• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Synergism, semi pelagianism etc.

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by dms1972, Feb 11, 2019.

1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,141
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I also should have pointed out, that most of Luther's works were utilizing polemics. He had to as he was in constant defense of his doctrines. Many in our postmodern culture when reading 16th century polemics don't 'get' that form of argument which in some cases can be quite harsh by today's standards.

I think it was the Bondage of the Will where Luther says to Erasmus "no matter what you send in response I will write Romans 3:20 over the top of it." Today that would be 'impolite' and dismissing another view out of hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. James Murphy

James Murphy New Convert To Lutheranism

+298
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Oh I do that all the time :laughing:

3. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+753
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    God sent the means to recapture our relationship with Him. We choose to accept or reject.

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."

4. he-man

he-man he-man

+288
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.

5. James Murphy

+298
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    And this had exactly what to do with what I posted?

6. His student

His student Well-Known Member

+272
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    In a word - yes. Does that mean such semi-Pelagians do not have saving faith? IMO not necessarily.

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay - fast bound in sin and nature's night.
    Thine eye diffused a quickening ray. I woke. The dungeon flamed with light.
    My chains fell off, my heart was free.
    I rose, went forth and followed Thee."

Charles Wesley had been a Christian for only two days when he penned those words.

But I suspect that the theology of Charles Wesley was never more pure than in those first days of his new life.

In the words of another old hymn - author unknown:

“I sought the Lord, and afterward I knew
    He moved my soul to seek Him, seeking me;
    it was not I that found, O Savior true;
    no, I was found of Thee.

Thou didst reach forth Thy hand and mine enfold;
    I walked and sank not on the storm-vexed sea;
    'twas not so much that I on Thee took hold,
    as Thou, dear Lord, on me.

I find, I walk, I love, but oh, the whole
    of love is but my answer, Lord, to thee!
    For thou wert long beforehand with my soul;
    always thou lovedst me.”

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. he-man

he-man he-man

+288
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    redleghunter said:
    That was my point. If Bloesch was a theologian then he should have known better. What was quoted by Bloesch is something you see at the Catholic Answers site "Luther said this..." and it goes downhill from there.
    Just sayin....

8. James Murphy

+298
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    And your quote from Ecclesiastes STILL has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.