Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm really divided on this. I'd like to have a tattoo--I want a Rosary on the upper back of my left shoulder. My wife, as I type this, is off to the parlor to get one. We talked about it (and darn it, I should've posted this before she went :idea: ) but we both feel that it isn't a sin as we are no longer under the law. She's getting a pretty little dragonfly.

I know about Leviticus 19:28. Old Law. Christ recinds the Old Law against eating certain foods in Matthew 15:10-11. But we also know the Old Law isn't null and void because we are to keep God's Commandments (The Big Ten). And now to take on 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. Our body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. I think taken in context, St. Paul is warning against sexual immorality with your body.

I dunno...having a religious tattoo just seems almost witnessing in a sense as you're not ashamed to show your faith. But, alas, I beg for input from the wise cyber-minds that frequent One Bread, One Body.

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
hmmm not sure what to say other than,
there's also this...

Mathew
17-18

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Jukes:

It's your body. I don't like them, I wouldn't get a tattoo. I don't want my children to get them, but after they turn 18, it's up to them.

If you can color your hair, pierce your ears, paint your fingernails, tattoos probably fall into that category.

I had a tattoo artist ask me once, "What is your opinion of skin art?" I said, "It's your body. Whatever you want to do with it is none of my business. I wouldn't want a tattoo, but I'm not going to say you can't have one."

He thanked me. He said he really respected that opinion.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in Catholic moral theology that forbids tattoos.  The same goes for piercings and hair coloring, etc.  I myself have pierced ears (two in the left ear, one in the right) which I had done a thousand years ago in my frivolous youth, although I haven't worn any earrings for years.

On the other hand, there are certainly some strictures you'd want to impose on yourself---you don't want to be tattooed with pictures of Hitler, for example; and one or two tattoos are fine if you're into that sort of thing, but if you get to the point where every inch of your body is covered by the things and you look like a 3rd-century B.C. Pict from the Orkney Islands, I'd say that's a tad excessive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
My opinion on tattoo is........ it is your body, but think hard about it. I got one last year (a butterfly done in rainbow colors) , which I have been wanting since I was 16 (I am 24 now). Which it was painful and was sweating bullets before it was done. I think it is alright to get one as long as it is in good taste (no naked ladies ..stuff of that kind ) and not too excessive.

Just think hard about it, it is for life! And as someone told me once....pray about it and read the bible. If something jumps out at ya and says not to do it. Dont' do it.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a verse somewhere in Paul's letters that says, "everything is permissable for me, but not everything is benficial." I would have to say that tattoos are not very beneficial for you. Cause just think when you get old and all, you'll have the same tattoo but it will be all wrinkled and stuff. That's not too appealing to me. Plus in addition I'm a bit biased. I hate tattoo's in the first place. They just look bad, like belly-button rings. Just don't like em. Could do a lot better without them! And I don't have them either just in case you are wondering

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife has a cross tattoo, along with the names of the four famous archangels written in some weird script that she says is called "angelic script". We both have pierced ears; I wear earrings occasionally, with a strong preference for little crosses.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
At the time of the institution of the Old Testament laws, tattoos were not mere artwork. They were either signs of respect for deities and often propitiation to those deities, or signals of class. In either case, such markings were a direct statement of apostasy.

Tattoos now are usually nothing more than artwork, though most tattooists will include in their repertoire, designs which owe their origins to pagan beliefs. It would be difficult to find a tattoo parlour which did not have celtic knots, pentacles, circles of warding and the like in their catalogues.

Nonetheless, tattoos as artwork are not the target of the Levitical injunction.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.