• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

taking a xanax when flying

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always had a horrible fear of flying and everytime i fly i am constantly on edge.
Is it wrong for a christian to take a xanax or benzo type medication for the flight.
Clearly I am only taking for the flight and would not take before or after the flight.

I think in those circumstances it would be okay correct?
Also I am thinking about getting on prozac to keep my anxiety etc low in general.
What are your thoughts?
When I say I get panicky on flights, its like really constantly on edge and the problem is, these are LONG FLIGHTS. 8 to 10 hours each way

• Prayers
Reactions: Brightmoon

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't believe it is wrong for Christian to take medications for any reason. It's perfectly fine to have the medical help that you need.

As far as flying, I don't know if there are regulations about being medicated. I think people can't board planes when they are intoxicated or suspected of being under the influence, but I'm not certain about that. I've never flown before. So if the medication has a bad effect on your behavior or capacitation, you might want to look into something else.

I'm afraid to fly and besides that I have no desire to. I'm dreading the day I have to step on a plane for the first time. I plan on trying to take atarax when I do. It knocks me out, so I'd probably sleep through it. I hope!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wrong? I would say not if it is a rare occurrence.
Have you tried natural methods though?

If you fly often, then there are ways to work through these panic attacks... good healthy ways to learn. There is even Virtual Reality set up through psychologists that desensitize you slowly. Have you considered taking one of the courses for fearful flyers that the airlines offer?

Here's one link that might get you thinking...https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/11/07/9-best-xanax-alternatives-natural-treatments-for-anxiety/

I think it helps to realize that you are more likely to be injured in a car crash... many times over than in a plane... so to find out why the anxiety would be a good thing (is it that they can't park it on a cloud and let you out to breathe??? ;) )

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have always had a horrible fear of flying and everytime i fly i am constantly on edge.
Is it wrong for a christian to take a xanax or benzo type medication for the flight.
Clearly I am only taking for the flight and would not take before or after the flight.

Also I am thinking about getting on prozac to keep my anxiety etc low in general.
What are your thoughts?
When I say I get panicky on flights, its like really constantly on edge and the problem is, these are LONG FLIGHTS. 8 to 10 hours each way
If a doctor actually says you need it.... that's one thing....

If you take your time and look around, you will find that God has other ways, non-toxic ways....

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're only going to use it for flying, and nothing else, I think that's perfectly okay. In my view, there's really no difference between taking a Xanax to help calm down during a flight, and taking Dramamine so that you don't get motion sickness, which I've done numerous times on planes and boats.

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
By all means take the Xanax. The last thing the other passengers and crew need are someone with a panic attack. Be as strong in the Lord too as you can. Find some scriptures dealing with the peace and safety of God that you can meditate on such as Ps 91 or others such as Isaiah 32:17 (KJV) 17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

If you fly enough and stay focused on the Lord, you will be able to release that fear. You will overcome!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed Each Day

Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What are your thoughts?
It is absolutely not wrong for a Christian to take any benzodiazepines before a flight :) Unless you're taking them recreationally (which from your post it doesn't sound like whatsoever) and/or taking them in excess (again, doubtful), you are perfectly fine to use them unless a doctor has indicated otherwise.

I was on a flight a week ago in which I had to take some of my prescribed Valium because standing up while waiting in line for the restroom when turbulence hit didn't mesh well with my nervous system:laughing:

Reactions: SistrNChrist
Upvote 0

FatRabbit

Aug 24, 2018
Singapore
✟7,955.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I asked this question many times as well but one day my hubby hit me by saying, God invented xanax to help us cope our weakness in flesh. As long as you are not abusing the medication, just take them. It helps me to snap my negative emotions and let me do what I need to do. When my anxiety level is at it's highest, I even pop one to go to church because I don't want to let my fear be a hindrance to my life. But having that said, you should also try your best to train your fear. I take every anxiety sessions as practice nowadays and I think I'm improving slowly.

• Agree
Reactions: SistrNChrist
Upvote 0