Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
lol That would be correct. I'm hoping I can say something like "I'll be happy to go with you, but I don't think I'm ready myself" and she won't question it.
Yes, it can show an adult sense of confidence and maturity to be just a bit assertive. An adult should be respected as being capable of visiting a parlor and not being pressurized!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...my Mum and Dad like tattoos more than I do; I only have them if I'm 100% happy with having them on my body in 60-70 years or so.
With a tattoo, if you get it wrong you will regret it.
PS: Saw what you said; interesting that Hannah's experience (see above) with her mom is so similar, about liking tattoos even more than she does!

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
PS: Saw what you said; interesting that Hannah's experience (see above) with her mom is so similar, about liking tattoos even more than she does!
Interesting isn't it? ;)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting isn't it? ;)
Usually it's the other way round (i.e., the young adult being really keen to get inked and the parent advising a bit of caution.) Seems like your mom and her mom are similarly very very keen on inking.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... the way that I feel about that, I would have a lot of pointless tattoos that would mean nothing to me now.

PS: Sounds like you're even just a bit secretly relieved he doesn't like it!

But anyway, the Bible does say that those who follow the Lord Jesus should concentrate on the inward and spiritual. Ephesians 4.23-24: "...be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and ... put on the new person, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

Like, a tattoo can seem nice, but not to the extent of taking away our interest from the things of God.

Reactions: Hannah♥
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"... I don't think I'm ready myself" ...

PS:

Hannah:

Just another aspect that gives a lot of women cause for hesitation, in an article I saw:

"...Almost every wedding gown and bridesmaid dress out there today is strapless or has bare shoulders. Very little opportunity for brides to choose something that would discreetly cover body art they would rather not have featured in their wedding photos..." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sandy-malone/the-body-art-dilemma_b_4168831.html

This is why a lot of women prefer to wait until after their wedding day before doing it. (Of course, your mom might loooove to see her inked daughter in her wedding gown. And you dad might not... But in the end, it's likely to be what you yourself want, one way or the other.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A few moderate tattoos isn't bad and Christians should embrace it too.

Jesus' Follower:

Thanks for your 'like' just now.

Sounds like in England, as generally speaking in North America, getting tattooed is something that both genders (as your mom is living proof) can now do with great confidence.

This is one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that, like you say, moderation is also a key. Christians are in a particularly good position to advocate for moderate and responsible tattooing that is not 'over the top' and excessive; and the faith based design potentials of tattooing is something that Christians are also likely increasingly to exploit, right?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus' Follower:

Thanks for your 'like' just now.

Sounds like in England, as generally speaking in North America, getting tattooed is something that both genders (as your mom is living proof) can now do with great confidence.

This is one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that, like you say, moderation is also a key. Christians are in a particularly good position to advocate for moderate and responsible tattooing that is not 'over the top' and excessive; and the faith based design potentials of tattooing is something that Christians are also likely increasingly to exploit, right?

Blessings.
Yeah that's right, there does need to be a point when you say, "no more".
With it being so popular now it could be harder to say no. People call them addictive; I've never really agreed with that.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that's right, there does need to be a point when you say, "no more".
With it being so popular now it could be harder to say no. People call them addictive; I've never really agreed with that.
Indeed. So do you yourself think you've reached that stage yet of having finished getting inked?

I guess for some Christians the extent of motivation might relate to the faith based nature of any potential tattoo, also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have "In God We Trust" on my wrist
Hi there; this a really good sentiment! Proverbs 3.5 'Trust in the Lord' is another similar one.

'In God we trust' is particularly well known as a phrase in the US; so are you American? (I'm Canadian.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo. forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com
wanderingone said:
I LOVE tattoos.. Half the PTA moms at my daughter's school have tats... and most of them are decidedly different in their views than I.. yet there we are.. all a bunch of tattooed ladies :)

Sounds fairly accurate...

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2015
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟7,760.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I gotta do some talking and get more oppinons before I make any decision. I'm really up in the air but have recently felt as if I have been called to do so. If I do I am thinking of getting a short verse written on either my shoulder blade or upper arm; some place where it is sutle and can be easily covered.

