• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Tablet Bibles at church

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by nhamel802, May 3, 2012.

1. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I've noticed lately that a some of the members at our church are using like the iPhones of the iPads as their Bible what is your feelings about this over the traditional page printed Bibles is this a suitable replacement of bringing the Bible to church just using your iPhone

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Searching For Truth

Searching For Truth Newbie

+1
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    Why Not? Its not the actual book that matters, its the words within the book. so even if the bible was written on toilet paper and someone had to study a role of toilet paper would they not receive the same message??? would it not still be the supposed word inspired by God? salvation comes from God NOT the book!!!

Its funny you asked this, I currently have an NIV bible(book) but wanted to read more of the KJV so just today, I downloaded it on my Evo3d phone. ;-)

3. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Cool may use mine some

4. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have a iPhone 4s and some time when thy move from books a lot it would make it faster

5. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

+1,745
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Why wouldn't it be? It's not the book that is inspired and sacred, its the words, and they can be received in any form.

6. ChrisHolland619

ChrisHolland619 Newbie

+63
    Baptist
    It's the content of the book, not the book. Do not make the physical Bible you have an idol; it's not special. It's the Word of God within that is Holy.

7. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ya I was looking to see how it was looked at because I have a iPhone and would be Nice use during service but still use my Thompson chain reference in bible class on home studying

8. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
  9. leywren

leywren Newbie

+1
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I use a Nook at church occaisonally because I am often on high doses of prednisone and need the larger print to be able to read it.

10. xmissjasmine

xmissjasmine Guest

+0
    Personally I prefer the book. It's just me because for me I find the phones distracting. One minute your reading the next minute you have 5 missed calls and a text. It's just me. A tablet/nook/kindle may be different...but I'm just a bit old fashioned I think. I know for me it's just a bit too much of a distraction.

11. desmalia

desmalia sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays

+864
    Canada
    Calvinist
    Married
    I think that's the only major issue with using the digital forms instead of the printed book form. Being digital is not good or bad. It's the potential distractions of other things loaded on the device that could be problematic.

12. dies-l

dies-l Guest

+0
    I agree with this. I can't use my phone to read the Bible during quiet time or church because I know that I will inevitably want to check my email, play a game, or do something else that distracts me from my purpose. Since I know that this is going to be a temptation I try not to put myself in that situation.

On another level, I just like having the paper version in front of me. There is something about the tactile experience of reading Scripture that is meaningful to me. Maybe I am just strange in that regard.

13. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I use my iPhone app for the first time last night church I really did like it I just put my phone in airplane mode so I don't get any texts or calls

14. nhamel802

nhamel802 Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    And our pastor said it doesn't matter what you use so long as you're looking at the word of God

15. Hammster

Hammster Private Status. Do Not Read. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+15,662
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I accidentally triggered Siri once when I was putting it back in my clip. All of the sudden, she says "I'm sorry. I didn't get that". I guess she couldn't discern what the pastor was saying. My embarrassment was for her.

16. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

+1,745
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I have the NASB on my Android phone, but I take my good old worn and thumbed-through hard copy of God's word to church with me. I don't see anything wrong with using a tablet or phone version, but I don't, even though I endorsed it earlier in the thread.

17. desmalia

desmalia sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays

+864
    Canada
    Calvinist
    Married
    Well if you are, so am I! lol
    Maybe we're just getting old... I can say that because I've got a few years on you...;)

18. FuegoPentecostes

FuegoPentecostes Regular Member

+14
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I'm pretty old fashion, I prefer the traditional book.
    I feel, as others have said, using an electronic device would cause to much of a distraction. It's nice to have the actual Book, as the only distraction is more Scripture :)

19. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+617
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    What do you think the Christians of the first century used?

Perhaps we would do better if all of us tried to use memory again - orality. But for some of us older fellas, it could be a challenge.

Oz

20. joey_downunder

joey_downunder big sister

+135
    Baptist
    Married
    I use my Tablet because the local Baptist church uses the KJV and I'm too stingy to buy another bible that I got for free via download.