Earth
✟12,825.00
Country
Moldova, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I have a little question and I don't know who can I ask, so I decided to write here) Has anyone ever been in Turkey? Or maybe you live there? Next week we go on a trip there and I want to take my Bible with me. Is it possible to have problems at the border because of this? :) Thank you!

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I havent been to Turkey myself but they rely on tourist money so I would be very surprised if you had a problem as long as you keep it fairly discreet. It is a Muslim country with a minority Christian population. Anything seen as preaching the gospel could be a problem and in some Muslim countries having a bible in public is prohibited and in others I think owning a Bible is illegal, I dont know about Turkey though. If I were you I would check with the travel agents or even the Turkish embassy in your country.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey, I have a little question and I don't know who can I ask, so I decided to write here) Has anyone ever been in Turkey? Or maybe you live there? Next week we go on a trip there and I want to take my Bible with me. Is it possible to have problems at the border because of this? :) Thank you!
I was in Istanbul a few years ago and, apart from the mosques, it was much like your average western city.

however

The country has moved towards a right wing semi-dictatorship with a religious (Muslim)ethos following an attempted coup a couple of years back. The Turks have just (yesterday) re-elected Recep Erdogan as President with a set of extended presidential powers.

I would be cautious about creating any impression you were some sort of missionary and definitely avoid appearing to proselytise. Check with your State Department. They should have advice online about possible risks.
OB

Reactions: JesusAddicted
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Even if a bible is not a problem, perhaps your shoelace is tied wrong
and you are taken to court for that? I wouldn't push your luck.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Travel Advisory for Turkey below copied from US State Dept site. Things appear to be a little tense. Take care.

Travel Advisory
January 12, 2018
Turkey - Level 3: Reconsider Travel

Reconsider travel to Turkey due to terrorism and arbitrary detentions. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

• Areas along the Turkey-Syria border and the southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, and Bitlis due to terrorism.
Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Turkey. Terrorist organizations explicitly target Western tourists and expatriates. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Under the current State of Emergency, security forces have detained individuals suspected of affiliation with alleged terrorist organizations based on scant or secret evidence and grounds that appear to be politically motivated. U.S. citizens have also been subject to travel bans that prevent them from departing Turkey. Participation in gatherings, protests, and demonstrations not explicitly approved by the Government of Turkey can result in arrest. The Government of Turkey has detained and deported U.S. citizens without allowing access to lawyers or family members, and has not routinely granted consular access to detained U.S. citizens who also possess Turkish citizenship.

U.S. government subjects its personnel in Turkey to certain security restrictions. Family members cannot accompany U.S. government employees who work at the U.S. Consulate in Adana.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Turkey:

• Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
  • Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners, particularly at popular tourist locations in Istanbul.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures.
  • Monitor local media and adjust your plans based on new information.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Turkey.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Southeast Turkey and the Syrian Border

Southeastern Turkey, including the provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, and Bitlis, is vulnerable to terrorist activities and kinetic actions by Government of Turkey security forces. Large-scale terrorist attacks including suicide bombings, ambushes, car bomb detonations, improvised explosive devices, as well as kidnappings for ransom, shootings, roadblocks, and violent demonstrations have occurred in these areas.

Do not to travel to the large urban centers near the Turkish/Syrian border due to the continued threat of attacks by terrorist groups based in both Turkey and Syria. The government of Turkey prohibits border crossings from Syria into Turkey, even if the traveler previously entered Syria from Turkey.

The U.S. government has very limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in southeastern Turkey as the U.S. government restricts its employees from traveling to the region.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Upvote 0