Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I very greatly object to hearing our precious Lord Jesus Christ's name being used as a swear word. It makes me so angry!
Why is Jesus and God's name used like this? I mean most swearwords are absurd anyway, all about various functions of the body, some anatomically impossible.

I do not use bad language and I do not tolerate it. I refuse to watch films where the dialogue is limited to just swearing and also comedians who seem to think the F word is hilarious a d so apparently does the audience, judging by their hysterical response to it all. What rubbish!

Above all, I cannot bear Jesus name being trashed . It hurts me, breaks my heart.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it stems from calling upon the Name, in desperation.
This desperation can also be anger.
"O Lord Jesus Christ, please make this stop!" means about the same as someone 'cussing' "Jesus Christ!" when things go wrong.
The difference would be the anger that's involved and probably a lack of faith.
But anyhow, it 'evolved' into swearing.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, i think it sure is using the Name the wrong way when you get angry when you fail at something and you angrily say "Jesus Christ!"
I have been doing that for most of my life, and it's very often still a 'gut reaction' to swear like "God damn it!" and aforementioned "Jesus Christ!", along with a number of typical Dutch (the Hague city in particular) swearing words.
I'm really terrible with that...

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why is Jesus and God's name used like this?
It's interesting that they, even in their ignorance and error, intuitively know there is power in the name of the Lord. Seldom do you hear the names of other gods being used this way, except in jest to sound cute or clever. But with the Lord, it not cuteness or cleverness, it's an appeal to power, and the way the Name is used, one way or the other, reflects on the relationship of the speaker to that power.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point, Paul1149.
I think i can't disagree that it does say something about my relationship, or lack thereof, with Jesus / God.
I think i'm a frustrated Christian, with too many questions and problems with the distance between Him and me.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, i think it sure is using the Name the wrong way when you get angry when you fail at something and you angrily say "Jesus Christ!"
I have been doing that for most of my life, and it's very often still a 'gut reaction' to swear like "God damn it!" and aforementioned "Jesus Christ!", along with a number of typical Dutch (the Hague city in particular) swearing words.
I'm really terrible with that...
My dad had all kinds of French slang that he used that seemed to stem from Catholic upbringing by the wordage that he used. I'm not saying that is common to that upbringing but just something that I had observed.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point, Paul1149.
I think i can't disagree that it does say something about my relationship, or lack thereof, with Jesus / God.
I think i'm a frustrated Christian, with too many questions and problems with the distance between Him and me.

One of the most surprising things is read through an account of what He said, one of the gospels, because He says so many things we did not hear before in churches, and they are more amazing and encouraging than anything we have imagined from 2nd hand excerpts.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Good point, Paul1149.
What do you think about using our saviors name in that way? What do you think about how the Father feels about that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many of us struggle with being fully reconciled to God, or at least should be doing so. The flesh needs to be put down at times, as on its own it does not want to cooperate (Tit 2.11-14). The good news is that we have authority over it, and if we keep at it will see the victory (Rom 6.14).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I very greatly object to hearing our precious Lord Jesus Christ's name being used as a swear word. It makes me so angry!
Why is Jesus and God's name used like this? I mean most swearwords are absurd anyway, all about various functions of the body, some anatomically impossible.I do not use bad language and I do not tolerate it. I refuse to watch films where the dialogue is limited to just swearing and also comedians who seem to think the F word is hilarious a d so apparently does the audience, judging by their hysterical response to it all. What rubbish!Above all, I cannot bear Jesus name being trashed . It hurts me, breaks my heart.

Unfortunately, swearing and cursing has benefits for
the human biology that insure they will always be around.

Testing shows that people can curse and swear
and they report lower pain levels if they do.
Dang it all.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, I most certainly am not perfect. I am guilty of sometimes saying 'oh God!'. I then apologize with a quick prayer as I do not wish to take the Lord's name in vain or insult Him.
But when I might see a film or programs where Jesus's name is being used appallingly, I feel angry and insulted on behalf of Him. I know I may be oversensitive but it's how I have become.

My partner is not yet a full believer, he's a typical bloke of this day and age.Background of never really thinking about such things. He was amazed at first but now knows I won't watch films with bad language. He's never sworn in my presence, and is learning that I have standards. He has adapted. Surely we as Christians must set our high standards and defend the name of our Lord? It's about respect all round, for ourselves and others.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think about using our saviors name in that way? What do you think about how the Father feels about that?
I think it's horrible.
It has brought me to tears a few times actually..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I am glad people are honest about swearing and using Jesus name. It's often done without thought but we can Change, ask forgiveness and thus stop it.
Why don't we use Mohammed's name that way?
Buddah?
Krishnah?

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Why is Jesus and God's name used like this? I mean most swearwords are absurd anyway, all about various functions of the body, some anatomically impossible.

I do not use bad language and I do not tolerate it. I refuse to watch films where the dialogue is limited to just swearing and also comedians who seem to think the F word is hilarious a d so apparently does the audience, judging by their hysterical response to it all. What rubbish!

Above all, I cannot bear Jesus name being trashed . It hurts me, breaks my heart.
I can tolerate swearing, as I guess I'm used to it (not that its right), but I never can get used to Jesus's name used in blasphemy.

I don't enjoy films where swearing is used for its own sake, and particularly dislike TV audiences that somehow think its funny.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why don't we use Mohammed's name that way?
Buddah?
Krishnah?

My daughter once spilled her purse and said the name of an Islamic sect as a curse word. I won't type it out here because it's a little too close in sound and spelling to the word it was meant to replace, but I found it very funny and clever.

Upvote 0