Hong Kong
✟151,074.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not unsympathetic to the struggles that people of color face. But a culture that glorifies crime, stigmatizes academic achievement, and "disrupts the nuclear family" is not a recipe for success, no matter how much money you throw at it. But the Smithsonian told us that hard work, rational thought, and the nuclear family were aspects of "whiteness", so apparently those things are bad.

I did not have any pre- WW2 immigrant family in the USA
and things are way way better now-
But Asians faced some really severe discrimination and violence
in the "old days ".
They dealt with it by working harder than the locals, beating them
at their own game.

The cultural influences you speak of are going the opposite
way. Its a great pity.

Reactions: iarwain
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
a culture that glorifies crime, stigmatizes academic achievement, and "disrupts the nuclear family" is not a recipe for success, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Yeah. Sure would be terrible if people of color were actually like that and not just a horribly bigoted stereotype.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. Sure would be terrible if people of color were actually like that and not just a horribly bigoted stereotype.
Ringo
White is just as much of a color as black, brown, or anything else; so everybody is a person of color. Minority people are not as described, but there is a culture that too many minorities adopt that is as described.

• Agree
Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,074.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
White is just as much of a color as black, brown, or anything else; so everybody is a person of color. Minority people are not as described, but there is a culture that too many minorities adopt that is as described.

Its foolishness to deny self destructive cultural
stereotypes exist and take their toll, among hillbillies
or religious cultists, for two.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

In other words, racism.
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Though some minorities may adopt a cultural of racism, that is not the culture I was talking about.

I'm not talking about racism on their parts.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're not talking about racist minorities, what you said makes no sense.

Seems like assuming something about a group of people such as minorities, is racism.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree; but that has nothing to do with anything I've said thus far.

OK, you're right. I was going to nail you on the "culture that glorifies crime" comment, but that wasn't you. I genuinely stand corrected.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
OK, you're right. I was going to nail you on the "culture that glorifies crime" comment, but that wasn't you. I genuinely stand corrected.
Ringo
Earlier I did agree that there is a street culture that glorifies crime and other such bad behaviors; and that too many minorities engage in that culture. It isn't racist when you point out something that is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Look at the US housing market for examples. There are several federal (HUD) papers on racial factors in the housing market that are freely available online.

African-Americans and Latinos, for instance, on average have to make more calls and applications for apartments and tend to pay higher out of pockets like renters insurance and processing costs/fees when compared to Whites and Asians. Even when income and other factors are evened out.

Same thing when selling a house. An African-American couple had a White neighbour pose as the home owner during valuations. End result was that the house was appraised as worth nearly $500,000 more when it was 'owned' by the neighbour. Full story here: Home appraisal for Black couple skyrockets after white friend pretends to be homeowner

Also look at the jobs market. There are a couple of studies on how likely a person is to get a job interview when they have an 'African' or 'Asian' name vs a 'White' name on their resume, or use and Anglicized version of their own name.

Other examples from the jobs market are differences in African-American unemployment rates and rates of managerial attainment, even when corrected for education levels.

Also look at 'upward mobility' statistics - African Americans and Latinos born in households in the bottom 25% of income earners are about 1/2 as likely to move into a higher income bracket in adulthood than White or Asian counterparts.

Systemic racism is also prevalent in the education sector. Plenty of examples there.

What do you think keeps systemic racism alive?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm ... a system.

The prison system seems to profit off of incarcerating black people for no reason other than them being too poor to post bail.

It's a form of forced labour, so I'd say it's a form of slavery for sure.

Most people have to work in order to live.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to statistics 90% of the wealth is held by white people. So this angle isn't really exploratory, but encouraging myopia, and part of the problem.

That depends on what form their wealth is in. Material things are owned and held. Financial assets are owned but seldom held.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which part? The evil part? Two words: private prisons.
Two more words: legalized slavery.

Racist? Yes. Because of the systematic problems in our criminal justice system and a multitude of other inter-connected systems.

Non white offenders face harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes.

Economic failures against non-white, principally black and Hispanic communities, include redlining, under-funding black communities, simultaneously under and over-policing in those communities.

Economic and classist factors are at play, and both go into and profit from historic racist social practices that are not properly addressed.

Black people do not commit more crimes than white people.

But black people have been--by design--given the continued short end of the stick at virtually every level of society, and by almost any metric. That's not an accident, it was on purpose.

Just because there are fewer openly racist people does not negate the historic ramifications of the systems our white great grandparents put into place to keep non-white people down, and give systemic privilege and power to white people (but specifically and especially rich land-owning white males).

If suddenly every person on the planet suddenly became completely non-racist in anyway whatsoever. There would still be serious problems to address.

So yes, our prison system in the US, like many other things in this country, are racist. And were racist by design.

-CryptoLutheran

It's new day for minorities. They just haven't taken full advantage of it. Ball's in their court.

Upvote 0