Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
interesting that they did not mention two additional factors for Catholics in particular, regarding the decision to cohabit.
1. the time that it takes to get an annulment from a previous marriage.
2. the compromise decision to endure a Josephite marriage that exists between couples who are awaiting permission to be married in the church.

If the researchers had added in those figures, chances are that the approval rate of Catholics regarding cohabitation would have gone up.

Upvote 0

epostle

Oct 29, 2019
Hamilton
✟25,391.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Nearly three quarters of Catholics in the United States are not opposed to couples cohabiting before marriage, despite the Church's moral teaching.

Continued below.
Survey says: Most Catholics in US reject Church teaching on cohabitation
Pew surveys are never done on practicing Catholics attending Mass. They include ethnical Catholics or Catholic by inertia. Co-habitating Catholic couples cannot receive the sacraments. The Pew survey is meaningless.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Nearly three quarters of Catholics in the United States are not opposed to couples cohabiting before marriage, despite the Church's moral teaching.

Continued below.
Survey says: Most Catholics in US reject Church teaching on cohabitation
Are we going to have a study soon to tell us most Catholics reject Humanae Vitae? That most Catholics don't ever read a Bible? That most Catholics never darken the door of a church? What surprises are in store for us next?

How about a study that says those who attend adoration weekly actually believe what the Church taught us? Or that daily mass attendees are different than most Catholics in multiple ways? Or that those who go to confession more than once a year, I donno, have better sex?

What did Chesterton say? Christianity has not been tried and found hard. It has hardly been tried.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Did anyone actually read the article? Cardinal Sean O'Malley seems sin seems to give credence to it.
Oh, I believe the numbers. Not even a surprise. It's that cynical funk I'm in that makes it look like the Catholic Church has just fallen off the edge of the world, and this is just one more bit of evidence we are in free fall. I think I should go for a long walk.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟401,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I believe the numbers. Not even a surprise. It's that cynical funk I'm in that makes it look like the Catholic Church has just fallen off the edge of the world, and this is just one more bit of evidence we are in free fall. I think I should go for a long walk.

I hear you all the way! I watch people living in sin receive communion. We are in a small town so it's not like the priest had no clue.

Most of our clergy don't have the strength. And then they defer to the bishop that is just like them.

I have literally given up arguing with clergy. They want to keep telling everyone all is good. You are right, the Church is in free fall. In our area half the priests are imported. If we didn't have that, half the parishes would close. But it's a total band aid. Some of them imported priests are good, but they can't own it like the local home grown clergy, they know they'll be moved in a few years, and if they make trouble probably sooner.

The Church is largely built on the concept of follow your priest, who follows the bishop.

What do we do when following them does not get it done?

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I hear you all the way!
While I do not disagree with you, I'm talking more about the horrid daily items out of the Vatican as the evidence of the free fall. For example, today we hear from pope Francis that any criticism of the Pachamama Synod is simply racism. What tomorrow? Something probably worse.

What you noted, yup, that contributes to the shallowness of the faith of many. So when tough times come, like we have now, they don't know they are supposed to be prayer warriors, and they have heard mostly pablum in homilies so they know little to nothing of their faith.

When the Day of the Lord comes will these people have stopped persevering at the first challenge? I'm tempted to hang it up myself. The Lord said that there would only be a remnant when He comes again. Right now I want to be in that remnant.

I have a theory, hopefully not too outlandish. That among all of the varieties of Christians there will be a remnant, and we will all assemble as a remnant of combined remnants, finally coming together as the folks who want to be Christians together after the other folks, who gain by division, slide into apostasy. A smaller Church, one that is eager for the Lord. We're not there now, with our favored divisions. Maybe it comes together quickly inn the last days, a Church the Lord will take with Him.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you!
I've been learning a whole lot about perseverance these last few years, and I have been taking a closer look at the lives of Joseph and Mary, and how they each dealt with having to persevere against the hardships that they met with.

Somehow it seems to me that for hundreds of years people were looking for the coming of the Messiah, but they didn't stop to think about the nitty gritty of everyday life, and just how everything would have to fall into place from so many different and various directions, in order to accomplish that miracle.

They didn't even stop to realize just how many individual lives would be directed by God in such a way that everyone wound up in exactly the place that they needed to be, and at the exact time when they needed to be there, in order for everything to happen as it was decreed.

