Jan 4, 2017
DFW Metroplex
✟13,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I've recently been trying to begin research into Protestant theology recently, but I'm having a bit of trouble starting, because I'm not sure where to look. I went ahead and bought a collected works of Luther's writings, as well as Calvin's Institutes, and a systematic theology textbook by Louis Berkhof. I've been trained (or rather, I am being trained) with a more systematic background in philosophy plus some in scholastic theology, and so I was bewildered when I opened up the Berkhof volume to not find a sheer presentation of theological principles, but instead a strong focus on using various terms directly from scripture, when possible, and working within that positive framework. If that makes sense. Maybe there is no such thing as what I am looking for, but I thought to ask since it would be helpful.

Along those lines, there are of course many Protestant traditions. What contemporary theologians are considered "gold standards" within those traditions? -- not just in terms of scriptural commentary, but more systematic work, if there is such work. In other words, if I asked where to find the most rigorously argued presentation of a specific Protestant tradition on principled or speculative grounds, where would I find it? I know that's a wide net, but hopefully some posters will have some authors come to mind. To give one example that I know of from my studies so far, there is Karl Barth in the Reformed tradition, although I have only read quotes from him in various works. But clearly that is not representative of the Protestant tradition at large.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello all,

I've recently been trying to begin research into Protestant theology recently, but I'm having a bit of trouble starting, because I'm not sure where to look. I went ahead and bought a collected works of Luther's writings, as well as Calvin's Institutes, and a systematic theology textbook by Louis Berkhof. I've been trained (or rather, I am being trained) with a more systematic background in philosophy plus some in scholastic theology, and so I was bewildered when I opened up the Berkhof volume to not find a sheer presentation of theological principles, but instead a strong focus on using various terms directly from scripture, when possible, and working within that positive framework. If that makes sense. Maybe there is no such thing as what I am looking for, but I thought to ask since it would be helpful.

Along those lines, there are of course many Protestant traditions. What contemporary theologians are considered "gold standards" within those traditions? -- not just in terms of scriptural commentary, but more systematic work, if there is such work. In other words, if I asked where to find the most rigorously argued presentation of a specific Protestant tradition on principled or speculative grounds, where would I find it? I know that's a wide net, but hopefully some posters will have some authors come to mind. To give one example that I know of from my studies so far, there is Karl Barth in the Reformed tradition, although I have only read quotes from him in various works. But clearly that is not representative of the Protestant tradition at large.
You might have to go back to Karl Barth for that. His name doesn't seem to be mentioned much any more but I have known a few Barthians over the years.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

May I recommend the Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Loraine Boettner as another choice for study?

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

NeoScholasticism

Jan 4, 2017
DFW Metroplex
✟13,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You might have to go back to Karl Barth for that. His name doesn't seem to be mentioned much any more but I have known a few Barthians over the years.

Chevyontheriver,
Much thanks. I'll look into it. If nothing else, I'll start von Balthasar's book on Barth here soon. It's been sitting on my shelf for a year, collecting dust.

Upvote 0

NeoScholasticism

Jan 4, 2017
DFW Metroplex
✟13,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
May I recommend the Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Loraine Boettner as another choice for study?

GillDouglas,

Thanks for the recommendation. Just got it for a dollar on Amazon Kindle. I love it when that happens. Will read soon.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Our modern world tends to be existential and therefore allergic to systems. I would focus on Calvin's Institutes.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
R. C. Sproul (www.ligonier.com) is a widely known and reputable preacher and scholar of the Reform tradition. He has a degree - not sure what level - in Philosophy.

He constantly uses quotations from many of the church fathers, as well as Luther and later theologians. I cannot think of a single work - I really don't have a list of them in my head - but suggest you look at his work.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
NeoScholasticism said:
Archie the Preacher,
Excellent. His work is the kind of thing I'm looking for. But I'm not sure if I'll be visiting historic Ligionier anytime soon. Maybe you meant to type in Ligionier.org.
:)
Oops. My apologies.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Chevyontheriver,
Much thanks. I'll look into it. If nothing else, I'll start von Balthasar's book on Barth here soon. It's been sitting on my shelf for a year, collecting dust.
That would be an excellent start. Now I'm not in to recommending Hans Kung, but the best book he ever wrote was about Barth. Without soiling your hands too much you might want to look at that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NeoScholasticism

Jan 4, 2017
DFW Metroplex
✟13,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That would be an excellent start. Now I'm not in to recommending Hans Kung, but the best book he ever wrote was about Barth. Without soiling your hands too much you might want to look at that too.
No worries. I can always cleanse my soiled hands in the flowing waters of Garrigou-Lagrange. (Granted, I'm not a pure bred neo-Thomist, since I'm something of a probabilist and a maybe leaning more away from the standard Banezianism.) But in all seriousness, I have about 75% of his (written) corpus on my bookshelf here, next to the Summa. His work is a real gift to the Church, I think in some ways anticipating Lumen Gentium.

