Talkin about hearing from Him

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, I can't think of anything as important to me as hearing from Him. Still - I don't listen as much as I should - only about a dozen times a day which is not very good.

Never-the-less, I way too often come across Christians who rarely hear that still small voice of His, so I try to get others to hear from Him more. It reminds me and if others listen to Him it will help them. So I want to talk about hearing from God in a frank and honest way.

First, God is spirit so we hear from the Lord through His Holy Spirit communicating with our spirit. Now hearing is not the same thing as reading. We should hear words from Him in our spirit. That doesn't always happen with me because frankly, I don't usually pay attention to Him like I should. Mostly it is because I get busy during the day and just forget about Him. It can be that I am a bit upset with things and don't want to hear. There can be other reasons also. Never-the-less, He is always there ready, willing, and wanting to have conversations with me. That is amazing.

Now His thoughts are not my thoughts! I find this is important and it helps me understand what is from Him and what is from me. I kind of know how I think. It is not always pretty, and it is often about me and what helps me. While He is always wanting to help me, His idea of what helps me is not usually my idea of what helps me. So if, for example, I am driving He is likely to tell me to slow down and let someone in where as I am thinking that I should speed up and get in front of them. I don't always want His reproof, and it is written correctly that He reproves those He loves. So we need to expect and want His reproof. That is my advice, though I might be the first one not to take that advice.

A very important thing to understand about hearing from the Lord; is that hearing from Him is easy but believing is hard!

The Lord has had me in ministry, where often I need to get other Christians listening to Him. I have them ask Him a simply question like, "How do you feel about me, Lord?" They get a quick thought that comes to them, because He is not slow to answer like we think. Yet, often they block that thought or quickly concluded that could not be Him answering them. So I wind up asking them "What came to your mind". They often respond with something like, "nothing". So I dig in a bit more and we both find out that they did get a thought, but they concluded instantly that it was their thought not His. So I get them to consider that thought and inevitably they will start to understand that is was Him and not them. You see - it was easy to hear from him but hard to believe it. It gets easier with practice but this will so often give you problems even after years of hearing from Him.

Of course I should mention that the Spirit of God is not the only spirit our there. Yet when we think about this we can make mistakes. The first mistake and the one the devil wants you to make, is to start fearing the devil instead of God! This shows up in the first words that snake said in the Bible which were, "Did God really say?" The first and foremost way the devil attacks is at your faith!

This results in some interesting conversations with other Christians when I talk about hearing from the Lord. So often people tell me that thought they heard the Lord tell them something but then thought that it must not have been from Him. What of course happened was that by faith they heard from the Lord then the devil came and caused them to doubt it. Just like it caused a break in the relationship with Adam and Eve and the Lord, it cause a break you any relationship that you had with Him. It is written that you have to live by faith so you have to listen consider and believe that God really does say. You are going to find out like Adam and Eve that it was indeed the Lord who said just like they believed to begin with. Though you may not understand at first.

Asking is something extremely important, but we so often don't do the obvious and ask the Lord when we have questions. It is written that you have not because you have not asked and frankly, this applies so much more that you think. For example, I can't tell you how often I have had another Christian tell me they got a dream from God that they did understand it. So I ask them what the Lord told them about it, and it turns out they never thought about asking Him about it. Well that is just silly, isn't it? If you have a question for the Lord why would you not ask Him?

He once told me to just start asking Him questions. For the rest of the day and the next day He just wanted me to ask Him question, any question, and He answered them. I asked Him about door jams and got an interesting response about how He is the Door and a door jam is something that holds up the door and in which the door opens and closes upon. Does our faith in Him hold Him up and is our faith something that He opens and closes upon?

Frankly, it is fun and interesting just talking to Him

Now I have gone long, but could write sooo much more on hearing from Him. But let me turn it over to others. What to you have to say about hearing from Him?

Last edited:

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, I can't think of anything as important to me as hearing from Him. Still - I don't listen as much as I should - only about a dozen times a day which is not very good.

Never-the-less, I way too often come across Christians who rarely hear that still small voice of His, so I try to get others to hear from Him more. It reminds me and if others listen to Him it will help them. So I want to talk about hearing from God in a frank and honest way.

First, God is spirit so we hear from the Lord through His Holy Spirit communicating with our spirit. Now hearing is not the same thing as reading. We should hear words from Him in our spirit. That doesn't always happen with me because frankly, I don't usually pay attention to Him like I should. Mostly it is because I get busy during the day and just forget about Him. It can be that I am a bit upset with things and don't want to hear. There can be other reasons also. Never-the-less, He is always there ready, willing, and wanting to have conversations with me. That is amazing.

