• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Synthetic Life Discuss

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Victor Medvil, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Victor Medvil

Victor Medvil The Human Shadow

+4
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    This is a continuation of the Christian views on Scientific advancement, so there has been much work on synthetic life forms Bacteria,Viruses, and other creations which are purely synthetic. To Christians are these creatures unholy abominations that were created by man and not God, what are Christian views on synthetic life?

Link 1 = Synthetic phages with programmable specificity

Link 2 = Scientists Created Bacteria With a Synthetic Genome. Is This Artificial Life?

Link 3 = https://www.electronicdesign.com/in...ot-swarms-may-be-coming-sooner-than-you-think

Link 4 = Living robots built using frog cells: Tiny 'xenobots' assembled from cells promise advances from drug delivery to toxic waste clean-up

Link 5 = Japan approves first human-animal embryo experiments

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. solid_core

solid_core Well-Known Member

+1,072
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    Well, there are almost 2 billion of Christians around the world, so if you will try enough, you will find some individual Christian believing or not believing in anything you ask about.

But generally, there is no commandment or general rule for Christians that something like this is abomination, possible or impossible etc. Bible does not talk about synthetic life.

3. Victor Medvil

+4
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Interesting, so you think the bible does not specify such things, so then it should be alright by Christian views then?

4. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,584
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You could call domesticated animals and plants 'synthetic life', as they were created by thousands of thousands of generations of selective breeding and artificial selection. I don't see anyone complaining too much about that.

5. solid_core

+1,072
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    I think its about reason and conscience of any Christian. There is no defined rule for it. It can be good or bad. Like any use of science.

But I would not call genetic modification abomination more than nuclear sciences or chemistry or walking on the moon.

6. Victor Medvil

+4
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Well Good, because this is actual the subject I research myself is the creation of synthetic life specifically synthetic viral vectors. I would hate to think that someone thinks my creations are abominations.

7. solid_core

+1,072
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    If you doubt and think it is a sin, then it is a sin.

If you are certain its OK, then I do not see any commandment or rule against that. Use it for good and everything will be fine.

8. Victor Medvil

+4
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    I don't think anything is a sin, as I specified I am a atheist in my introduction post, but they are used for genetic engineering of animals and plants. The molecular devices that do the work to do such a act as genetic engineering.

9. solid_core

+1,072
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    Well, so far no sythetic life was created, so its only a theoretical question for Christians.

We can now mix genes, so we can create monsters and other obviously disgusting things like rat with human hand, cat with two heads etc. We can call it "abomination" in the meaning "its disgusting for us and horrible for the creature", but thats just my opinion.

10. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Purple today, tomorrow and Forever! Supporter

+6,156
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Far be it from me to deny empirical evidence where it might live and come about ...which isn't to say that I'll deny any repercussions that may also come with the same.

[​IMG]

11. xianghua

xianghua Well-Known Member

+547
    Judaism
    Single
    a robot is also the result of human design. thus the fact that someone can make artificial life doesnt prove non-design and actually its prove the opposite. a penguin for instance is a kind of a self replicating organic robot. and we know that any robot is the result of design.

12. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+4,886
    Atheist
    We've been over this false logic more than once previously. Equivocation and false equivalence do not make an argument.

13. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+6,283
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    So, there are no black swans?