Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 2 is a controversial chapter that I believe is almost universally misunderstood to mean a future event. Partly because we live in a "instant gratification" society that can't see the forest for the trees.

But the "context" is the last days (which is the whole New Testament period according to scripture) and the establishment of God's kingdom (which was at the time of the cross), and the cessation of warfare (which is also of Christ, the Prince of Peace). The problem (as I see it) is that people continually err in trying to look at prophesy as a physical/literal narrative. Worldly wars to cease, earthly kingdoms and thrones, physical lands, it is usually always the same error. A lack of understanding that scripture interprets scripture and that God speaks in symbolism. We pick up the context from verse 1.

Isaiah 2:1-4
  • "The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
  • And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
  • And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
  • And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
I believe that these passages speaks not of a universal peace on earth in the future, nor in heaven at Christ's second coming, but to the prophesies of Christ's first advent. The last days are the whole New Testament period, the new dispensation of Christ's Kingdom.

Acts 2:16-17
  • "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
  • And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"
The last days encompass the whole New Testament period, and was established in Christ's millennial Kingdom reign, and signified by the sign wonders at Pentecost. That is when the Mountain (kingdom) of the Lord's house was established over all kingdoms, and the nations or Gentiles began to flow into it. This is wherein the King or ruler of this Kingdom brought peace to the whole earth (as opposed to primarily Israel) and established judgment within the nations. This is how He ended their warfare. It is all pointing to the establishment of Christ's millennial kingdom reign, which is now. Not in the future, nor after so-called 7 years tribulation. You may be able to see this a little clearer if we go about it systematically, letting scripture interpret itself. Here is a brief overview.

1. And he shall judge among the nations

To judge among the nations is illustrating that Christ will set up his Kingdom among all nations of the world, that it will no longer be primarily national Israel. Christ judges the nations as the sovereign ruler, governing all matters of God's law. Thus to judge among the nations means there will be a new dispensation, that Christ's kingdom will go to all, and He will sit as judge or ruler of all nations. Judgment is His rule of law, and rule is judgment. for example, even as the Judges God appointed in the Old Testament God were the rulers. Indeed it was for the purpose of executing this rule or judgment that Christ came. His Judging among the nations is in His establishing the kingdom that goes forth executing rule. And in order to do this, Satan, who rules over the nations, had to be defeated for man's sake.

Jeremiah 23:5-6
  • "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
  • In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."
Executing judgment in the earth is the rule in the Millennial reign of Christ (which is the New Testament Period), not something future or after Christ's second coming. And those who serve Christ are given this judgment in Him.

Revelation 20:3-4
  • "And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
  • And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years."
Along with the coming of this Millennial Kingdom of Christ wherein the nations were enlightened, also came rule or judgment. The rule of God's law and the judgment of the Word. This is not something that is to come in the future, but that has already been accomplished by Christ. Even as Christ Himself explained.

John 12:31
  • "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."
By whom? Judgment by Christ, that Satan's house or kingdom is NOW being spoiled by the onslaught of this kingdom. So strong that the gates of Satan's prison house are not able to prevent Christ's church from being built in those Satan held captive (Hebrews 2:14-15). The nations are being judged among (even as Revelation 20 illustrated) by the advancement of the Kingdom rule. As it was prophesied by God.

Isaiah 42:3-7
  • "bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
  • He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
  • Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
  • I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
  • To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."
Judgment is established in the earth by Christ so that out of the dark prison house of Satan's kingdom comes the spoil! That is the purpose and power of the Gospel! In other words, the gates of Satan's house cannot prevent the Kingdom of Christ from being advanced among the nations or gentiles. This is the Millennial reign and clearly this speaks of Christ. It declares that He is the one that shall bring forth rule or judgment unto truth. What is being illustrated is a new prevalence of Christian principles among the nations or gentiles is established through the Kingdom of Christ. Indeed, it is written of Him:

Matthew 12:18
  • "Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles."
So it is perfectly clear that when God prophesies that he shall judge among the nations (Gentiles), it speaks of this same prophesy. This same establishment of Christ's Kingdom. Christ not only binds Satan that these nations not be deceived, but brings His law to the nations, convincing their consciences by changes their hearts that they are no longer deceived by Satan.

2. Rebuke many People

Too often today's puffed up Christians "full of themselves" look upon Biblical rebuke as an "attack" when it is often simply correction. By God's corrections, rebukes or warnings of judgment He brings the nations all over the world into subjection under His rule. Often how one reacts to this correction depends upon in what spirit they have received it.

