Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does this mean or include? What does taking a name mean? Is it cussing? Could it mean much more?
I do not believe it means cussing at all, although we should not say things that do not edify, of which cussing falls under. Taking the Lord's name in vain means making the covenant relationship we have with him mean nothing. Israel had many commandments they were to obey, and when they chronically disregarded those commandments, they took their relationship by covenant with Yahweh in vain. Likewise, as Christians we have the name of Christ in our covenant relationship with him. To not love others, or to not forgive as Jesus did and to disregard the morality and behavior God wants us to walk in is to take our Lord's name in vain.

Most believers think that using the name of the Lord in such things as saying "God damn it" is taking the name of the Lord in vain. They are correct but for the wrong reasons. We have forgotten the power of words. Cussing is short for cursing. To make such a statement is to place a curse on someone or something. This is contrary to the character of God who is a Savior, not a destroyer. So in this sense it takes the name of the Lord in vain since we are the hands and feet of God on Earth, thus we are to be the character of God as well.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I injure myself sometimes I "bleep" a curse word but no matter what they are, I immediately ask for forgiveness because I slipped up. But the longer we live in faith, the less that happens and our mind has an interesting way in choosing other words. But I use to think the same thing about taking Gods name in vain. Thanks for the clarification Alex! Good stuff.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the definition of vain

I interpret it as using God's name without revering him. I'm not sure if saying "oh em gee" is considered using his name in vain.

Fun fact: the "oh" in "oh em gee" is actually derived from the vocative particle 'O' (which is used in the King James Bible)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Consider Ecclesiastes 12:8

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Everything is meaningless!" (NIV)

Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; all is vanity. (ESV)

Vanity means the same as meaningless. Taking the Lord's name in vain is to use it in a meaningless way. Either you say it for nothing, taking an oath in God's name, and then breaking that oath, or you say it in a meaningless way, using it the same as any of the other obscenities that people use without really meaning those words according to their actual definition. Expletives have a meaning, but they're seldom used according to their meaning. Hence, the words are used in a meaningless way.

Saying that "God" and "Lord" are titles and not a name is just a dodge. If I say "President," you might ask me which one, thinking I refer to one of the many past and present U.S. Presidents, when I'm really referring to the president of a social club. When I say "Lord," or "God," you know exactly who I'm talking about. It's not just a role that might be filled by any of a number of people. It refers to exactly one being, and it's an unchanging title. Therefore, it is also a name. You use the idea of God as nothing but junk verbiage. It says a lot about your reverence for God.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"God" and "The Lord" are titles, not names.
To take His name in vain, is to say that you are something that you have no desire to be....
Correct, they are only titles. His name is Jesus. However, we also know that Jesus is God and the Lord, so taking his name in vain is implied.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God stated specifically what His name was and said that this will be His name forever. He also statement that His people will forget his name for Baal e.g. Lord. There are religions with hundreds of gods. Satan is the god of THIS WORLD.....why would anyone states that you can disregard the name of Our Father and just use "God?" I find no fault in anyone choosing to do this for themselves.....but to teach others to do this as well?.....I wouldn't do it.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider Ecclesiastes 12:8

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Everything is meaningless!" (NIV)

Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; all is vanity. (ESV)

Vanity means the same as meaningless. Taking the Lord's name in vain is to use it in a meaningless way. Either you say it for nothing, taking an oath in God's name, and then breaking that oath, or you say it in a meaningless way, using it the same as any of the other obscenities that people use without really meaning those words according to their actual definition. Expletives have a meaning, but they're seldom used according to their meaning. Hence, the words are used in a meaningless way.

Saying that "God" and "Lord" are titles and not a name is just a dodge. If I say "President," you might ask me which one, thinking I refer to one of the many past and present U.S. Presidents, when I'm really referring to the president of a social club. When I say "Lord," or "God," you know exactly who I'm talking about. It's not just a role that might be filled by any of a number of people. It refers to exactly one being, and it's an unchanging title. Therefore, it is also a name. You use the idea of God as nothing but junk verbiage. It says a lot about your reverence for God.
Are you saying that you would feel fine with someone never mentioning your name as long and they used a title everyone knew was in reference to you? And if there was any "power in your name" that power would also be transferred to the title associated with you?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God stated specifically what His name was and said that this will be His name forever. He also statement that His people will forget his name for Baal e.g. Lord. There are religions with hundreds of gods. Satan is the god of THIS WORLD.....why would anyone states that you can disregard the name of Our Father and just use "God?" I find no fault in anyone choosing to do this for themselves.....but to teach others to do this as well?.....I wouldn't do it.

Wow, why would you think that I am making a case for this? I am only acknowledging what people think, and what God understands. God looks on the heart not on the misunderstood words of people. He knows what we mean even when the words are wrong.

Again, I understand the title, but if you had a chance to meet the president, do you think he would ignore you if you called him, Mr. President? Of course not. The word "lord" is not confined to Baal. That is just a semitic word. Adonai means lord in Hebrew and Senor means lord in Spanish.

