✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there any interest?

I was thinking that parties who want to participate could read some excerpt from the Fathers or other admirable Orthodox writers - or something quite different, if desired, not necessarily officially Orthodox - and then all post responses on the same day, which could then be the beginning of a discussion.

Or some format more like a regular thread.

Or something else.

If it is not okay in the SOP to do such a thing...we could try it in PM?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there any interest?

I was thinking that parties who want to participate could read some excerpt from the Fathers or other admirable Orthodox writers - or something quite different, if desired, not necessarily officially Orthodox - and then all post responses on the same day, which could then be the beginning of a discussion.

Or some format more like a regular thread.

Or something else.

If it is not okay in the SOP to do such a thing...we could try it in PM?
I've wanted to do that forever. :)

I thought of using the daily reading. But patristic quotes are good. A book would be EXCELLENT. I just don't want to over commit.

But I would love if we can do that. And it's fine for the rules. I think it's of more potential benefit to be public.

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've wanted to do that forever. :)

I thought of using the daily reading. But patristic quotes are good. A book would be EXCELLENT. I just don't want to over commit.

But I would love if we can do that. And it's fine for the rules. I think it's of more potential benefit to be public.
Okay, all good. A book would be great, but I might be slow. Maybe, if there's interest, we can start slow - daily reading or a patristic "section" and then see how it goes.

Let's see who else might want to participate.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While a book would be great, I think the title will dictate participation? I'd still be interested.

If you go with patristic quotes, it's easy for people to jump on board after it starts, or participate as they have time. That's what I found with my thread like that.

Pros and cons both ways. I'm in as far as I can participate either way unless it's a book I can't get. :)

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While a book would be great, I think the title will dictate participation? I'd still be interested.

If you go with patristic quotes, it's easy for people to jump on board after it starts, or participate as they have time. That's what I found with my thread like that.

Pros and cons both ways. I'm in as far as I can participate either way unless it's a book I can't get. :)
I will be slow on books, as I can't buy much and will need to get a library copy.

Maybe start with a short selection from the Ante-Nicene Fathers - widely available online?

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would have great interest in such a thread, but hesitate to commit, because of my very irregular work schedule - I go through periods of long days with no time to read or participate, and times when I am free for extended periods.

(I also fear that I would have little to add to such discussions, but am sure I could learn a lot)

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would have great interest in such a thread, but hesitate to commit, because of my very irregular work schedule - I go through periods of long days with no time to read or participate, and times when I am free for extended periods.

(I also fear that I would have little to add to such discussions, but am sure I could learn a lot)
Well, like other threads, you could check in when you can. It doesn't have to be super intense.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Color me intrigued and interested.
Well, then, we already have enough interest to do it.

Two questions:

1) I was thinking: start thread with topic / link and set a start date a few days later for discussion - to let everyone read it before reading others' replies. Is anyone for or against this?

2) Suggestions? I was thinking St. Cyprian on jealousy and envy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, then, we already have enough interest to do it.

Two questions:

1) I was thinking: start thread with topic / link and set a start date a few days later for discussion - to let everyone read it before reading others' replies. Is anyone for or against this?

2) Suggestions? I was thinking St. Cyprian on jealousy and envy.
St John of Kronstadt’s work about God’s will may be another good one for the future.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm interested! I'd love to do more spiritual reading and discussion. To be honest, I was doing a ton of it when deciding between Orthodoxy and Lutheranism, and then once I became a catechumen I cut back a lot and just focused on what my priest gave me to read. So I'd like to start reading and discussing theology again. I would definitely learn a lot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.