Proverbs 9:8
  • "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee."
As God says, "correction is grievous unto him that forsakes the way, and he that hates reproof shall die - Proverbs 15:10" Rebuke or reproof in the Word is how God corrects, and unfortunately too many do not want to hear it. I'm sure most of us have heard professed Christians, having been quoted scripture, say that "..if that is the type of God you serve, I want no part of Him." That's because they don't like what "That God" has to say. They want another god, another Christ and another gospel wherein they can have it their own way. They scoff and even bristle at the rebuke of God. Nevertheless, here and there, there are those elect of the nations, who will respond differently to God's rebukes. The rebuke of nations by God is not to their shame, but to their glory. He rebukes many nations so that they may acknowledge their sins, and turn to him. And to be sure, the election will. And these rebukes by God are often testified to by God's servants.

2nd Timothy 4:2
  • "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."
Indeed, Christ commissioned his apostles, and indeed all God's servants to teach all nations, and this teaching is Christ's rebuke of the world and its glory. A rebuke of ungodliness and unlawfulness that is so lacking in our day. So while most people look at rebuke as a bad thing, sometimes in scripture God uses it as a synonym for convicting someone of truth, or to convince by the word, or to patiently rebuke doctrinal faults. When God said to Peter, "get thee behind me Satan," it was not to attack him, but to correct his beliefs. For God loves whom He rebukes, and we should have that exact same love for our fellow man.

Titus 1:13
  • "This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;"
Titus 2:15
  • "These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee."
Even as God rebukes unto salvation, so the servants of God, themselves made to reign in His kingdom, rebuke, that many might be zealous, repent with zeal and live with Godly enthusiasm.

Revelation 3:19
  • "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent."
As illustrated in Revelation chapter 20, in establishing His Kingdom rule God binds Satan that the nations won't be deceived. And it is then that He rebukes the nations that they might also acknowledge their sins and return to the communion with God man had in the garden of Eden. As many as He loves He rebukes and chastens, just as He did with Israel. His pleasure is that the nations would be zealous and repent that He might have a people from all kindreds and tongues and nations. Even as Christ said so very plainly in His holy word, was what He came to do.

John 16:7-11
  • "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
  • And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
  • Of sin, because they believe not on me;
  • Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
  • Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."
This is saying the exact same thing that Isaiah 2:4 says in Him judging among the nations, and rebuking many people. We just have to have our ears Spiritually tuned to receive what is being said. His rebuke is by His Word and His Spirit, convincing the nations of its sin, repentance and forgiveness.

3. Beat their swords into Plowshares & Spears into Pruninghooks

God prophesies here that the law, the word of God, shall go out from the Holy City, and would judge the nations that these people would change their implements of war into implements of peace. A sword is an instrument used for war, and the plowshare is a type of hoe used for digging, and is an instrument for farming in agriculture.

1st Corinthians 3:7-9
  • "So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
  • Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
  • For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building."
God is equating the people of His kingdom to those with plowshares who plant for the Lord! Just as the Kingdom of God is likened unto a sower who plants seed that it brings forth fruit. This signifies the kingdom of God going forth to the world, as plantings that are cared for and nourished that they might grow. In like manner, a spear is an instrument of war, while a pruninghook is an instrument used for plants. It is a knife-like instrument for pruning plants that they might grow better. Again, this signifying that these people will turn from being at war with God, to being spiritual husbandmen (farmers) working in His garden to care for the fruit of the field. Beating their swords into plowshares means they will abstain from warfare against God and exercise Godly charity (Agape) in well doing to others.

4. Nation Shall Not Lift Up Sword Against Nation

Before we became saved, we were at spiritual war with God, nation against nation, Kingdom against Kingdom, and our instruments of warfare were spiritual. God's kingdom comes by the Spirit of Christ with the sword of the Word of God. And the nation at enmity with it comes by the spirit of Antichrist with the word of Satan. An epic battle between two nations that has been fought since the garden of Eden. Indeed, it is signified in

Genesis 25:23-26
  • "And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.
  • And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
  • And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.
  • And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them."
This signified the two nations that are at war with each other. The nation Jacob, whom God loves because he represents the kingdom of God, and the nation Esau whom God hates because he represents the Kingdom of Satan. These two nations struggle against each other even as Jacob and Esau struggled in the womb. Because they are at enmity with one another.