Does anyone have any ideas on verses or anything to do with it?

Thanks alot
I thought about getting a tattoo for 3 yrs before I finally got mine. That was now 4 yrs ago. I still love it too! I also thought I would get a small discrete but once my tattoo artist drew it out it ended up being pretty big. He asked if it was still ok & my thoughts so I allowed him to show me what it would look like on with an outline & I fell in love with it. Just know that this may happen to you too. My tattoo takes up about 1/4 of my back & placed just below my neck. I chose to get something meaninfull to me. My sister helped me draw it out too. Bonus! ❤
Gor verses to consider. Think about what is meaningfull to you. What are some things your grateful to God for? What has God pulled you through in your life so far? That will help you find the right verse as you read your bible. Also highlight verses that speak to you & make a note "tattoo inspiration". Also note what your new tattoo would say about God. What message are you hoping to get across with it?
My fav verse is Matthew 6:21.

Happy decision making!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought about getting a tattoo for 3 yrs before I finally got mine. That was now 4 yrs ago. I still love it too! I also thought I would get a small discrete but once my tattoo artist drew it out it ended up being pretty big. He asked if it was still ok & my thoughts so I allowed him to show me what it would look like on with an outline & I fell in love with it. Just know that this may happen to you too. My tattoo takes up about 1/4 of my back & placed just below my neck. I chose to get something meaninfull to me. My sister helped me draw it out too. Bonus! ❤
Gor verses to consider. Think about what is meaningfull to you. What are some things your grateful to God for? What has God pulled you through in your life so far? That will help you find the right verse as you read your bible. Also highlight verses that speak to you & make a note "tattoo inspiration". Also note what your new tattoo would say about God. What message are you hoping to get across with it?
My fav verse is Matthew 6:21.

Happy decision making!
Hi; having thought a lot about it, and having chosen your faith based design carefully, you now sound like you as a tattooed person thoroughly recommend the experience.

My wife and I were out West in Canada and we talked to a young lady who had the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen also, as a result of her decision to do it.

Sounds like you have a good artist that you recommend.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2015
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟7,760.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi; having thought a lot about it, and having chosen your faith based design carefully, you now sound like you as a tattooed person thoroughly recommend the experience.

My wife and I were out West in Canada and we talked to a young lady who had the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen also, as a result of her decision to do it.

Sounds like you have a good artist that you recommend.
Thanks faroukfarouk. ☺ I did a lot of thinking & so happy I did it. I used to be afraid to do just about everything but now with God's help & disapline at times I've learned to come out of my shell. Gettig my tattoo was a part of that learning curve. It marks the time when I started allowing myself to love me for me & who God sees me to be. I love that it marks that cross road. Having a story behind it opens up the playig field to sharing the gosple on a new level.
I do recommend my artist to friends whenever I can. I forgot to mention though that its also a good idea to research your tattoo artist before you commit to them. I looked around online at a lot off different artist's portfolios before I desided on Chris. Also make sure its a clean shop. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't do what my friend did & go to some dude's basement... sketchy!
He's Chris Wenzel (owner) from Electric Underground in Saskatoon, SK is fantastic!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I prayed about mine alot, and the conclusion that was given to me was that my tattoo was designed to bring glory to God in a way that not only is it an outward statement of faith, but a great conversation starter and therefore evangelical tool. I have cross with a bible verse between my shoulder blades. And I havn't regretted it.
Yes, like a lot of Christians you seem like you're tattooed without regrets; and faith based ones are proven conversation-starters.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks faroukfarouk. ☺ I did a lot of thinking & so happy I did it.

Seems that, like Emma89, above, you're tattooed without regrets; and faith based ones do make effective conversation-starters also, right?

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
From what I recall you saying, I think probably your mom would be more likely to get another tattoo than you are, right?
Correct, she prefers them more than I.
I like them but do not like to see lots and lots of them.
I think there is a fine line there. :)

Upvote 0