✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Tasmania Legalises Voluntary Assisted Dying

Tasmania has passed voluntary assisted dying (VAD) legislation, making it the third state in Australia to do so, after Victoria and Western Australia.

To be eligible to access voluntary assisted dying, someone must be 18, have decision-making capacity, be acting voluntarily and be suffering intolerably from a medical condition that is advanced, incurable, irreversible and will cause the person's death in the next six months, or 12 months for neurodegenerative disorders.

They must also be an Australia citizen or have resided there for at least three continuous years, and for at least 12 months in Tasmania immediately before making the first request to access VAD.

People with mental illness or disability will not have access to VAD.

Three requests must be made to access VAD, each of which comes with checks and balances.

Initially, patients will need to contact their regular GP to discuss what the options are.

To then make their first VAD request, the patient must receive information from an authorised medical practitioner in a face-to-face meeting. This information should include details about their medical condition, any possible treatments, and what palliative care options are available.

If eligible, a second request can then be made, after waiting at least 48 hours. The second request must be written and signed by the person requesting access to VAD, or someone they have nominated.

It must also be witnessed by two people who cannot be medical professionals involved, and at least one must not be a family member or benefit financially from the person's death.

If the person is deemed eligible based on their second request, they are referred to another medical practitioner to assess their eligibility.

If all these hurdles are passed, a final request can be made in writing.

Once all three requests have been approved, the VAD Commission will check everything is in order before authorising a prescription.

Doctors will not be required to participate in the VAD process.

VAD will not be implemented for at least 18 months to allow time for detailed legislation, setting up a body to oversight VAD, development of guidelines and training for medical staff.

At least two other Australian states are considering implementing a VAD process.

Source:
Tasmania has legalised voluntary assisted dying. What happens now and how will it work? - ABC News

OB

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tasmania Legalises Voluntary Assisted Dying

Tasmania has passed voluntary assisted dying (VAD) legislation, making it the third state in Australia to do so, after Victoria and Western Australia.

To be eligible to access voluntary assisted dying, someone must be 18, have decision-making capacity, be acting voluntarily and be suffering intolerably from a medical condition that is advanced, incurable, irreversible and will cause the person's death in the next six months, or 12 months for neurodegenerative disorders.

They must also be an Australia citizen or have resided there for at least three continuous years, and for at least 12 months in Tasmania immediately before making the first request to access VAD.

People with mental illness or disability will not have access to VAD.

Three requests must be made to access VAD, each of which comes with checks and balances.

Initially, patients will need to contact their regular GP to discuss what the options are.

To then make their first VAD request, the patient must receive information from an authorised medical practitioner in a face-to-face meeting. This information should include details about their medical condition, any possible treatments, and what palliative care options are available.

If eligible, a second request can then be made, after waiting at least 48 hours. The second request must be written and signed by the person requesting access to VAD, or someone they have nominated.

It must also be witnessed by two people who cannot be medical professionals involved, and at least one must not be a family member or benefit financially from the person's death.

If the person is deemed eligible based on their second request, they are referred to another medical practitioner to assess their eligibility.

If all these hurdles are passed, a final request can be made in writing.

Once all three requests have been approved, the VAD Commission will check everything is in order before authorising a prescription.

Doctors will not be required to participate in the VAD process.

VAD will not be implemented for at least 18 months to allow time for detailed legislation, setting up a body to oversight VAD, development of guidelines and training for medical staff.

At least two other Australian states are considering implementing a VAD process.

Source:
Tasmania has legalised voluntary assisted dying. What happens now and how will it work? - ABC News

OB
Some people signed living wills stating their lives should not be extended by artificial means. It is legal in America.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Some people signed living wills stating their lives should not be extended by artificial means. It is legal in America.

I recently signed something similar on behalf of my father (he has advanced dementia). At 100 years old any attempt at resuscitation is likely to have severe consequences.

This law is different since it allows people to actively participate in causing their own death as opposed to the non-interventionist 'Do Not Resuscitate' approach.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't believe assisted dying is the same thing as no artificial intervention. I believe it is the active ending of life.

ETA: I see @Occams Barber's response covered that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently signed something similar on behalf of my father (he has advanced dementia). At 100 years old any attempt at resuscitation is likely to have severe consequences.

This law is different since it allows people to actively participate in causing their own death as opposed to the non-interventionist 'Do Not Resuscitate' approach.

OB
My mother is 85. She is bed ridden in a skilled nursing home. She can not walk or feed herself. She has been there over a year since my dad had a stroke and could not care for her at home anymore. My brothers and I brought them to a facility in Florida.

My nephew was an EMT before going to study to become a physician’s assistant. He told me some people wear “Do not resuscitate.” bracelets. He had to inject numerous opiode overdose victims to bring them back.

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0