Matthew 12:24-26
  • "But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
  • And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
  • And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?"
Christ is at enmity with Satan, and his kingdom with Christ's. Two nations as diverse as the two nations struggling within Rebekah. But Christ came to spoil that kingdom, to prevail over its gates, to deliver these people that the nations would not be at enmity, and Satan could not deceive them and prevent him taking them by conquest. i.e., He came with the prophesied establishment of the Kingdom of God to make peace between the nations.

Matthew 12:28-30
  • "But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
  • Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
  • He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad."
In other words, in the coming of the Millennial kingdom of God, Satan had to "FIRST" be bound (Revelation 20) so that he could not deceive the nations any longer or prevent the nations (gentiles) from being spoiled by Christ! That is the act of Christ that caused the nations to put away their swords so that they no longer fight God, but caused them to go into the business of plowing and pruning as Husbandmen for God! That they would be nations that would never again lift up sword against this nation. Two Kingdoms at odds with each other, two nations that cannot normally co-exist together, but when Christ binds Satan that the nations are not deceived, it is all different. He brings peace with the nations, having them join Him in communion.

1st Peter 2:9-10
  • "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
  • Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."
There is the Holy nation that the gentiles do not war with God anymore. THIS is God's Holy nation. The nations (or gentiles) are now coming into this spiritual Holy Nation as Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Ezekiel 37:21-24
  • "And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:
  • And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:
  • Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.
  • And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them."
Not the heathen, but from among the heathen. They have strayed in forsaking God, but they were always the election, chosen unto salvation. The gates of hell cannot hold them when Christ's kingdom comes against those gates. So that never again will nation be at odds with nation when they are reconciled in Christ..

5. Neither Learn War Anymore

In Messiah's Kingdom reign, there shall be war no more. War is the opposite of peace, and is what we are when we are unsaved and at enmity with God. By the same token, when we are translated from the gates of the prison of darkness, into the Kingdom of Christ, our warfare is ended by the Prince of Peace. We are not battling with that nation anymore, we forsake such warfare governed by the Prince of Peace, with God. Even as prophesied.

Isaiah 40:1-3
  • "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
  • Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.
  • The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."
Clearly this spoke of the first advent of Christ, and the spiritual warfare of a nation that has been brought to peace with God, through Christ. This is something that happened long ago, not something to come in the future.

Colossians 1:19-21
  • "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell;
  • And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
  • And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled."
The warfare is accomplished, we have been reconciled to God, brought peace, through Christ. We are comforted (Isaiah 40:1-3) because we have come unto this Holy nation, this holy city, this spiritual Jerusalem that would not learn war against God anymore. And THIS is a holy nation and city made up of Jews and Gentiles, Greeks and Romans, whites and blacks, old and young, males and females, all who have traded in their swords for plowshares. All who substitute enmity against God with ministering in the kingdom of Christ as sowers, planters and builders. Selah!

So Isaiah 2:4 has nothing whatsoever to do with pie in the sky ideas of the world becoming Christianized, or there being physical peace all over the earth because Christ sits on a throne in the Middle East, or the afterlife, etc. No, but it speaks of Christ's first advent, and the imagery is illustrating the establishment of the Millennial Kingdom of peace and safety, of building and planting, of salvation to the nations, through the church! It speaks to the calling of the Gentile nations and the spread of the kingdom all over the earth.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 2 is a controversial chapter that I believe is almost universally misunderstood to mean a future event. Partly because we live in a "instant gratification" society that can't see the forest for the trees.

But the "context" is the last days (which is the whole New Testament period according to scripture) and the establishment of God's kingdom (which was at the time of the cross), and the cessation of warfare (which is also of Christ, the Prince of Peace). The problem (as I see it) is that people continually err in trying to look at prophesy as a physical/literal narrative. Worldly wars to cease, earthly kingdoms and thrones, physical lands, it is usually always the same error. A lack of understanding that scripture interprets scripture and that God speaks in symbolism. We pick up the context from verse 1.

Isaiah 2:1-4
  • "The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
  • And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
  • And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
  • And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
I believe that these passages speaks not of a universal peace on earth in the future, nor in heaven at Christ's second coming, but to the prophesies of Christ's first advent. The last days are the whole New Testament period, the new dispensation of Christ's Kingdom.