Father is not a name that is to be used by the unregenerate. Jesus used the term speaking to the Jews who were still under the Mosaic covenant. Pagans have never been under that covenant. And now for all those born again, Father is what we call God because He is our father in Christ. So much so that we can call him, Abba, or Pappa.

This thread is about taking God's name in vain. I already explained what that means. Nitpicking over the letter misses the spirit of the thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, why would you think that I am making a case for this? I am only acknowledging what people think, and what God understands. God looks on the heart not on the misunderstood words of people. He knows what we mean even when the words are wrong.

Again, I understand the title, but if you had a chance to meet the president, do you think he would ignore you if you called him, Mr. President? Of course not. The word "lord" is not confined to Baal. That is just a semitic word. Adonai means lord in Hebrew and Senor means lord in Spanish.

Father is not a name that is to be used by the unregenerate. Jesus used the term speaking to the Jews who were still under the Mosaic covenant. Pagans have never been under that covenant. And now for all those born again, Father is what we call God because He is our father in Christ. So much so that we can call him, Abba, or Pappa.

This thread is about taking God's name in vain. I already explained what that means. Nitpicking over the letter misses the spirit of the thread.
My post wasn't responding to you. When I am responding to a particular person, I quote them...like I am doing right now. Now I mind as well address what you said in this post.....as I saw nothing needing response in the first.

The bible states that People Perish for lack of knowledge.....So saying God understands or knows the heart, cant apply to everything. There will be cases where you will perish for doing things the wrong way even when you think you are doing it right.

I did not say Lord was confined to Baal. I was quoting a verse said to has been spoken by YHWH. He say His name would be forgotten for Baal...I was just making note that the translation for Baal is Lord or the Lord.

And if the President is alone at the white house and he is the only president there, of course he will answer you. But What if there is a meeting of the presidents of the world and many are there? Would you go and make a request and say President? Would this not anger all the presidents there because they would have to then guess who you are talking to? Would they all just jump in to answer the request, or would they wait to be addressed by name?

I'm fine with whatever name you choose to use when you pray. If you find that you don't get an answer, you can try calling them by name. The God I serve always answers and always gives what you ask for....so be careful what you ask for because you might not like how it comes..... But we wont have to worry about this if we are.........asking amiss.....

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bible states that People Perish for lack of knowledge.....So saying God understands or knows the heart, cant apply to everything. There will be cases where you will perish for doing things the wrong way even when you think you are doing it right.

Actually, Raymond, I understand what you mean. And a heart that is wicked that does not want to know the one true God, He will not answer. The sin of the unregenerate separates us from God. But there are also millions who are seeking God, but do not know His name. This is what I meant. I, myself, cried out to God seeking Him in truth, but had no knowledge of who he was until a messianic Jew asked me probing questions that helped me to realize who He was. It is in this context that I was speaking.

Forgive me my error in not knowing who you were addressing. You did not quote the person, and you were below my answer so I made that connection.

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, Raymond, I understand what you mean. And a heart that is wicked that does not want to know the one true God, He will not answer. The sin of the unregenerate separates us from God. But there are also millions who are seeking God, but do not know His name. This is what I meant. I, myself, cried out to God seeking Him in truth, but had no knowledge of who he was until a messianic Jew asked me probing questions that helped me to realize who He was. It is in this context that I was speaking.

Forgive me my error in not knowing who you were addressing. You did not quote the person, and you were below my answer so I made that connection.
And after that probe, the conclusion was that He was "Jesus"?

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To blaspheme is to purposefully slander, insult, or defame God. No magic formula of words by themselves equates to blasphemy without intention. However, many people build fences around certain phrases to ensure they don't accidentally take God's name in vain. This might sound pious, but it is legalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What does this mean or include? What does taking a name mean? Is it cussing? Could it mean much more?

The Mosaic Covenant is often described as a marriage covenant, and in a marriage, the wife takes her husband's name, and indeed God said that He would put His name on His people (Numbers 6:27). We are Christ's ambassadors or representatives to the world, so when we do things that glorify God's reputation, then we are bringing honor to His name, but if we are unfaithful to God and do things that decrease His reputation, then we have taken His name in vain. So cussing is a way to take God's name in vain, but it means much more than that.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To blaspheme is to purposefully slander, insult, or defame God. No magic formula of words by themselves equates to blasphemy without intention. However, many people build fences around certain phrases to ensure they don't accidentally take God's name in vain. This might sound pious, but it is legalism.
Not asking about blasphemy. Do see how it could be taking God's name in vain.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Mosaic Covenant is often described as a marriage covenant, and in a marriage, the wife takes her husband's name, and indeed God said that He would put His name on His people (Numbers 6:27). We are Christ's ambassadors or representatives to the world, so when we do things that glorify God's reputation, then we are bringing honor to His name, but if we are unfaithful to God and do things that decrease His reputation, then we have taken His name in vain. So cussing is a way to take God's name in vain, but it means much more than that.
What are some other ways? Cussing has always been at the forefront of what I thought it meant enforced by the religious people and leaders.

Upvote 0