; and two more mansions next door to one anothcr that were purchased by Trinity Broadcasting Florida for the personal use of Paul Crouch, Sr. and Janice Crouch in Windermere, Florida.
  • Multiple other perquisites, including meal expenses on the order of $300,000 to $500,000 per year for each director of Trinity Broadcasting; hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional credit card reimbursements for each director; personal chauffeurs compensated with Trinity Broadcasting funds under the guise of “medical payments”; fictitious ‘rent’ (and expenses) and other ‘donations’ paid to Paul and Janice Crouch for the fictitious use of a home owned by those directors in Newport Beach, California (even though the residence sits empty); and tens of thousands of dollars in ’redecorating’ expenses paid each year for such items as stain removal in the Crouch mansions;
  • “Multiple backchannel distributions, kickbacks, and related schemes, such as tens of millions of dollars distributed through a company owned by TBN director Matthew Crouch, called Gener8xion Entertainment; a revocable trust account scheme by which Trinity Broadcasting’s directors were paid returns above market rate on invested funds, with Trinity Broadcasting paying the difference as undisclosed distributions to the directors; fraudulent accounting schemes by which Trinity Broadcasting luxury assets (such as the $50 million jet aircraft used by Paul Crouch Sr.) are falsely held on the books of other corporations controlled by Trinity Broadcasting’s same directors; falsely reporting income received and controlled by Trinity Broadcasting as income purportedly received and controlled by third-party corporations to avoid financial disclosures and adverse tax consequences; routine assignment of sham ‘business purposes’ to the use of Trinity Broadcasting’s luxury assets (such as frequent vacations around the world on corporate jets); and fraudulent donation and kickback schemes involving third party ‘ministries’ and entities owned or controlled through Trinity Broadcasting’s directors; and
  • “Multiple cover-ups of sexual and criminal scandals, including the cover-up and destruction of evidence concerning a bloody sexual assault involving Trinity Broadcasting and affiliated Holy Land Experience employees; the cover-up of director Janice Crouch’s affair with a staff member at the Holy Land Experience; the cover-up of director Paul Crouch’s use of Trinity Broadcasting funds to pay for a legal settlement with Enoch Lonnie Ford (a former TBN employee who said he had a homosexual affair with Paul Crouch); the cover-up following director Matthew Crouch’s exposure of his genitals to cleaning staff on multiple occasions; under-the-table payments to avoid liability and punitive damages in the ongoing David Rhodes wrongful death suit, including payments funneled through All American TV, Inc., a nonprofit corporation controlled by Trinity Broadcasting’s general counsel, John Casoria; falsification of records transmitted to the South Coast Air Quality Management District in California; and the list continues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's always tragic to hear that corruption has entered into any Christian ministry. :(

They say money is the root of all evil. I disagree. I think it's the rabid desire for money and material possessions, that plants the root that spawns the evil some example in order to acquire their greatest worldly desires.
That too is tragic. And far reaching in the number of people it impacts.

May Justice find a way. And may God protect the good people within TBN.

Upvote 0

LBP

GONE
Apr 5, 2010
✟910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Much as I despise TBN, and I could hardly despise them more, I do find it odd (from an experienced lawyer's perspective) that a plaintiff making allegations of this magnitude would hire a lawyer who is unrated in Martindale-Hubbell (essentially unheard-of for a lawyer of any experience), has virtually no profile on WestLaw (you'll find his name in precisely two reported cases - even little ol' me is in about 25), and whose firm's website is "under construction." If I were about to embark on serious, multi-million-dollar litigation, this is not who I would retain by any stretch of the imagination. The various complaints also have very much the feel of being written as sensationally as possible to ensure they receive plenty of media attention - none of this detail is required in a pleading (although "sensationalized" pleadings are certainly a common litigation strategy).

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Much as I despise TBN, and I could hardly despise them more, I do find it odd (from an experienced lawyer's perspective) that a plaintiff making allegations of this magnitude would hire a lawyer who is unrated in Martindale-Hubbell (essentially unheard-of for a lawyer of any experience), has virtually no profile on WestLaw (you'll find his name in precisely two reported cases - even little ol' me is in about 25), and whose firm's website is "under construction." If I were about to embark on serious, multi-million-dollar litigation, this is not who I would retain by any stretch of the imagination. The various complaints also have very much the feel of being written as sensationally as possible to ensure they receive plenty of media attention - none of this detail is required in a pleading (although "sensationalized" pleadings are certainly a common litigation strategy).

I wouldn't even attempt to even try to address your concerns, and they seem quite reasonable to me.

I am very interested to see what comes of all this though, because a good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor a bad tree bear good fruit, and I want to see if it's their time for a full blossom of bad fruit.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
"Sensationalized". Yep, that the word that comes to mind.

Just the fact that these are the details in a lawsuit against them speaks volumes. I don't know if anyone here looses perspective over seeing these allegations, but in America we consider a person innocent until proven guilty. This is the standard in criminal law cases, and the only intelligent position when someone unconnected with law enforcement chooses to bring a bunch of accusations against someone else to try to get money out of them!

Consider some of the complaints: A $100,000 motor home bought to keep someone's dogs in? And houses kept on the books as parsonages, but are for "Crouch Family usage", but then later it mentions that they never spend any time there, so they shouldn't need to remodel them yearly?

If they don't spend time in them, how does anyone know what their secret, intended purpose is? Or when someone happened to put their dogs in a motor home one day, that also happened to belong to TBN but was parked on their property (also a TBN home), does that mean that TBN bought the motor home specifically as a perk for this person's personal usage?

This is what I see as a HS educated person reading the file. :cool:

Upvote 0