Acts 2:16-17
  • "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
  • And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"
The last days encompass the whole New Testament period, and was established in Christ's millennial Kingdom reign, and signified by the sign wonders at Pentecost. That is when the Mountain (kingdom) of the Lord's house was established over all kingdoms, and the nations or Gentiles began to flow into it. This is wherein the King or ruler of this Kingdom brought peace to the whole earth (as opposed to primarily Israel) and established judgment within the nations. This is how He ended their warfare. It is all pointing to the establishment of Christ's millennial kingdom reign, which is now. Not in the future, nor after so-called 7 years tribulation. You may be able to see this a little clearer if we go about it systematically, letting scripture interpret itself. Here is a brief overview.

1. And he shall judge among the nations

To judge among the nations is illustrating that Christ will set up his Kingdom among all nations of the world, that it will no longer be primarily national Israel. Christ judges the nations as the sovereign ruler, governing all matters of God's law. Thus to judge among the nations means there will be a new dispensation, that Christ's kingdom will go to all, and He will sit as judge or ruler of all nations. Judgment is His rule of law, and rule is judgment. for example, even as the Judges God appointed in the Old Testament God were the rulers. Indeed it was for the purpose of executing this rule or judgment that Christ came. His Judging among the nations is in His establishing the kingdom that goes forth executing rule. And in order to do this, Satan, who rules over the nations, had to be defeated for man's sake.

Jeremiah 23:5-6
  • "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
  • In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."
Executing judgment in the earth is the rule in the Millennial reign of Christ (which is the New Testament Period), not something future or after Christ's second coming. And those who serve Christ are given this judgment in Him.

Revelation 20:3-4
  • "And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
  • And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years."
Along with the coming of this Millennial Kingdom of Christ wherein the nations were enlightened, also came rule or judgment. The rule of God's law and the judgment of the Word. This is not something that is to come in the future, but that has already been accomplished by Christ. Even as Christ Himself explained.

John 12:31
  • "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."
By whom? Judgment by Christ, that Satan's house or kingdom is NOW being spoiled by the onslaught of this kingdom. So strong that the gates of Satan's prison house are not able to prevent Christ's church from being built in those Satan held captive (Hebrews 2:14-15). The nations are being judged among (even as Revelation 20 illustrated) by the advancement of the Kingdom rule. As it was prophesied by God.

Isaiah 42:3-7
  • "bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
  • He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
  • Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
  • I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
  • To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."
Judgment is established in the earth by Christ so that out of the dark prison house of Satan's kingdom comes the spoil! That is the purpose and power of the Gospel! In other words, the gates of Satan's house cannot prevent the Kingdom of Christ from being advanced among the nations or gentiles. This is the Millennial reign and clearly this speaks of Christ. It declares that He is the one that shall bring forth rule or judgment unto truth. What is being illustrated is a new prevalence of Christian principles among the nations or gentiles is established through the Kingdom of Christ. Indeed, it is written of Him:

Matthew 12:18
  • "Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles."
So it is perfectly clear that when God prophesies that he shall judge among the nations (Gentiles), it speaks of this same prophesy. This same establishment of Christ's Kingdom. Christ not only binds Satan that these nations not be deceived, but brings His law to the nations, convincing their consciences by changes their hearts that they are no longer deceived by Satan.

2. Rebuke many People

Too often today's puffed up Christians "full of themselves" look upon Biblical rebuke as an "attack" when it is often simply correction. By God's corrections, rebukes or warnings of judgment He brings the nations all over the world into subjection under His rule. Often how one reacts to this correction depends upon in what spirit they have received it.

Proverbs 9:8
  • "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee."
As God says, "correction is grievous unto him that forsakes the way, and he that hates reproof shall die - Proverbs 15:10" Rebuke or reproof in the Word is how God corrects, and unfortunately too many do not want to hear it. I'm sure most of us have heard professed Christians, having been quoted scripture, say that "..if that is the type of God you serve, I want no part of Him." That's because they don't like what "That God" has to say. They want another god, another Christ and another gospel wherein they can have it their own way. They scoff and even bristle at the rebuke of God. Nevertheless, here and there, there are those elect of the nations, who will respond differently to God's rebukes. The rebuke of nations by God is not to their shame, but to their glory. He rebukes many nations so that they may acknowledge their sins, and turn to him. And to be sure, the election will. And these rebukes by God are often testified to by God's servants.

