Grand Cayman
✟9,155.00
Country
Cayman Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your greatest problem with Religion?

Why would it make a difference in your life to get a good answer for this problem or find a solution for your need? (Details, please.)

How difficult has it been for you to find a good answer for the above to date?

A. Not at all difficult

B. Somewhat difficult

C. Very difficult

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have a problem with religion. I'm a Christian.

Now, there are people who say "I'm not religious, I have a relationship with Jesus." Well, I have a relationship with Jesus too, I did not earn it (Ephesians 2:8-9) but that doesn't preclude me from being religious. The "not religious, but a relationship" claim, in order to work, must rely on a definition of "religion" that is ugly, and if that really is what "religion" is, then I reject it too.

But that's not what the New Testament authors understood religion to be (James 1:26-27, 1 Timothy 5:4), nor is it what society at large understands religion to be. I see the "not religious, but a relationship" claim to be well-intentioned marketing that falls short. Unbelievers who do take that bait will inevitably be confronted with the reality that to live as a Christian pleasing to God, they will need to go to church and worship and pray and obey the commands of Scripture and the Biblical teachings of the church. To some, the "not religious, but a relationship" claim is seen as disingenuous, or more widely, it is not taken seriously.

When we look at a relationship, there will be at least three elements - love (of the appropriate sort), communication, and trust. My relationship with Jesus involves prayer (communication), faith (trust), and obedience (God's love language, John 14:15, John 14:23). Yet, no one can really say these are not also religious. My religion is relational, and my relationship with Jesus is religious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 27, 2021
Grand Cayman
✟9,155.00
Country
Cayman Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a problem with religion. I'm a Christian.

Now, there are people who say "I'm not religious, I have a relationship with Jesus." Well, I have a relationship with Jesus too, I did not earn it (Ephesians 2:8-9) but that doesn't preclude me from being religious. The "not religious, but a relationship" claim, in order to work, must rely on a definition of "religion" that is ugly, and if that really is what "religion" is, then I reject it too.

But that's not what the New Testament authors understood religion to be (James 1:26-27, 1 Timothy 5:4), nor is it what society at large understands religion to be. I see the "not religious, but a relationship" claim to be well-intentioned marketing that falls short. Unbelievers who do take that bait will inevitably be confronted with the reality that to live as a Christian pleasing to God, they will need to go to church and worship and pray and obey the commands of Scripture and the Biblical teachings of the church. To some, the "not religious, but a relationship" claim is seen as disingenuous, or more widely, it is not taken seriously.

When we look at a relationship, there will be at least three elements - love (of the appropriate sort), communication, and trust. My relationship with Jesus involves prayer (communication), faith (trust), and obedience (God's love language, John 14:15, John 14:23). Yet, no one can really say these are not also religious. My religion is relational, and my relationship with Jesus is religious.

Thanks for taking time to answer Brother Sketcher. Interesting! I didn't think anyone would mention church or going to church. Since you mentioned church, do you believe that there's such thing as a "true church" or any church is fine? how would you "qualify" a church before joining it?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for taking time to answer Brother Sketcher. Interesting! I didn't think anyone would mention church or going to church. Since you mentioned church, do you believe that there's such thing as a "true church" or any church is fine? how would you "qualify" a church before joining it?
They have to preach the true Gospel to be the church. There are many churches that meet that description. Of those, there are quite a few other criteria they would need to meet before I would formally join it.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

My only problem with this is however I fail to live this.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟199,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The greatest problem with religion is that so many who profess to be Christian do not live their lives as Christians. Nobody is perfect, but many act like a Christian only for a couple of hours on Sunday.

Upvote 0
May 27, 2021
Grand Cayman
✟9,155.00
Country
Cayman Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They have to preach the true Gospel to be the church. There are many churches that meet that description. Of those, there are quite a few other criteria they would need to meet before I would formally join it.
What churches do you believe meet that description? I am also curious what other criterias you look for before you would join a church.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your greatest problem with Religion?

