• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Tattoos: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by jukesk9, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukesk9

jukesk9 Dixie Whistlin' Papist

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'm really divided on this. I'd like to have a tattoo--I want a Rosary on the upper back of my left shoulder. My wife, as I type this, is off to the parlor to get one. We talked about it (and darn it, I should've posted this before she went :idea: ) but we both feel that it isn't a sin as we are no longer under the law. She's getting a pretty little dragonfly.

I know about Leviticus 19:28. Old Law. Christ recinds the Old Law against eating certain foods in Matthew 15:10-11. But we also know the Old Law isn't null and void because we are to keep God's Commandments (The Big Ten). And now to take on 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. Our body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. I think taken in context, St. Paul is warning against sexual immorality with your body.

I dunno...having a religious tattoo just seems almost witnessing in a sense as you're not ashamed to show your faith. But, alas, I beg for input from the wise cyber-minds that frequent One Bread, One Body.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. GraftMeIn

GraftMeIn The Masters Gardener

+5
    hmmm not sure what to say other than,
    there's also this...

Mathew
    17-18

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

3. Chris†opher Paul

Chris†opher Paul Based on a True Story

+4
    I just love Jesus' personality that shows through in His words. ;) Totally compassionate, but no-nonsense and hardcore. :)

Sorry, just had to comment.

I also want to know the answer to your question...is being overwieght a sin? I need to lose like 40 lbs. :(

4. Avila

Avila Boohoo moomoo, cebu

+4
    Catholic
    I dunno, but my FIL is a walking catalog of religious body art. :D It doesn't bother me. I woulddn't get one, but I'm also a big chicken when it comes to pain.

5. jukesk9

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, she came home and said it was very painful...I won't get one!

6. VOW

VOW Moderator

+15
    Catholic
    Married
    To Jukes:

It's your body. I don't like them, I wouldn't get a tattoo. I don't want my children to get them, but after they turn 18, it's up to them.

If you can color your hair, pierce your ears, paint your fingernails, tattoos probably fall into that category.

I had a tattoo artist ask me once, "What is your opinion of skin art?" I said, "It's your body. Whatever you want to do with it is none of my business. I wouldn't want a tattoo, but I'm not going to say you can't have one."

He thanked me. He said he really respected that opinion.

Peace be with you,
    ~VOW

7. jukesk9

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, I appreciate that VOW. First, we considered if it was a sin. Second, I told her if she was comfortable with what she was going to tell the kids, well then I told her to go for it. It is her body and not mine.

8. KC Catholic

KC Catholic Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A

+76
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think you ought to get a tatoo of the Eucharist over a cup. That'd be cool. I hate needles so I would not want to do that.

I did pierce my ear many moons ago....but I haven't worn one in 12 years.

9. jukesk9

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, if I ever muster the courage to endure the pain of a needle, it will be something Catholic....

10. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,814
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    There is nothing in Catholic moral theology that forbids tattoos.  The same goes for piercings and hair coloring, etc.  I myself have pierced ears (two in the left ear, one in the right) which I had done a thousand years ago in my frivolous youth, although I haven't worn any earrings for years.

On the other hand, there are certainly some strictures you'd want to impose on yourself---you don't want to be tattooed with pictures of Hitler, for example; and one or two tattoos are fine if you're into that sort of thing, but if you get to the point where every inch of your body is covered by the things and you look like a 3rd-century B.C. Pict from the Orkney Islands, I'd say that's a tad excessive.

11. angelmuzic

angelmuzic New Member

+0
    My opinion on tattoo is........ it is your body, but think hard about it. I got one last year (a butterfly done in rainbow colors) , which I have been wanting since I was 16 (I am 24 now). Which it was painful and was sweating bullets before it was done. I think it is alright to get one as long as it is in good taste (no naked ladies ..stuff of that kind ) and not too excessive.

Just think hard about it, it is for life! And as someone told me once....pray about it and read the bible. If something jumps out at ya and says not to do it. Dont' do it.

12. sbbqb7n16

sbbqb7n16 Veteran - Blue Bible Dude

+155
    Christian
    Single
    There is a verse somewhere in Paul's letters that says, "everything is permissable for me, but not everything is benficial." I would have to say that tattoos are not very beneficial for you. Cause just think when you get old and all, you'll have the same tattoo but it will be all wrinkled and stuff. That's not too appealing to me. Plus in addition I'm a bit biased. I hate tattoo's in the first place. They just look bad, like belly-button rings. Just don't like em. Could do a lot better without them! And I don't have them either just in case you are wondering

13. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,463
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    My wife has a cross tattoo, along with the names of the four famous archangels written in some weird script that she says is called "angelic script". We both have pierced ears; I wear earrings occasionally, with a strong preference for little crosses.

14. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Sheep in Wolf's clothing

+1
    Non-Denom
    At the time of the institution of the Old Testament laws, tattoos were not mere artwork. They were either signs of respect for deities and often propitiation to those deities, or signals of class. In either case, such markings were a direct statement of apostasy.

Tattoos now are usually nothing more than artwork, though most tattooists will include in their repertoire, designs which owe their origins to pagan beliefs. It would be difficult to find a tattoo parlour which did not have celtic knots, pentacles, circles of warding and the like in their catalogues.

Nonetheless, tattoos as artwork are not the target of the Levitical injunction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.