2nd Timothy 4:2
  • "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."
Indeed, Christ commissioned his apostles, and indeed all God's servants to teach all nations, and this teaching is Christ's rebuke of the world and its glory. A rebuke of ungodliness and unlawfulness that is so lacking in our day. So while most people look at rebuke as a bad thing, sometimes in scripture God uses it as a synonym for convicting someone of truth, or to convince by the word, or to patiently rebuke doctrinal faults. When God said to Peter, "get thee behind me Satan," it was not to attack him, but to correct his beliefs. For God loves whom He rebukes, and we should have that exact same love for our fellow man.

Titus 1:13
  • "This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;"
Titus 2:15
  • "These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee."
Even as God rebukes unto salvation, so the servants of God, themselves made to reign in His kingdom, rebuke, that many might be zealous, repent with zeal and live with Godly enthusiasm.

Revelation 3:19
  • "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent."
As illustrated in Revelation chapter 20, in establishing His Kingdom rule God binds Satan that the nations won't be deceived. And it is then that He rebukes the nations that they might also acknowledge their sins and return to the communion with God man had in the garden of Eden. As many as He loves He rebukes and chastens, just as He did with Israel. His pleasure is that the nations would be zealous and repent that He might have a people from all kindreds and tongues and nations. Even as Christ said so very plainly in His holy word, was what He came to do.

John 16:7-11
  • "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
  • And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
  • Of sin, because they believe not on me;
  • Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
  • Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."
This is saying the exact same thing that Isaiah 2:4 says in Him judging among the nations, and rebuking many people. We just have to have our ears Spiritually tuned to receive what is being said. His rebuke is by His Word and His Spirit, convincing the nations of its sin, repentance and forgiveness.

3. Beat their swords into Plowshares & Spears into Pruninghooks

God prophesies here that the law, the word of God, shall go out from the Holy City, and would judge the nations that these people would change their implements of war into implements of peace. A sword is an instrument used for war, and the plowshare is a type of hoe used for digging, and is an instrument for farming in agriculture.

1st Corinthians 3:7-9
  • "So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
  • Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
  • For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building."
God is equating the people of His kingdom to those with plowshares who plant for the Lord! Just as the Kingdom of God is likened unto a sower who plants seed that it brings forth fruit. This signifies the kingdom of God going forth to the world, as plantings that are cared for and nourished that they might grow. In like manner, a spear is an instrument of war, while a pruninghook is an instrument used for plants. It is a knife-like instrument for pruning plants that they might grow better. Again, this signifying that these people will turn from being at war with God, to being spiritual husbandmen (farmers) working in His garden to care for the fruit of the field. Beating their swords into plowshares means they will abstain from warfare against God and exercise Godly charity (Agape) in well doing to others.

4. Nation Shall Not Lift Up Sword Against Nation

Before we became saved, we were at spiritual war with God, nation against nation, Kingdom against Kingdom, and our instruments of warfare were spiritual. God's kingdom comes by the Spirit of Christ with the sword of the Word of God. And the nation at enmity with it comes by the spirit of Antichrist with the word of Satan. An epic battle between two nations that has been fought since the garden of Eden. Indeed, it is signified in

Genesis 25:23-26
  • "And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.
  • And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
  • And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.
  • And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them."
This signified the two nations that are at war with each other. The nation Jacob, whom God loves because he represents the kingdom of God, and the nation Esau whom God hates because he represents the Kingdom of Satan. These two nations struggle against each other even as Jacob and Esau struggled in the womb. Because they are at enmity with one another.

Matthew 12:24-26
  • "But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
  • And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
  • And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?"
Christ is at enmity with Satan, and his kingdom with Christ's. Two nations as diverse as the two nations struggling within Rebekah. But Christ came to spoil that kingdom, to prevail over its gates, to deliver these people that the nations would not be at enmity, and Satan could not deceive them and prevent him taking them by conquest. i.e., He came with the prophesied establishment of the Kingdom of God to make peace between the nations.

Matthew 12:28-30
  • "But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
  • Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
  • He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad."
In other words, in the coming of the Millennial kingdom of God, Satan had to "FIRST" be bound (Revelation 20) so that he could not deceive the nations any longer or prevent the nations (gentiles) from being spoiled by Christ! That is the act of Christ that caused the nations to put away their swords so that they no longer fight God, but caused them to go into the business of plowing and pruning as Husbandmen for God! That they would be nations that would never again lift up sword against this nation. Two Kingdoms at odds with each other, two nations that cannot normally co-exist together, but when Christ binds Satan that the nations are not deceived, it is all different. He brings peace with the nations, having them join Him in communion.

