• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Switched Phones. Feel Lonelier Than Ever

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, about a week ago I downgraded from an iPhone smartphone to a basic phone T9 keyboard and all! It drastically improved my mental health almost instantaneously. I feel lonelier than ever though. It's worth noting that I quit social media completely years ago as well.

The dilemma is no one calls, texts me I've actually lost very close friends last year because I just got feed up that every time we spent time together they had to post what we do on social media, do live videos or just in general the constant scrolling on a phone when doing anything together! :sigh:

I've also recently lost friends who just refuse to call or want to talk on the phone or visit. Seems to always be some excuse. All I really want is to have quality and intimate honest relationships. This is really bothering me though. Anyone dealt with something similar?

+ wanted to add. I have tons of hobbies as well. So its not like I just wait around for people to talk to every second of the day. I play multiple instruments. Drums, bass guitar, lead guitar. I read, Nintendo switch I play games on sometimes. Watch my animated sitcoms. Listen to music. And I'm comfortable in my own presence, my own best friend.

Last edited:

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
So, about a week ago I downgraded from an iPhone smartphone to a basic phone T9 keyboard and all! It drastically improved my mental health almost instantaneously. I feel lonelier than ever though. It's worth noting that I quit social media completely years ago as well.

The dilemma is no one calls, texts me I've actually lost very close friends last year because I just got feed up that every time we spent time together they had to post what we do on social media, do live videos or just in general the constant scrolling on a phone when doing anything together! :sigh:

I've also recently lost friends who just refuse to call or want to talk on the phone or visit. Seems to always be some excuse. All I really want is to have quality and intimate honest relationships. This is really bothering me though. Anyone dealt with something similar?

+ wanted to add. I have tons of hobbies as well. So its not like I just wait around for people to talk to every second of the day. I play multiple instruments. Drums, bass guitar, lead guitar. I read, Nintendo switch I play games on sometimes. Watch my animated sitcoms. Listen to music. And I'm comfortable in my own presence, my own best friend.
It could be just the pandemic but people are very to themselves, I've found that I can socialize mostly through the internet, I play video games with people and chat via discord, so I would say finding a way to socialize electronically like discord you can access on your laptop and there are discords for all kinds of topics ie christianity and video games and hobbies and youtube channels. I've done the cold turkey thing before but it can be tough you can do it tho :)

Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It could be just the pandemic but people are very to themselves, I've found that I can socialize mostly through the internet, I play video games with people and chat via discord, so I would say finding a way to socialize electronically like discord you can access on your laptop and there are discords for all kinds of topics ie christianity and video games and hobbies and youtube channels. I've done the cold turkey thing before but it can be tough you can do it tho :)

I guess more so the issue is I don't want to communicate through the internet constantly with everyone. This was also an issue before the pandemic though.

I also have a discord and a friend ill game/talk with maybe every couple months. I'm not really interested in gaming much anymore, could just be because of aging. When I do game its primarily solo.

I've even used to twitch stream, play with other streamers. And also do like an old school ham radio app where you just talk to random people. All of it doesn't provide that connection of face to face.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I guess more so the issue is I don't want to communicate through the internet constantly with everyone. This was also an issue before the pandemic though.

I also have a discord and a friend ill game/talk with maybe every couple months. I'm not really interested in gaming much anymore, could just be because of aging. When I do game its primarily solo.

I've even used to twitch stream, play with other streamers. And also do like an old school ham radio app where you just talk to random people. All of it doesn't provide that connection of face to face.
I hear you, but asking for face to face contact during the pandemic is difficult, but pray about it maybe Jesus will send people in your life, maybe volunteering somewhere will force people to interact with and be around you and you may meet people that way.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No haven't been to a church in years.
It is the most likely reason why you feel so lonely.
(Godly companions are not just going to spring up in your basement...)

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Very unhelpful and rude comment.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a satisfying career, @EnterLight? Job satisfaction can do wonders for most people and curtail internet usage at the same time.

Other than that, congratulations for slaying the monster of social media (or at least wounding her.)

See you in the real world! :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
@EnterLight
Can’t blame you for cutting ties with social media. I’ve tried to but I have fam across the oceans so keeping in touch through some social media is almost necessary (at least it feels that way).
Pandemic and the obsession of posting every move for strangers to watch has made life impossible to manage. The norm has totally change drastically.

I feel it as well- the lack of human communication...person to person. I prefer face to face conversations etc.
don’t think you’ve caused this. :)

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've been going to church all my life, even when the rest of my family stopped. I still deal with lots of loneliness because the people in church generally only get involved in surface-level relationships. I get it, they have their own stuff to deal with, but I'm just saying, going to church doesn't mean you'll find friends. Especially if you're a young adult; most churches I go to are all middle-aged to old people and little kids. Very few people even slightly within my own age range.

Also, I know Godly companions won't spring up from the basement. The last few people I discovered living down there were atheists.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Alistair_Wonderland, even if you stay at that church, others may have singles' groups during the week...

Connecting with likeminded believers in a small group is best if friendship is the desired outcome. There’s more turnover with singles and the likelihood of continuance when partnered (as the relationship grows in seriousness) is slim to none.

Upvote 0