Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟12,415.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The other thread had me wondering about this. There are many good reasons why people shouldn't be allowed to sell their organs (and some reasons why they should) and this isn't a debate about that. But I was wondering if a compromise could be reached by giving tax discounts on the estate taxes of people who DO donate after they have died. Although I was young enough not to have to deal with it the last time one of my relatives died, I understand that estate taxes are pretty hefty. Providing a lower estate tax for organ donors could be a gentle monetary incentive for more people do donate.

What do you think?

If yes, should such a tax break apply to anyone who wants to be an organ donor regardless of health, or on those who possess healthy organs that can be donated, or only those with successful donations--3% for one organ, 6% for two, etc...?

And if you are not currently an organ donor, would that be enough to persuade you to become one?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Current estate taxes really don't affect that many persons. Only the amount over $5 million is subject to federal estate taxes. Not many potential organ donors have estates that large. (And a spouse gets an unlimited exemption, no matter how big the estate.) Although, the current law expires at the end of this year. If it isn't renewed, anything over $1,000,000 will be taxed. Which will affect more families. But with good estate planning--especially setting up living trusts--estate taxes can be avoided. Maybe giving a tax credit to living donors might increase the supply of kidneys, bone marrow, and lung and liver tissue available.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What do you think?

If yes, should such a tax break apply to anyone who wants to be an organ donor regardless of health, or on those who possess healthy organs that can be donated, or only those with successful donations--3% for one organ, 6% for two, etc...?

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "blood money."

Upvote 0

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "blood money."

I guess just like I did in the other thread, I'll ask: How so?

In some places, people are paid for giving blood.. do you consider that an issue as well?

To be fair, that has never stopped a single one of us before. C'mon, indulge us. ;)

I like to exhibit some form of self control... on occasion :D I can tell you it has nothing to do with religion if that's the curiosity.

I just don't like how the system works. It's more complicated than that obviously, but that's the gist of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I guess just like I did in the other thread, I'll ask: How so?

Free Enterprise -- it's illegal to sell your organs... except to the government.

That sound fair to you?

In some places, people are paid for giving blood.. do you consider that an issue as well?

is it the government buying the blood?

Capitalism is supposed to be the cornerstone of our society -- so if there's going to be a money for organs program, do it right -- a legal free market on human organs, and level the playing field.

Why not?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I like to exhibit some form of self control... on occasion :D I can tell you it has nothing to do with religion if that's the curiosity.

I just don't like how the system works. It's more complicated than that obviously, but that's the gist of it.

Send me a PM if you want. I'm still interested to know. :)

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The other thread had me wondering about this. There are many good reasons why people shouldn't be allowed to sell their organs (and some reasons why they should) and this isn't a debate about that. But I was wondering if a compromise could be reached by giving tax discounts on the estate taxes of people who DO donate after they have died. Although I was young enough not to have to deal with it the last time one of my relatives died, I understand that estate taxes are pretty hefty. Providing a lower estate tax for organ donors could be a gentle monetary incentive for more people do donate.

What do you think?

And if you are not currently an organ donor, would that be enough to persuade you to become one?

No.. estate taxes aren't as big a burden to the majority of Americans as the right wants us to believe, and we don't need to link any benefit to organ donation.

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Oct 29, 2008
✟12,415.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
is it the government buying the blood?

As a matter of fact, they are. Perhaps through a state-funded hospital, but it amounts to the same thing.

Capitalism is supposed to be the cornerstone of our society -- so if there's going to be a money for organs program, do it right -- a legal free market on human organs, and level the playing field.

Why not?

Point me somewhere in the Constitution that says capitalism is a cornerstone of our society, for starters.

I'm not saying capitalism is bad. But it's not good either. Pure capitalism is just as dangerous as pure communism, and the healthiest, wealthiest, highest-standard-of-living countries in the world are the ones trying to find a good balance between these two systems. Capitalism is great when you're talking about goods, food, labor, etc. But there are some transactions that it handles very poorly, and I think organ donation would be one of them.

Although I believe people have a right to control their own bodies, I think that the damage and potential for abuse within a free-market for organs is too great. For one thing, most people don't donate until after they are dead, so it would be other people getting paid for their organs, not themselves. If the implications of that don't strike you as dangerous, I'm not sure what would.

I like what Jayem said about getting a tax credit while one was alive though. It would directly benefit the people who put themselves on the donor list, but wouldn't require the actual delivery of their organs first, so much less chance of abuse.

Plenty of people have put themselves on donor lists for free. I'm not sure why offering light monetary compensation would be a problem, so long as it didn't affect the way the organs were distributed or harvested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As a matter of fact, they are. Perhaps through a state-funded hospital, but it amounts to the same thing.

let's talk more when we know for certain that state-funded hospitals are buying body parts.

Point me somewhere in the Constitution that says capitalism is a cornerstone of our society, for starters.

it's right there next to the part about it being illegal to buy and sell organs.

I'm not saying capitalism is bad. But it's not good either. Pure capitalism is just as dangerous as pure communism, and the healthiest, wealthiest, highest-standard-of-living countries in the world are the ones trying to find a good balance between these two systems. Capitalism is great when you're talking about goods, food, labor, etc. But there are some transactions that it handles very poorly, and I think organ donation would be one of them.

Why? If it's valuable enough for the government to buy from us, why shouldn't private citizens benefit as well?

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Oct 29, 2008
✟12,415.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
let's talk more when we know for certain that state-funded hospitals are buying body parts.

Since it is blood, not body parts, that they are buying, I'm not sure what your point is.

Actually I guess it's technically plasma that they buy, not blood. I knew a couple of guys who would sell their plasma every now and then, because they could eat for two weeks on one sale.

it's right there next to the part about it being illegal to buy and sell organs.

I wasn't claiming that not selling organs is a cornerstone of our society.

Why? If it's valuable enough for the government to buy from us, why shouldn't private citizens benefit as well?

Which is why I was suggesting a tax break for donors.

Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
I ended up pointing this out on one of the other several organ donation threads, but I do not think tax breaks or credits are the answer, nor is the issue that people somehow just resent people using their organs after they die. I believe most people are resistant to organ donation because of a lack of trust of the medical profession.

People think they will make choices based on money, and want to remove that motive from the thinking of anyone working on them personally.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

What do you think?

I do not believe there should be. I don't feel that we should offer incentive such as that to people for organ donation - they used to do the same with reduced driver's license fees and the like, which was an analogous situation - people should do as they feel is right, not because of money (even taxes after death).

For background on my opinion of this issue:
I am an organ donor, and have been since I was 17. And will remain so. Though I realize there are only a few organs they can take from me that will be any good by the time of my death.

Upvote 0