1st Peter 2:9-10
  • "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
  • Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."
There is the Holy nation that the gentiles do not war with God anymore. THIS is God's Holy nation. The nations (or gentiles) are now coming into this spiritual Holy Nation as Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Ezekiel 37:21-24
  • "And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:
  • And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:
  • Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.
  • And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them."
Not the heathen, but from among the heathen. They have strayed in forsaking God, but they were always the election, chosen unto salvation. The gates of hell cannot hold them when Christ's kingdom comes against those gates. So that never again will nation be at odds with nation when they are reconciled in Christ..

5. Neither Learn War Anymore

In Messiah's Kingdom reign, there shall be war no more. War is the opposite of peace, and is what we are when we are unsaved and at enmity with God. By the same token, when we are translated from the gates of the prison of darkness, into the Kingdom of Christ, our warfare is ended by the Prince of Peace. We are not battling with that nation anymore, we forsake such warfare governed by the Prince of Peace, with God. Even as prophesied.

Isaiah 40:1-3
  • "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
  • Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.
  • The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."
Clearly this spoke of the first advent of Christ, and the spiritual warfare of a nation that has been brought to peace with God, through Christ. This is something that happened long ago, not something to come in the future.

Colossians 1:19-21
  • "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell;
  • And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
  • And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled."
The warfare is accomplished, we have been reconciled to God, brought peace, through Christ. We are comforted (Isaiah 40:1-3) because we have come unto this Holy nation, this holy city, this spiritual Jerusalem that would not learn war against God anymore. And THIS is a holy nation and city made up of Jews and Gentiles, Greeks and Romans, whites and blacks, old and young, males and females, all who have traded in their swords for plowshares. All who substitute enmity against God with ministering in the kingdom of Christ as sowers, planters and builders. Selah!

So Isaiah 2:4 has nothing whatsoever to do with pie in the sky ideas of the world becoming Christianized, or there being physical peace all over the earth because Christ sits on a throne in the Middle East, or the afterlife, etc. No, but it speaks of Christ's first advent, and the imagery is illustrating the establishment of the Millennial Kingdom of peace and safety, of building and planting, of salvation to the nations, through the church! It speaks to the calling of the Gentile nations and the spread of the kingdom all over the earth.
It is happening in America and the United Kingdom now with the astronomical rise in murders, abortions, armed robberies, homosexuality, terrorist attacks, greed, prostitution, corruption in government agencies, school shootings - to the point where parents are consumed with fear that it might be their child's school that will get it next, and that people can no longer walk down their main street at night for fear of being mugged, robbed, or murdered. People's hearts are failing them for fear because they are wondering when and where the next terrorist attack is going to take place.

These a signs that the judgment of God as shown in the OP is upon us now. Unless our nations turn to Christ, the day of tribulation will be upon us like a thief in the night. One day we will be saying, "Peace, peace", and the next our nations will be plunged into anarchy, confusion, crime, and chaos. It will make 9/11 seem like a Sunday School picnic!

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟414,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
These a signs that the judgment of God as shown in the OP is upon us now. Unless our nations turn to Christ, the day of tribulation will be upon us like a thief in the night. One day we will be saying, "Peace, peace", and the next our nations will be plunged into anarchy, confusion, crime, and chaos. It will make 9/11 seem like a Sunday School picnic!

Well, the great tribulation will not come because the nations has turned away from Christ. This has nothing to do with political nations. It has everything to do with God's congregation, the New Testament Congregation of Israel, the church. The great tribulation FOR THE ELECT will not occur until AFTER whole house of Israel has been sealed, the fullness of the Gentiles be coming in, the testimony of the two witnesses for the purpose of salvation is finished, until every single elect on earth that God intent to be sealed, has been sealed, and the day has come when no man can work. That is when the apostasy and desolation will take place within the congregation of God. The increasing turmoils in the world, as you described above, is the RESULT of the falling away from faith in the congregation. The true sign of Christ's return will have nothing to do with national Israel or physical wars, but rather the desolate of the unfaithful congregation (Babylon the Great). That is why she is a mystery to many because they will deny this have to do anything with the church but are looking for signs in the wrong place.

Upvote 0