TAN has a new book about the ‘St. Gallen Mafia’ — here’s what I thought after reading it

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Longenecker

THE ST GALLEN MAFIA
This week I have been on retreat at Belmont Abbey and had the privilege of going to lunch with the editors at TAN Books which is located just a few minutes from the Abbey. The Abbey–by the way–is in the midst of what future church historians will name “the Southern Catholic Renaissance” or something like that or “The South did Rise Again, but Who Thought it Would be Catholic?”

Anyway, here in Charlotte is Belmont Abbey located on the campus of Belmont Abbey College–increasingly known as a vital center of Catholic renewal in the Southeast. A few miles away a new seminary for the Diocese of Charlotte is bursting at the seams with young seminarians. Across the state there is a magnificent new cathedral in the Diocese of Raleigh and parishes here and across the border in South Carolina are increasingly devoted to “dynamic orthodoxy” or what is sometimes called “Evangelical Catholicism”.

Patrick O’Hearn gave me a copy of one of TAN’s recent publications, The St Gallen Mafia by Julia Meloni. It’s a quick and riveting read. Ms Meloni has funneled an amazing amount of research into her exploration of the shadowy group of cardinals who, it is alleged, stage managed the election of Pope Francis. Meloni is obviously biased in her position, but that’s okay. It’s good to know where an author stands and I would rather have someone speak clearly about their position instead of the constant ambiguities, circumlocutions, half truths and propaganda we get from most people in leadership these days–not excluding the prelates of our own dear church.

Continued below.
The St Gallen Mafia | Fr. Dwight Longenecker