Suspects Arrested After Church Youth Raped, Beaten, Robbed While Camping in Mexico

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Suspects assumed to be gang members were arrested for the beating, robbing and raping of members of a church youth group attacked while camping in Mexico City last week.

The rest of the story may be read at,

Suspects Arrested After Church Youth Raped, Beaten, Robbed While Camping in Mexico

Church groups persist in sending their young people to Mexico. This one group was supposedly on a retreat. Sending the young people to Mexico is akin to telling them to go and play on the autobahn.

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While I agree this particular area of Mexico may have been an unwise choice for a church group to enter, literally thousands of church youth groups go to Mexico every year to build churches, run Vacation Bible Schools and generally minister to their fellow youthful believers, without incident. Not all of Mexico is the dangerous drug war battlefield we have come to think of it as from news media reports. Youth pastors and their church superiors should be diligent, prayerful and use common sense in choosing a mission field. But should we stop ministering all together because there are pockets of violence in Mexico? I think that would be abandoning our responsibility as Christians.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While I agree this particular area of Mexico may have been an unwise choice for a church group to enter, literally thousands of church youth groups go to Mexico every year to build churches, run Vacation Bible Schools and generally minister to their fellow youthful believers, without incident. Not all of Mexico is the dangerous drug war battlefield we have come to think of it as from news media reports. Youth pastors and their church superiors should be diligent, prayerful and use common sense in choosing a mission field. But should we stop ministering all together because there are pockets of violence in Mexico? I think that would be abandoning our responsibility as Christians.

Then let the adults go and protect our young people. We are not Palestinians who send their young out to throw rocks at the Israelis to make martyrs.

Even Mexico City isn't safe. Here is a statement from one source,

"Drug gangs operate on the outskirts of Mexico City, but campers and hikers have also been targeted in the past by common criminals."

Gunmen attack church camp-out in Mexico, rape 7 – USATODAY.com

Americans should know by now that Mexico is virtually in a civil war. If we persist in not recognizing what is on our borders, we are not facing reality.

Upvote 0

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Americans should know by now that Mexico is virtually in a civil war. If we persist in not recognizing what is on our borders, we are not facing reality.

I live in El Paso Texas, Juarez is are sister city across the river. In the past few years it has gained the name murder captial of the world. The Gang activity and general Crime is high in Mexico in all parts. I have friends that are Missionaries to Mexico.

Their are Times they have to come out because of the violence. It does not surprise me that this happen they are at war with the Drugs Cartels and general criminals, in the Mexico today is not the Mexico that was once a sleepy laid back place, it has become a war zone. Travel advisories by the US State department has warned people about Travel to Mexico.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I live in El Paso Texas, Juarez is are sister city across the river. In the past few years it has gained the name murder captial of the world. The Gang activity and general Crime is high in Mexico in all parts. I have friends that are Missionaries to Mexico.

Their are Times they have to come out because of the violence. It does not surprise me that this happen they are at war with the Drugs Cartels and general criminals, in the Mexico today is not the Mexico that was once a sleepy laid back place, it has become a war zone. Travel advisories by the US State department has warned people about Travel to Mexico.

As you said, Mexico just isn't the same place it once was. It isn't safe for foreigners to be there, much less for the Mexicans themselves. I wouldn't go there myself.

I've spent 11 years or so in foreign countries and normally enjoyed myself. The only culture shock that I experienced was coming back from an overseas assignment and seeing the changes in the States. I really couldn't wait to get back overseas.

I walked around by myself in Saigon during the war and enjoyed looking around. But, Mexico is a completely different place from even Vietnam.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ive been working closely with Mexicans for over 15 years and am currently the only gabacho in my department...it is not uncommon to hear how they are even hesitant to go back to visit family because of the violence there.

Stories about beheadings in Mexico are common. Americans and Canadians are especially fair game. I understand that ransomings are fairly common.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Suspects assumed to be gang members were arrested for the beating, robbing and raping of members of a church youth group attacked while camping in Mexico City last week.

The rest of the story may be read at,

Church groups persist in sending their young people to Mexico. This one group was supposedly on a retreat. Sending the young people to Mexico is akin to telling them to go and play on the autobahn.
I would say this area should be off limits to our youth.

Upvote 0

JuJube

Dec 27, 2006
Corpus Christi Texas
✟16,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My heart aches when I read these stories. I've been doing missions in Mexico for sometime and even before I became a christian I lived there for 2 years. I felt so blessed that the Lord sent me back to a place that I really fell in love with and it's people.
All the missionaries and pilots we were affliated with that flew us up into the mountain regions around Durango, have all been pulled out. The last time we flew over some of the remote areas there, there were poppy fields all over the mountains in patches here and there. Im affraid those people see that as the only way to survive there now.

Upvote 0