Targeting Amy Coney Barrett’s Catholic faith is ‘awful’ amid SCOTUS discussions: Sen. Manchin

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Religion should not enter' Supreme Court nomination process, the Democratic senator told 'Fox & Friends'

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., told "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday that Senate Democrats' push to bring Judge Amy Coney Barrett's religion into the debate is a bad idea.

"I'm Catholic, OK. And religion should not enter into it. It sure doesn't with me," said Manchin, who doesn't support filling the Supreme Court vacancy left after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg before the Nov. 3 election.

Barrett, a Catholic who once clerked for Justice Antonin Scalia, is on President Trump's shortlist and has been targeted for her Catholic faith.

In a memorable moment from Barrett's appeals court confirmation hearing in 2017, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., told the prospective judge that "the dogma lives loudly within you."

"It's awful to bring in religion. It truly is," Manchin said.

The senator recalled as a young boy when John F. Kennedy. was running for president that "everyone said ... the pope's going to run the country and I looked at my mom and said, 'Mom, they don't know the Catholics we know.'"

Continued below.
Targeting Amy Coney Barrett’s Catholic faith is ‘awful’ amid SCOTUS discussions: Sen. Manchin

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
'Religion should not enter' Supreme Court nomination process, the Democratic senator told 'Fox & Friends'

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., told "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday that Senate Democrats' push to bring Judge Amy Coney Barrett's religion into the debate is a bad idea.

"I'm Catholic, OK. And religion should not enter into it. It sure doesn't with me," said Manchin, who doesn't support filling the Supreme Court vacancy left after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg before the Nov. 3 election.

Barrett, a Catholic who once clerked for Justice Antonin Scalia, is on President Trump's shortlist and has been targeted for her Catholic faith.

In a memorable moment from Barrett's appeals court confirmation hearing in 2017, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., told the prospective judge that "the dogma lives loudly within you."

The senator recalled as a young boy when John F. Kennedy. was running for president that "everyone said ... the pope's going to run the country and I looked at my mom and said, 'Mom, they don't know the Catholics we know.'"

Continued below.
They want a religious test for service in the judiciary of the United States. And they will have it. Even though the constitution of the United States forbids any such test.

But there is another sneaky thing they are doing. They are making a pro-life position into a religious position. My opposition to abortion coincides with my religion but it is a biological position. Just watch as they make opposition to abortion to be just and only a religious thing.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They want a religious test for service in the judiciary of the United States. And they will have it. Even though the constitution of the United States forbids any such test.

But there is another sneaky thing they are doing. They are making a pro-life position into a religious position. My opposition to abortion coincides with my religion but it is a biological position. Just watch as they make opposition to abortion to be just and only a religious thing.
The Dems will always do that. A rebuttal to that needs to be ongoing and continual pointing out that people can have multiple reasons for holding a position of anything therefore we reject the premise of their arguement.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Continued below.
I'd be much more impressed with Sen. Manchin's highminded words if he put his votes behind them.

In the Kavanaugh hearings, he made a big show of at last deciding to vote for the nominee--after days and weeks of Kavanaugh being slandered every which way by committee members--and that announcement only came from Manchin after it became clear that Kavanaugh had the votes needed.

Upvote 0