ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, I admit, in certain circumstances I really want to swear so to get around to it and please excuse me, I hope God will excuse me for this, if He doesn't like it then I really should learn this now. to get around to it, I once said in the past from giving in to swearing to not saying it directly but saying, 'I feel like saying shutthefuckup' for example so I was saying that I'm not saying that but I feel like saying that, but what does God think about that? is it ok to say 'you feel like saying... ' and then tell them the swear word, or is it ok to just say 'I feel like swearing' or 'I feel like swearing at you right now but I'm a Christian'. What's the right answer, thanks a lot

Last edited:

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, I admit, in certain circumstances I really want to swear so to get around to it and please excuse me, I hope God will excuse me for this, if He doesn't like it then I really need to learn this now. to get around to it, I once said in the past from giving in to swearing to not saying it directly but saying, 'I feel like saying shutthefuckup' for example so I was saying that I'm not saying that but I feel like saying that, but what does God think about that? is it ok to say 'you feel like saying... ' and then tell them the swear word, or is it ok to just say 'I feel like swearing' or 'I feel like swearing at you right now but I'm a Christian'. What's the right answer, thanks a lot
I came to the conclusion that even though my body is not eternal, my soul is and I am a being that will live forever. I also understood that the same Spirit that resurrected Jesus lives in me and that I am a reflection of the Messiah just as the Lord is a reflection of the Father, so if is not in their minds, hearts and mouths I don't want it in mine. I used to swear, but I just changed my vocabulary to whatever I'd say in front of the Lord.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK, I admit, in certain circumstances I really want to swear so to get around to it and please excuse me, I hope God will excuse me for this, if He doesn't like it then I really need to learn this now. to get around to it, I once said in the past from giving in to swearing to not saying it directly but saying, 'I feel like saying shutthefuckup' for example so I was saying that I'm not saying that but I feel like saying that, but what does God think about that? is it ok to say 'you feel like saying... ' and then tell them the swear word, or is it ok to just say 'I feel like swearing' or 'I feel like swearing at you right now but I'm a Christian'. What's the right answer, thanks a lot

He knows your thoughts.

Perhaps say nothing and just walk away.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's better overall to find a less crass way to express the same point. Make that a new habit. Challenge yourself to elevate your speech. Since I have to talk to people in a professional manner, I had to do that. Put in the time and the dedication to doing that, and you'll find yourself much more naturally expressing your thoughts in a cleaner way.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it is ok to work on a vocabulary that accurately expresses your feelings without resorting to lazy speech.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Swearing is lack of controll that's all
It's not breaking "Do not take thy God's name in vain " commandment it has nothing to do about it
But u should controll yourself
My swearing dropped drastically when I got saved
I also couldn't stand most people swearing every world so I got rid of some fake friends who would do that most of time

Also being angry is not bad thing , this common belief that Christian should be like monk is wrong.

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I got myself to stop swearing now I just need to get myself to stop saying friggin all the time. I say things like ahh that stupid friggin cat or my friggin boss... Stopping myself from saying this has been harder than stopping myself from swearing.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OK, I admit, in certain circumstances I really want to swear so to get around to it and please excuse me, I hope God will excuse me for this, aring' or 'I feel like swearing at you right now but I'm a Christian'. What's the right answer, thanks a lot

Eph 4:29 29 Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but if there is any good word for edification according to the need of the moment, say that, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

It does not matter the excuse used for such an "unwholesome" word coming out -- in either case it does not bless you or the one who hears you.

When tempted to say something bad think this phrase to yourself a couple of times -- along with praying of course. -- "Jesus is my King - and Satan is a liar".

So as often as you are tempted ... then circle back to that inner thought.

and of course

Coarse talk isn’t mannerly or edifying. It is easier to set aside when you minimize your exposure to others who speak that way. That includes people, movies, music, etc.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

that.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, I admit, in certain circumstances I really want to swear ..., but what does God think about that?...

I believe it depends on why you want to do so. Do you think you have good reason for it? Do you think it makes things better? If not, then I think it would be better to stop doing so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biblical swearing and what we consider swearing or using swear words are not the same thing at all. Biblical swearing is basically taking an oath to either do something or to refrain from doing it. Even though Jesus advised against doing it at all, only breaking that oath is considered sinful. Nonetheless, name calling, using language meant to shock or hurt others in some way does not conform to the idea that we are to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eph 4:29 29 Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but if there is any good word for edification according to the need of the moment, say that, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
I like this scripture, it is useful to know exactly where it is. it was under a rare circumstance that I said that, I felt it was very simple but on the other hand, it is also a learned thing rather than being graceful and expressing yourself nicely to other people who would listen to you. I also felt an impression that God said to me, and had said this before, "you don't need to swear, I will take care of it". Thanks everyone. it is nice to be around people who have the grace of God.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it depends on why you want to do so. Do you think you have good reason for it? Do you think it makes things better? If not, then I think it would be better to stop doing so.
in God's eyes there's no reason to in my understanding. I did what I said I did I think it was a last resort using coarse language in return for my anger and a simple expression of what I would like but I should've left it to God.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
in God's eyes there's no reason to in my understanding. I did what I said I did I think it was a last resort using coarse language in return for my anger and a simple expression of what I would like but I should've left it to God.

Ok, in any case, I think it can be forgiven. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums