✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well...what did Jesus say?

18A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

19“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 20You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’ a

21“All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.

22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

23When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. 24Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! 25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

This wasn't 10, 20. 30, 40 , 95% but ALL
So was Jesus the 1st thief of the rich?

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Most Christians (love to) assume, that it only applied to that particular poor rich guy (pardon the pun!), lol!

But then we also have this verse:

1 John 3:16-18
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

And let's not forget about Zacchaeus.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are you implying that this passage is explaining that we must give money to enter Heaven?

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

- Jesus - Matthew 25

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

18A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

19“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 20You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’ a

23When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. 24Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! 25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

The idea that taxing the rich is theft is a meme created by the wealthy and passed through society. It is the result of the belief that the super wealthy are not expected to be part of society because they have achieved an elevated status above normal people.

The truth is taxation is a required component of government. EVERY government is supported by taxation. Not requiring the wealthy to participate in taxation is a sure sign that corruption exists within government.

It is interesting to do a computer search on such key words as wealth an rich. One will see thread of thinking throughout the Bible that speaks against those people who accumulate wealth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

- Jesus - Matthew 25
Are you explaining that you believe that if you give materials and money away, you will be assured a seat in the kingdom?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are you explaining that you believe that if you give materials and money away, you will be assured a seat in the kingdom?
No.

Upvote 0

LoveOurNeighbor

Oct 12, 2019
WILMINGTON
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not...Just explaining that taxing the rich to help the poor is not theft but the just thing to do.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“And when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, nor shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the LORD your God.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not...Just explaining that taxing the rich to help the poor is not theft but the just thing to do.
Is it though? or is the thing to do to help them without force of law?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where does Jesus or the Apostles say that we should tax the rich? Where does Jesus or the Apostles say we should force people to give?
If I could winner that a million times I would.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveOurNeighbor

Oct 12, 2019
WILMINGTON
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does Jesus or the Apostles say that we should tax the rich? Where does Jesus or the Apostles say we should force people to give?

Where does it say that taxing the rich is theft...?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How was Jesus a "thief"? Jesus didn't take anything from the man, nor did he give anything to the poor. It is clear you do not understand the passage.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with that.... Do you think it would be ok for me to try and become rich....so that I can be taxed more and, thereby, help the poor more?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no problem with that.... Do you think it would be ok for me to try and become rich....so that I can be taxed more and, thereby, help the poor more?
depends on what you mean by try to become rich.

Upvote 0