You know what? In all the happenings of Christmas, we just don't stop to recognize how great a stage director God really is!

And once you've gotten over the majesty of such a happening, then focus on how many other things have to happen for Jesus Christ to return to Earth! And watch how the passing of Time speeds up, the closer we get to Christ's Return!

These days we need a heavenly scorecard to keep up with what comes next.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And once you've gotten over the majesty of such a happening, then focus on how many other things have to happen for Jesus Christ to return to Earth! And watch how the passing of Time speeds up, the closer we get to Christ's Return!
I think time has sped up quite a bit and is speeding up even more. Part of me says that every prediction of the return of the Lord has been wrong so far, so if I were to predict it I would probably be wrong too. But part of me thinks we have seen the abomination of desolation with Pachamama in the Vatican. But what do I know.
These days we need a heavenly scorecard to keep up with what comes next.
So so true. I can't even imagine what crazy thing is to be reported on tomorrow.

I have two predominant prayers right now. One is from pope John XXIII, "It's your Church, Lord. I'm going to bed" and "Maranatha; Come Lord Jesus".

• Agree
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's a travesty. Hopefully trad millennials can reverse that trend. Lead by example!
Is John Paul II's 'Theology of the Body' passe now that pope Francis reorganized the JPII Institute? It supplied solid reason not to co-habitate.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is John Paul II's 'Theology of the Body' passe now that pope Francis reorganized the JPII Institute? It supplied solid reason not to co-habitate.
Excellent point!

Not to put too fine a point on your argument, but your comment reminds me of what every cook knows; it's impossible to make an edible apple pie if you are using rotten fruit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟401,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I do not disagree with you, I'm talking more about the horrid daily items out of the Vatican as the evidence of the free fall. For example, today we hear from pope Francis that any criticism of the Pachamama Synod is simply racism. What tomorrow? Something probably worse.

What you noted, yup, that contributes to the shallowness of the faith of many. So when tough times come, like we have now, they don't know they are supposed to be prayer warriors, and they have heard mostly pablum in homilies so they know little to nothing of their faith.

When the Day of the Lord comes will these people have stopped persevering at the first challenge? I'm tempted to hang it up myself. The Lord said that there would only be a remnant when He comes again. Right now I want to be in that remnant.

I have a theory, hopefully not too outlandish. That among all of the varieties of Christians there will be a remnant, and we will all assemble as a remnant of combined remnants, finally coming together as the folks who want to be Christians together after the other folks, who gain by division, slide into apostasy. A smaller Church, one that is eager for the Lord. We're not there now, with our favored divisions. Maybe it comes together quickly inn the last days, a Church the Lord will take with Him.[/QUOTEI

I think you are pretty spot on Chevy. The Vatican is on full tilt modernism mode, steam rolling orthodoxy and conservativism left and right.

I also agree about the Remnants. It will not be only RCC, or only Orthodox. The institutions are full of weeds among the wheat - full. In each there are a very select few that walk the walk - they will find each other out of necessity.

I am already experiencing this. I have very little in common with the vast majority of Catholics in my area. But there is a Lutheran and a Baptist I know - I love to hand with those guys.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Nah I hear it talked about all the time, and I think there are at least quite a few young Catholics at my parish who live by the wisdom in it. In fact my priest talked to me about it a few weeks ago in Confession. That and something Paul VI said about the sacredness of the womb.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I also agree about the Remnants. It will not be only RCC, or only Orthodox. The institutions are full of weeds among the wheat - full. In each there are a very select few that walk the walk - they will find each other out of necessity.

I am already experiencing this. I have very little in common with the vast majority of Catholics in my area. But there is a Lutheran and a Baptist I know - I love to hand with those guys.
We already have more similarities with believing Baptists and Lutherans.

I do have a lot in common with several Catholics in my parish, those who have an hour of adoration in our chapel, those I have shared a marriage preparation ministry with, those who carpooled their children to the same distant highly orthodox Catholic school, those who were involved with Familia study groups, the folks in the Watchman men's group. These are people who are believers, people who pray. These are my local remnant, and it's actually a rather big one. But then I expect remnants from the Baptists and Lutherans and evangelicals will come together with remnants of the Orthodox and Catholics before the Day of the Lord. It's what I'm praying for now. Not some grand ecumenism, but a little thing that will please the Lord because it will be His work among us all. I pray that's not too much to ask for, and that you and I can be in that remnant.

Upvote 0