At any rate, I found the book you're talking about. I'll keep that in mind. Well, even if he couldn't get Catholic theology right, at least he could get somebody else's theology right.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

A few more considerations:

"Loci Communes 1521" by Philip Melanchthon (Lutheran)
"Systematic Theology" by Charles Hodge (Presbyterian)
"Doctrinal Divinity" by John Gill (Baptist)

Hodge and Gill are available at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by systematic theology? If you mean an orderly presentation, then the Institutes would be the place to start for classic Protestant theology. If you mean developing theology from systematic principles, it may not be. Protestant theology tends to be inductive, developed from Scripture.

There are systematic theologies, particularly recently. Here's an interesting list: Systematic theology - Wikipedia. But I'm not sure you'd consider all of them systematic. I've read works by several of the people on that list (mostly from the last 100 years), but not something you'd probably consider a systematic theology. I tend to be more interested in works about specific topics, which generally are based on Scripture, and tend to be more inductive.

Reactions: Geralt
Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I've recently been trying to begin research into Protestant theology recently, but I'm having a bit of trouble starting, because I'm not sure where to look. ...

In other words, if I asked where to find the most rigorously argued presentation of a specific Protestant tradition on principled or speculative grounds, where would I find it? I know that's a wide net, but hopefully some posters will have some authors come to mind....

Hello,
I am from more of a conservative Wesleyan background. There is not one single source I can recommend, but two books were, for me, very informative. Both by the same author, Robert Shank. The first is called Life in the Son, and the second, Elect in the Son. Outside of the bible itself, both served me very well, and introduced me (especially the 2nd on the concept of corporate election) to much needed concepts. I believe that if one grasps the concept of corporate election fully (that Jesus is the Elect One, and as His bride, the church shares in His election), then much else will fall into place (like warnings to not fall away from the elect body).

I wish you well on your studies. May God guide you into His truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Um... you really don't want to do that.
Sure you do. The Institutes was probably the finest systematic presentation of theology from the Reformation period. The controversial parts are actually pretty minor. Are you aware that the first edition didn't include a section on predestination?

I'm not sure that's where I'd start, but it should certainly be among the books any well-informed Christian has read. So should Luther, of course. Luther was less systematic, but more creative, and in a few cases more insightful.

Personally the books that I've found most useful haven't been presentations of all of theology, but of important topics. Although I'm interested in theology of both the Incarnation and Trinity, I've been more influenced personally by works on Biblical theology. Looking at my current book collection, a good starting point would be James Dunn, "New Testament Theology." Also, Nygren's "Agape and Eros." I'll try to come up with a recommendation for Christology.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
For Lutheranism, I would recommend Martin Chemnitz. He is the Lutheran equivalent of John Calvin or Richard Hooker. Luther himself was not a systematic theologian, and its arguable there are points that Luther and Chemnitz don't agree (Luther, at times, treats faith as something uncreated or divine union with Christ, Chemnitz treats faith as a created grace). Justification: Martin Chemnitz, Jacob A. O. Preus: 9780570042273: Amazon.com: Books

I would also recommend Richard Hooker for the Anglican scholastic tradition.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
.........................I know that's a wide net, but hopefully some posters will have some authors come to mind.
Someone has already mentioned Ligonier and R.C. Sproul.

Obviously that would be of the "Reformed" tradition. But then - if you are looking for "Protestant" theology that is the tradition you must start with - is it not?

May I suggest Ligonier "Connect" online lessons?

It does cost 9$ a month to subscribe. But you can drop out any time and you get easy learning for very little trouble and money IMO.

https://connect.ligonier.org

There are over 70 interactive course available and over 20 Reformed teachers and scholars to choose from in a half dozen categories which run the gamut of Protestant theology, biblical studies and church history (including looks at other mainline and cultist theologies along the way).

It's a lot more interesting way to go and easier than reading through the dozens of volumes it would take to present the same ideas in writing.

There is also the "monergism" site - also from a Reformed viewpoint.

Monergism

Everything from dozens of free recorded sermons and series to edited and unedited written theology from literally dozens of sources currently living and teaching or those long gone to be with the Lord.

Yes - these are "Reformed" materials". But then, like I indicated before, if you don't want to start with understanding "Reformed" theology and that way of thinking in general, you really are not interested in "Protestant" theology at all.

i.e. - if you start somewhere else - you are just skipping around and missing the entire Protestant way of thinking IMO.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Time to get MODERN!

Systematic theology is a discipline of Christian theology that formulates an orderly, rational, and coherent account of the doctrines of the Christian faith.

REF: Systematic theology - Wikipedia

Theology proper – The study of the character of God
Angelology – The study of angels
Biblical theology – The study of the bible
Christology – The study of Christ
Ecclesiology – The study of the church
Eschatology – The study of the "end times"
Hamartiology – The study of sin
Pneumatology – The study of the Holy Spirit
Soteriology – The study of salvation
Theological anthropology – The study of the nature of humanity.

REF ALSO:

Systematic theology | Theopedia

How does systematic theology work?

Upvote 0