Taliban advancing, is it good?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Actually, no, the USA and its allies did have the hope that they could rebuild Afghanistan in a pro-Western direction, liberating women in the process. The very expensive attempt at nation-building there was rejected by the Afghan people. They hope now to do it themselves under a Caliphate whose key concepts were phrased in the 7th century.
With that time arguably being a lot more civilised and advanced, at least in the middle east.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With that time arguably being a lot more civilised and advanced, at least in the middle east.

When Muslims first conquered the most rebellious Christian provinces of the Byzantine empire they were a minority in a country that was developed and civilized. Islam's golden age was built by caliphs who understood themselves as a minority and annexed much of the talent and wealth they conquered to Islam's magnification. When Islam became the majority it became the oppressive form that the Taliban, the Wahabbis, Daesh, Boko Haram, and others have modeled in recent years. Islam's golden years had little to do with what Muhammad actually said.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This might sound like an odd question, but does anyone know why there were American citizens in Afghanistan at all this past year? Donald Trump had been drawing down troops and the Doha agreement and US withdrawal had been known about for quite awhile now, at least a couple years it was pretty openly discussed across the media. So why are there still some Americans in Afghanistan? Did they not know that the US was leaving? Or did they not actually believe it would happen? Or were they willing to risk their lives for family they have there?

I just find it odd that critics suggest that the US has failed these people by leaving them behind, but surely they would have known there'd be some risk to travelling to, living in, and not leaving a war zone, all the while troops were gradually drawn down over the years.

What does everyone think of this?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This might sound like an odd question, but does anyone know why there were American citizens in Afghanistan at all this past year? Donald Trump had been drawing down troops and the Doha agreement and US withdrawal had been known about for quite awhile now, at least a couple years it was pretty openly discussed across the media. So why are there still some Americans in Afghanistan? Did they not know that the US was leaving? Or did they not actually believe it would happen? Or were they willing to risk their lives for family they have there?

I just find it odd that critics suggest that the US has failed these people by leaving them behind, but surely they would have known there'd be some risk to travelling to, living in, and not leaving a war zone, all the while troops were gradually drawn down over the years.

What does everyone think of this?
US races to find safe haven for Afghan translators in Central Asia as troop withdrawal nears - CNNPolitics
Right, here’s an article from July 2 about getting translators out. It’s not like the US hadn’t been working on this for a while. The biggest problem I e seen is that the State Dept didn’t expedite visas for these people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And that's not even talking about the drugs and terrorism that were exported out of aghanistan, threatning peace, law and order in other countries.
The Taliban did not stop the bomber from getting through their security set-up that was around the airport. Plus, they let thousands of ISIS fighters out of prison.

But it seems the international community has allowed the Taliban to take over, and there is no obvious action to remove them, though it seems this could be done. They could simply say the Taliban action is illegal and put them out and restore the government which the people did vote for . . . I suppose.

If the gang had taken over the United States Capitol, to the shock of America and the world, would they be considered the new government??

So, for some reason . . . even though the Afghan voters put in the leaders they voted in, now the world is letting the Taliban stay . . . though they were not voted in by the people . . . unless there was corrupt operation of the vote. Well, the ones voted in were known for corruption, I think. So, I don't know.

But I am curious how many Taliban infiltrated the army, pretending to enlist in order to keep that corrupt government in power, but with the strategy to surrender when the Taliban made their moves.

from the perspective of the common man in afghanistan
There are common Afghans who want to get out. One whose "remains" were discovered in the wheel well of a plane, right? Another hung from a plane that was taking off, right? That's two Afghans, anyway, who did not want to stay.

But as others have pointed out the fractious nature of the Taliban may well mean battles between warlords in the years to come.
I have read that already there are Afghans who are fighting the Taliban. Ones such as those at first were used by the U.S. military to put the Taliban out . . . using American air power to back up the locals. Those locals were standing up to the Taliban, even before American military operations were supporting them . . . maybe; I don't know for sure.

But it seems the Taliban soldiers are willing to die for what is evil. Humans can do this. Look at how many Germans turned out to be able to become Nazis and S.S. people who did what they did to the Jews and others. There were enough such Germans to keep the world quite busy, for a while. Plus, look at how many Japanese people became able to fool themselves into doing what they did during World War 2. Humans can do this sort of stuff. But such Germans and Japanese were willing to kill and die for their foolish stuff.

But the Afghan soldiers who surrendered were apparently not interested in dying for the government which was in power. Like I say, I do not know how many of them were undercover Taliban waiting for their time.

But it looks like what the Taliban wants is so inferior, that they can't recruit a large number of fighters willing to die for their thing . . . not enough to beat other countries; Pakistan has stood up to them; and so they might start to rise up, again, but just be stomped down whenever someone bigger sees fit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
US races to find safe haven for Afghan translators in Central Asia as troop withdrawal nears - CNNPolitics
Right, here’s an article from July 2 about getting translators out. It’s not like the US hadn’t been working on this for a while. The biggest problem I e seen is that the State Dept didn’t expedite visas for these people.

I mean for American citizens that don't even need visas. But yea that makes sense.

Doha Agreement (2020) - Wikipedia

Here in wiki, the Doha agreement dates back to February of 2020 and troops were significantly drawn down over a year ago. You would think that this should have compelled Americans to make plans to leave.

"The Agreement provided for the withdrawal of all NATO forces from Afghanistan in return for a Taliban pledge to prevent al-Qaeda from operating in areas under Taliban control, as well as ongoing talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government. The United States agreed to an initial reduction of its force level from 13,000 to 8,600 within 135 days (ie., by July 2020), followed by a full withdrawal within 14 months (ie., by 1 May 2021) if the Taliban keeps its commitments. The United States also committed to closing five military bases within 135 days, and expressed its intent to end economic sanctions on the Taliban by August 27, 2020."

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
@ about the Taliban

Their rule was filled with small civil wars, systematic massacres of the civilian population and the destruction of precious heritage objects like the buddah statues of bamiyan. Not to speak of the systematic oppression of women and anyone not believing in the talibans' brand of islam.
So it is.
And that should not be forgotten.

Upvote 0