Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it wrong for a non-Catholic man, like me, to talk to a Catholic priest about my struggles? They seem so good at listening. I would also like to do confession. It would make me feel good. But is that a good idea?
You can talk to a Catholic priest. That’s not a problem. Not sure you can do confession though.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is it wrong for a non-Catholic man, like me, to talk to a Catholic priest about my struggles? They seem so good at listening. I would also like to do confession. It would make me feel good. But is that a good idea?
You can talk to a Catholic priest. No problem there.

If you do talk to a priest, do let him know you are not (yet) Catholic. He can still talk with you, pray with you, advise and counsel, and all of that, but no sacramental confession. I suppose you could even tell him your sins. He would have to hold them in the very strictest of confidences just as if it were confession. So you can be free to have a very deep conversation.

You can also become Catholic if you want to. It often takes a long while to do so, many months sometimes.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It is my understanding that he can only grant you absolution of your sins, as a non-Catholic, in extreme circumstances, such as if you are dying, or something like that, if he goes by the rules of the Church anyway. However, he could still listen to you and counsel you.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Protestants can indeed go to Confession providing they meed the following requirements.

Most notably, “they [must] manifest Catholic faith in these sacraments,” meaning they must believe about them what Catholics do — e.g., that they are sacraments, that confession forgives sins, that anointing conveys spiritual and (if it is conducive to salvation) physical grace to the recipient, that Christ is Really Present in the Eucharist, etc.

http://jimmyakin.com/can-protestants-go-to-confession

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you seek out a Catholic priest as compared to someone in the Protestant clergy? I’m just curious.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why do you seek out a Catholic priest as compared to someone in the Protestant clergy? I’m just curious.

Good question

I did not know that there was a Protestant clergy. But I do pass the Catholic church all the time. And I do know that there is a priest always there ready to talk to people. That is why I asked.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good question

I did not know that there was a Protestant clergy. But I do pass the Catholic church all the time. And I do know that there is a priest always there ready to talk to people. That is why I asked.
Well it’s nice that there is always a priest there willing to talk! I can see why that would be an attraction for you. By Protestant clergy I mean pastors.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is my understanding that he can only grant you absolution of your sins, as a non-Catholic, in extreme circumstances, such as if you are dying, or something like that, if he goes by the rules of the Church anyway. However, he could still listen to you and counsel you.
I think you are right about how anyone can confess if they are in danger of death. I suspect great latitude is given allowing a priest to do what he can to save a soul.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,108.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe God is asking you to go see that priest my friend. No harm at all in having a chat with him. You may very well get lots of Godly advice and help.

It can be a very rewarding and moving experience when you open up to a priest and witness a servant of Jesus helping you in your struggles etc.

I know from first hand experience. I honestly thank God for His Holy Priesthood.

God bless you my friend

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do and have sought the counsel of Catholic priests but then I was baptized and at least nominally raised in the Catholic Church so it’s very familiar to me. I loved it before our local Catholic monastery closed down. ‘Men’ could spend a night or two and request time with one of the monks.

My suggestion is to just be open and honest with them.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

No, it's not wrong. In fact priests are supposed to be responsible for the Christians within their parish boundaries, not just the Catholics.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe God is asking you to go see that priest my friend. No harm at all in having a chat with him. You may very well get lots of Godly advice and help.

It can be a very rewarding and moving experience when you open up to a priest and witness a servant of Jesus helping you in your struggles etc.

I know from first hand experience. I honestly thank God for His Holy Priesthood.

God bless you my friend

God bless you too. Thank you

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well it’s nice that there is always a priest there willing to talk! I can see why that would be an attraction for you. By Protestant clergy I mean pastors.

Oh

I never heard them called clergy. But you learn something knew everyday. LOL

I don't know if I trust them or not. They don't seem to be as open as priests. But I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh

I never heard them called clergy. But you learn something knew everyday. LOL

I don't know if I trust them or not. They don't seem to be as open as priests. But I could be wrong.
Well I have had counsel from both. I’m a convert to Catholicism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I go by Scripture...

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (1Ti 2:5)

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1Jn 1:8-9)

Some things we don't see, but we walk by faith in His Promises.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,108.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I go by Scripture...

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (1Ti 2:5)

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1Jn 1:8-9)

Some things we don't see, but we walk by faith in His Promises.

Sometimes we need guidance by the Holy Priesthood that Jesus gave and left us my friend.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not know that there was a Protestant clergy.

Protestant clergy are generally called "pastors" or "ministers" (and sometimes also "priests").

Do you not have your own pastor?

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Protestant clergy are generally called "pastors" or "ministers" (and sometimes also "priests").

Do you not have your own pastor?

No, I actually don't. I haven't attended church in almost a year.

Upvote 0