• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Survey on Catholic belief in the Eucharist promotes call for better catechesis

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,210
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,849
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    While it isn't a surprise it is now undeniable the level of ignorance among so many people who call themselves Catholic. Can we finally conclude that there has been a massive catechetical failure and try some things which work? We have a magnificent Catechism of the Catholic Church that has been practically ignored by many bishops and priests. They need to retire early and can be replaced with believing pastors. Or even a believing lay administrator in the interim until new priests can be formed in the real faith. Or would Mr. McCarrick and friends object?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,366
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Hmmm, I think what would have been really interesting to read in that article is the missing part: a quote of the original question in the survey, and how it is phrased.

Unless I am mistaken, Pew Research Study is a Protestant organization. If that is correct, then it would stand to reason that their questions in their surveys would be coming from a Protestant point of view, which would of course skew the results that are obtained.

I went through my parish's RCIA program, so of course I know about the Real Presence, Transubstantiation, etc.
    I think it's absolutely amazing, and knowing what really happens gives me even MORE deep respect for the Eucharist.

4. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+444
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
  5. chevyontheriver

+5,849
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I kind of doubt that these folks would make great evangelicals. Great Nones perhaps, but I kind of doubt most would really fit with the evangelicals.

6. Fenwick

Fenwick LET'S GO IRISH

+6,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I wonder if the issue has just as much to do with the lackadaisical and overly-permissive manner of the hierarchy as it is poor catechesis?

I feel like a good Pope would be real cutthroat in his intolerance of this sort of thing. Wouldn't a good Pope put a lot of people, including the laity who were polled, on blast for getting something so foundational so profoundly wrong? I mean, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I know I would if I were the Pope.

I think of (the fictional) Pius XIII from The Young Pope who decreed that the Church would be a lot smaller thereafter because he was no longer going to tolerate the lack of faith and morals among the people. For too long the "faithful" were in a one-sided relationship with the Church, reaping the benefits of the Catholic faith without investing the work. He seemed to be pointing back to a time of religious zeal that was common during the crusades, and I'm all for that in real life.

7. chevyontheriver

+5,849
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    John Paul and Benedict were great and good popes. Without them it would have been worse. But even an excellent Pius XIII won't fix this any time soon. One has to ask what the roots are of this exceptionally bad catechesis of the 70's and 80's and even persisting in large pockets today. Then to undo the roots. I suspect that will be the same solution as for the sex abuse crisis and the bad bishop crisis.

8. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,459
    Christian

9. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,210
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Just bumping this up guys. Seems every thread with any conversation is repeatedly moved off the page.

10. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,427
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I found this to be interesting.