• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Ta-Nehisi Coates Assails Mitch McConnell at Raucous Reparations Hearing

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Jun 19, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,989
    Christian
    Ta-Nehisi Coates Assails Mitch McConnell at Raucous Reparations Hearing
    Happy Juneteenth!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,986
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    If I honestly thought that paying reparations would result in an end to all this grievance-based racial politicking, I'd wholeheartedly support reparations.

So, needless to say, I don't support reparations.

3. SummerMadness

+7,989
    Christian
    Ta-Nehisi Coates specified government policies and the direct victims of those racist polices, those people are still alive, why do they not deserve recompense?

4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,323
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,112
    Other Religion
    I don't know if anybody really knows yet, though I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of investment in rebuilding urban black communities. You could tackle reparations, infrastructure, crime, blight, and education in one fell swoop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. thecolorsblend

+4,986
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Because this entire phony mess is about reparations for slavery so Coates probably shouldn't change the subject, don't you think?

7. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,112
    Other Religion
    It's not changing the subject.

8. thecolorsblend

+4,986
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Subject: Slavery reparations
    What Coates Wants To Talk About: "Mr. Coates responded by ticking off a list of government-sponsored discriminatory policies". Iow, something that's not slavery.

The "legacy of slavery", lol, Coates is changing the subject.

9. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,112
    Other Religion
    No, he's not changing the subject. You're describing the scope of the hearing as being more narrow than it actually was. Here's the bill in question:

Text - H.R.40 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

It wasn't only about slavery (nor should it have been).

10. thecolorsblend

+4,986
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Uh huh.

11. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,854
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I am actually for reparations, but it has to be from the right people to the right people.

People who can be traced to slave owners pay out to people who can be traced to slaves.

12. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,112
    Other Religion
    You're free to disagree on what you think the scope should have been, but it's quite clear from the text that I quoted that you're wrong about what the scope of the hearing actually was.

13. SummerMadness

+7,989
    Christian
    It's okay to be wrong. The topic is not slavery only, as it should not be. The scope of the issue is more than just slavery itself.

14. Hank77

+9,323
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I would too. The price on homes and rentals would need to be controlled. It seems that when a area is gentrified for the people who live there the rents and home prices jump above their means.
    There was a issue in my state where the city had allowed a housing development as long has the price on homes were kept within a certain price range. It was all well and good until some first buyers wanted to sell their homes at prices much higher than they should have been. I think it ended up in court because the developer or real estate broker hadn't let the first buyers know about the restrictions.

15. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,112
    Other Religion
    Depending on what city you're talking about, the increased supply could actually help push market prices down to some degree. Here in Baltimore, for example, certain neighborhoods have gentrified and prices have gone up considerably, while many other neighborhoods are still struggling and others would be better off being leveled entirely. Rebuilding a ton of housing stock would take pressure off the expensive neighborhoods and would remove a bunch of blight.

Additionally, there's probably a case to be made that high-density affordable housing should be part of a program like this.

Nice.

16. thecolorsblend

+4,986
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Uh huh.

17. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,979
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I’m for that personally but wouldn’t force it on anyone else. Of course, I’m pretty sure all white people today in the U.S. are beneficiaries of slavery.

18. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,854
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    How? My friend who just recently became an American citizen. How did he benefit from slavery?

19. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven "After all this time?" Always.

+10,954
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    Your last sentence reminded me of this quote: "When Donald Trump says, 'Make America Great Again,' what time period is he talking about? A lot of people overlook that America's history has been built upon injustice against other racial groups, including Native American people." - Vanessa Bowen

Source: Navajo Artist Mocks Trump With 'Make America Native Again' Hats

20. Hank77

+9,323
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'd say I have benefited from being white but not because of slavery.