Now His thoughts are not my thoughts! I find this is important and helps me understand what is from Him and what is from me. I kind of know who I think. It is not always pretty, and it is often about me and what helps me. While He is always wanting to help me, His idea of what helps me is not usually my idea of what helps me. So if, for example, I am driving He is likely to tell me to slow down and let someone it where as I am thinking that I should speed up and get in front of them. I don't always want His reproof, and it is written correctly that He reproves those He loves. So expect and want His reproof is my advice, though I might be the first one not to take that advice.

A very important thing to understand about hearing from the Lord is that hearing from Him is easy but believing is hard!

The Lord has had me in ministry where so often I need to get other Christians listening to Him. I have them ask Him a simply question like, "How do you feel about me Lord?" They get a quick thought that comes to them, because He is not slow to answer like we think. Yet so often they block that thought or quickly concluded that could not be Him answering them. So I wind up asking them "What came to your mind". They often respond with something like, "nothing". So I dig in a bit more and we both find out that they did get a thought, but they concluded instantly that it was their thought not His. So I get them to consider that thought and inevitably they will start to understand that is was Him and not them. You see - it was easy to hear from him but hard to believe it. It gets easier with practice but this will so often give you problems even after years of hearing from Him.

Of course I should mention that the Spirit of God is not the only spirit our there. Yet when we think about this we can make mistakes. The first mistake and the one the devil wants you to make, is to start fearing the devil instead of God! This shows up in the first words that snake said in the Bible which were, "Did God really say?" The first and foremost way the devil attacks is at your faith!

This results in some interesting conversations with other Christians when I talk about hearing from the Lord. So often people tell me that thought they heard the Lord tell them something but then thought that it must not have been from Him. What of course happened was that by faith they heard from the Lord then the devil came and caused them to doubt it. Just like it caused a break in the relationship with Adam and Eve and the Lord, it cause a break you any relationship that you had with Him. It is written that you have to live by faith so you have to listen consider and believe that God really does say. You are going to find out like Adam and Eve that it was indeed the Lord who said just like they believed to begin with. Though you may not understand at first.

Asking is something extremely important, but we so often don't do the obvious and ask the Lord when we have questions. It is written that you have not because you have not asked and frankly, this applies so much more that you think. For example, I can't tell you how often I have had another Christian tell me they got a dream from God that they did understand it. So I ask them what the Lord told them about it, and it turns out they never thought about asking Him about it. Well that is just silly, isn't it? If you have a question for the Lord why would you not ask Him?

He once told me to just start asking Him questions. For the rest of the day and the next day He just wanted me to ask Him question, any question, and He answered them. I asked Him about door jams and got an interesting response about how He is the Door and a door jam is something that holds up the door and in which the door opens and closes upon. Does our faith in Him hold Him up and is our faith something that He opens and closes upon?

Frankly, it is fun and interesting just talking to Him

Now I have gone long, but could write sooo much more on hearing from Him. But let me turn it over to others. What to you have to say about hearing from Him?

Thank for sharing!

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think one of the most exciting things as a Christian is when you learn to really hear him and recognize his voice - that still small voice, as you say. 1 Kings 19:11-12

It really is!!

The more you talk to Him and realize exactly who you are actually talking to the more incredible it is!

In fact this God talking to us, is actually something that can get in the way of hearing Him. One lie the enemy uses goes something like this: "Who are you that God should talk to you?" Evil spirits like to put that thought into you. But really the question is: "Who are you to not listen to Him?"

The "GOOD NEWS" is really that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that you might believe that He wants to talk to you. Ok - it's written 'that whoever believes in Him', but He is the Word of God. So believing in Him means believing He has the words of God for you, even if you have in the past placed Him on a piece of wood and counting Him as dead. Frankly, He died for your sins so that you would not think that He would not talk to you a sinner! You and I are sinners. We all have sinned, but He forgave us at the cross so yeah, He wants to talk to you personally.

It's the gospel message - and it is indeed awesome that He, the One with the words of God said He would never leave you and said He stands at the door knocking and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door, He will come into them. He the One through whom all things were made. So those millions of galaxies far far away with millions of stars each - He made them and He wants to talk to you!! He wants to do that everyday called "Today" - like today - you can and should talk to Him and listen to what He has to say. It's kind of weird, being spiritual and Him not thinking like you, but it is incredible too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachel20
Upvote 0