• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sweeping investigation of Southern Baptists churches reveals 700 sex abuse victims in the last 20...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+19,644
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    • Prayers Prayers x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,405
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    The report on public schools awhile ago was also bad.

The thing to do is no matter what church or organization is keep shining the light at the monsters.

One of the new trainings I just took focused on abuse of younger children by older children and was just disturbing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+154
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. StevenMerten

StevenMerten I Love You, God!

+400
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree. We must keep the public view, heat on. The present abuse of children for forced child slavery in the United States is horrible. Forcing children eight or ten years old to work one hundred hours a week, seven days a week, in America, is atrocious! Yet exploiting children for cheap labor, does not gain the spot light of our nation, as necessarily being a bad thing. How can this not be a bad thing! Many see forced child slavery as innocent, while we now accept sexual child abuse as a horrible crime. All child abuse is horrible, and exposing it, to change the minds and heart of the nation, is a good thing.

5. JacobKStarkey

JacobKStarkey Active Member

+227
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Indeed, the law must crack down on any church and any clergy harming children.

6. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+10,162
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Correction

the law must crack down on ANYONE harming children

7. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,405
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Very important...since the numbers in the US public school system dwarfs churches. Anyone harming children must be called to account.

8. JacobKStarkey

+227
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Of course, and no one should be able to prey in any school or church or scout troupe or whatever

9. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+19,644
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  10. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+4,946
    Christian
    Awful

11. Romans 13:3

Romans 13:3 Newbie

+266
    Catholic
    I think it is important to mention that most of the problems in our Church had to do with same sex attraction and not pedophillia, per se. From what I have read on the issues in the Baptist Church, much of their problems, not all, seem to deal with opposite sex encounters.

12. JacobKStarkey

+227
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    All American religions seem to have their own issues, as shown by the Baptists and Catholics.

The LDS church has had to deal with polygyny attraction and same sex abhorrence.

13. Beloved2018

Beloved2018 Raised LCMS; Now A Struggling Catholic Supporter

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Are we dealing with new phenomena that our contemporary socities have created or are we just now becoming self aware? In other words, did Edwardian America or Europe suffer with these same issues to this same extent?

14. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,442
    Catholic
    Single
    If only they allowed Baptist Pastors to get married this never would have happened!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,442
    Catholic
    Single
    People having sex with people they are not supposed to is a problem as old as time

I would guess it is a greater problem now, also people used to get lynched for messing with kids, so that probably helped as a deter people

16. Beloved2018

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    So you think people 150, 200 yrs ago were just as prone toward homosexuality and pedophilia as they are today and that it was the fear of punishment essentially that kept them from acting on their impulses?

17. JacobKStarkey

+227
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Yea, Beloved2018, fear of punishment as well as far less opportunity in a society that sat on top of each other and knew each other's business.

People have always been corrupt and obsessed and possessed.

18. Beloved2018

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    This doesn't seem to logically follow. If fear of punishment was the driving force, from whence did the recognition of just laws and their corresponding punishments arise? A corrupt bunch of people cannot enforce justice.

19. JacobKStarkey

+227
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Do not mistake that I said all people are corrupt, for I did not. It logically follows that enough people are, though, that just laws and punishments develops from one's inability to resist personal corruption, obsession, and possession. It may not deter the act, but the perp is put away or killed judicially.

20. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,814
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    You raise an excellent question and not an easy one to answer. I would say that the sexual abuse problem has always existed, but was just covered up by all churches. Having said that, I do believe that there is something in our modern society which has probably made the problem worse. I am not sure what factors may be making it more prevalent now than in years past, assuming that my thesis is correct. I suppose one large factor may be what I often say on C.F., namely, that people do not fear God much anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List