Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I was googling "the will of the Father" when I found this:

http://www.hallvworthington.com/WilloftheFather.html

After talking about Adam and Eve, I read this paragraph:

"When we speak, it is either by the Spirit of Christ within us, or the spirit of Satan. Christ told us : let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one. Mat 5:37.But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Mat. 12:36. Until we are purified, it is the spirit of the serpent, the evil one, speaking in us. The spirit that speaks through you is either Christ or the devil. [There is no in-between spirit that is 99% un-devilish; that is like being 99% un-pregnant]. Therefore, until we have Christ in control of our mouths, after purification and restoration, we should speak as little as possible."

Is this real? Does God truly want us to be silent unless he wants us to say something?

What are your thoughts?

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was googling "the will of the Father" when I found this:

http://www.hallvworthington.com/WilloftheFather.html

"When we speak, it is either by the Spirit of Christ within us, or the spirit of Satan. Christ told us : let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one. Mat 5:37.But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Mat. 12:36. Until we are purified, it is the spirit of the serpent, the evil one, speaking in us. The spirit that speaks through you is either Christ or the devil. [There is no in-between spirit that is 99% un-devilish; that is like being 99% un-pregnant]. Therefore, until we have Christ in control of our mouths, after purification and restoration, we should speak as little as possible."

Is this real? Does God truly want us to be silent unless he wants us to say something?

What are your thoughts?
Let's look at a little bit of context.

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil. (Mat 5:33-37)

The context here is when swearing an oath. Truthful people need say nothing more than 'yes' or 'no', their word should be full of integrity.

"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."(Mat 12:31-37)

You see here, the context was blasphemy where the detractors had been saying He performs miracles by the power of Beelzebub. Blasphemous thoughts come from the heart and exit the tongue. The opponents of Jesus needed a 'heart 'transplant'.

So I don't believe these passages are laying down a stringent law of don't speak unless you only speak God's Word, that may be ideal but near impossible due to our abiding sinful nature.
God does want our hearts/mouths to be full of thanksgiving and praise but no need to feel condemn when they are not.

Reactions: Raggedyman
Upvote 0

Imnotjokingwellnotmostly

Sep 28, 2016
Martinsburg West Virginia
✟18,502.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Let's look at a little bit of context.

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil. (Mat 5:33-37)

The context here is when swearing an oath. Truthful people need say nothing more than 'yes' or 'no', their word should be full of integrity.

"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."(Mat 12:31-37)

You see here, the context was blasphemy where the detractors had been saying He performs miracles by the power of Beelzebub. Blasphemous thoughts come from the heart and exit the tongue. The opponents of Jesus needed a 'heart 'transplant'.

So I don't believe these passages are laying down a stringent law of don't speak unless you only speak God's Word, that may be ideal but near impossible due to our abiding sinful nature.
God does want our hearts/mouths to be full of thanksgiving and praise but no need to feel condemn when they are not.

Okay, thanks!

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What are your thoughts?

At most, one can legitimately argue from Matthew 5:37 that prevaricating or refusing to give a straightforward answer is of the devil (or in keeping with the false-speaking character of the devil). One cannot conclude from the verse, however, that all speech prior to salvation is of the devil. That is not supported by the verse itself, the context in which it stands, or the whole tenor of Scripture. In fact, in context, Matthew 5:37 is related directly and particularly to "swearing falsely" (vs. 33) not to everything a person might say.

Selah.

Upvote 0