Why would it make a difference in your life to get a good answer for this problem or find a solution for your need? (Details, please.)

How difficult has it been for you to find a good answer for the above to date?

A. Not at all difficult

B. Somewhat difficult

C. Very difficult
Religion is a problem by being confining us by a sets of rules when as Christians we are called to be disciples ie. to learn from our Master as an apprentice learns by doing and being corrected. To do the work of healing and making disciples in a similar way. We are citizens of the Kingdom of G-d. We bring Love, Forgiveness and Compassion to ALL, even our enemies. Jesus did not ignore the woman at the well or the Roman soldier.
Remember we will be forgiven as we forgive others.
In LOve
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The greatest problem with religion is that so many who profess to be Christian do not live their lives as Christians. Nobody is perfect, but many act like a Christian only for a couple of hours on Sunday.

That is very common in 'christendom', but true Christianity is about those who have received the Lord Jesus into their heart and are devoted to Him in their daily walk (as 'best Friend'). They are "sealed" by the indwelling Holy Spirit!

A. Some other true "born again" Christians (as John 3:16) begin to be "carnal" ---which God hates, and they will forfeit much at the "judgment seat of Christ" when they get to Heaven.
B. The others who just profess to be Christian by following some of the Bible teachings, will find too late they have no place reserved in Heaven (note John 14:6).
C. Those of us who know we are "sealed" by faith in God's beloved Son, need to be careful to be a good testimony, love, and obey our Lord and witness for Him in the little while left here ---right?

Well, 'to each his own' as the saying goes; and may God have mercy on them who only pretend to be a real "child of God". Keep looking up, friends, and read your Bible daily; and I strongly recommend the Authorized KJV Version, for many new Bibles have many new ideas added to God's Word to meet modern preferences.

Upvote 0
May 27, 2021
Grand Cayman
✟9,155.00
Country
Cayman Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is very common in 'christendom', but true Christianity is about those who have received the Lord Jesus into their heart and are devoted to Him in their daily walk (as 'best Friend'). They are "sealed" by the indwelling Holy Spirit!

A. Some other true "born again" Christians (as John 3:16) begin to be "carnal" ---which God hates, and they will forfeit much at the "judgment seat of Christ" when they get to Heaven.
B. The others who just profess to be Christian by following some of the Bible teachings, will find too late they have no place reserved in Heaven (note John 14:6).
C. Those of us who know we are "sealed" by faith in God's beloved Son, need to be careful to be a good testimony, love, and obey our Lord and witness for Him in the little while left here ---right?

Well, 'to each his own' as the saying goes; and may God have mercy on them who only pretend to be a real "child of God". Keep looking up, friends, and read your Bible daily; and I strongly recommend the Authorized KJV Version, for many new Bibles have many new ideas added to God's Word to meet modern preferences.

Matthew 7:21-23
New King James Version

I Never Knew You
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

These People, received Jesus as their Lord even did miracles using His name, but will not be saved in that day of Judgment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 27, 2021
Grand Cayman
✟9,155.00
Country
Cayman Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

My only problem with this is however I fail to live this.

None of us are perfect, but would you be open to listen to a presentation that talks about the true Religion and how Jesus can answer for our sins? If not, I understand because no religion would say they are false.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree, and add that more than the Gospel, it must be taking "all the counsel of God" as we are told by God (speaking of the New Testament Church as in the Epistles); and "rightly dividing the Word of truth"! An Assembly of saints as Bible-only as God says, is my criteria. There ARE some of those, and one can learn about it by inquiring at the site: www.Biblecounsel.net. I find it very instructive, and one can ask questions there. An honest seeker after God, MUST understand John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc. and possess the Lord Jesus in their heart; and be walking and talking with Him daily. That is reality as being a "child of God", as Scripture shows --rather than just a professor of Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0