Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought the people complaining about the “tuck” friendly bottoms was hilarious. It’s an ordinary suit bottom with a little more coverage that anyone wanting a little more modesty in a traditional bottom should appreciate.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I certainly wouldn't have thought that threatening sales clerks was an appropriate response.

I don't condone threatening anyone for any reason. But neither do I think it's a good idea to have satanic themed LGBTQ wherewithal on display in the front of a department store.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How does "satanic lgbtq+" apparel look? Anyone got any examples?
The creator's brand is Abprallen based in the UK - there's a link in the OP article. I only see one image that is 'Satanic': "Satan Respects Pronouns" (available as tee, sticker or badge)

Most of it looks kinda tattoo-arty. So there's a fair amount of skulls, but not really satanic. A few images drift into astrology, newage, paganism territory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The creator's brand is Abprallen based in the UK - there's a link in the OP article. I only see one image that is 'Satanic': "Satan Respects Pronouns" (available as tee, sticker or badge)
Seems pointing out that Satanist’s are more inclusive drives some folks to violence.

How ironic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's best for those who object to simply boycott Target, the way they've boycotted Budweiser. That's what will put a stop to other companies making the same mistake.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"...occult- and satanic-themed LGBTQ+ clothing and accessories, have also created backlash."

Who would have thought.
Well at least it makes it clear that there's a connection between Satanic and LGBTQ+.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't condone threatening anyone for any reason. But neither do I think it's a good idea to have satanic themed LGBTQ wherewithal on display in the front of a department store.
You don't believe in the 1st Amendment and capitalism?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
that is a nice twist, but truly Target did not want to get the same loss of business that Bud Light experienced, it was a business decision.
It was a safety decision. On Stephanie Miller today, they said the Hollywood Target still has it's display because folks there aren't threatening employees.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well at least it makes it clear that there's a connection between Satanic and LGBTQ+.
Only in the same way that "God, Guns and Guts" shows a connection between Christianity and mass shootings...

it doesn't.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You don't believe in the 1st Amendment and capitalism?
Sure I do. But I still don't think it's a good idea to have satanic themed LGBTQ wherewithal on display in the front of a department store.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only in the same way that "God, Guns and Guts" shows a connection between Christianity and mass shootings...

it doesn't.
That doesn't work with something as directly stated as "satanic-themed LGBTQ+ clothing".

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously threatening sales clerks is unacceptable...it's not their fault that the company they work for decided to go in particular direction.

That being said, Target had to know that there would be some backlash to some of this stuff.

Also per the AP:
At a Target in New York City’s downtown Brooklyn neighborhood that the AP visited on Monday, the same adult swimsuits shown on social media featured the “tuck-friendly” tag, while a kids’ black swimskirt for sale instead had a tag reading: “Thoughtfully Fit on Multiple Body Types and Gender Expressions.”

Per Reuters:
Target Corp (TGT.N) is offering more than 2,000 products, including clothing, books, music and home furnishings as part of its Pride Collection. The items include "gender fluid" mugs, "queer all year" calendars and books for children aged 2-8 titled "Bye Bye, Binary," "Pride 1,2,3" and "I'm not a girl."

Certainly they had to know this was going to cause some backlash.

And I think the part of this that's rather telling (but doesn't seem to be getting discussed) is that a large portion of clientele that shop at Target aren't really the "staunch conservative types" (most of those types switched from Target to Walmart exclusively when Target implemented their Trans inclusive bathroom policies some time ago).

So one could reasonably conclude that a lot of this backlash is coming from people who may be moderates or either center left.

Other related polling indicates that while there's certainly a partisan divide with regards to the topic as a whole (when you present it as a simple yes/no question), when you drill down into the finer details, there's a lot of people on the liberal-leaning/democratic side who still aren't crazy about some of this kind of stuff that's targeting (pun intended) a youth audience.

While >80% of Democrats feel that trans people should be able to use the bathroom of their choice and favor measures against job and housing discrimination, 40% of Democrats still feel that people should participate on the team that matches assigned sex at birth, only half of democrats support transitioning minors, and a third of democrats aren't crazy about things like teaching this subject matter in elementary schools.

I think it's misguided for any corporate entity to just blindly assume that "we're liberal, our shoppers also identify as liberal, therefore any left-leaning thing we decide to do on this subject will be met with rave reviews and glowing endorsements" or to assume that just because the majority of their shoppers were okay with the trans-inclusive bathroom policy, that that somehow means that they're "100% on-board with everything the trans activists are advocating for"

Upvote 0