✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said:

No, I feel that "as you have done it will be done to you" is righteous judgement and they are applying the golden rule.
Yes, it is righteous judgement. And yes, it is appropriate that a rule by which you are instructed to live is applied in determining righteous judgement. For example a law that forbids murder would be applied in a righteous judgement.

Those were your exact words. That righteous judgment you spoke of is not the Golden rule, thus they were not applying the Golden rule, they were applying righteous judgment. Righteous judgment is different from the Golden rule.
Enough, I can't waste any more time with this.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, it is righteous judgement. And yes, it is appropriate that a rule by which you are instructed to live is applied in determining righteous judgement. For example a law that forbids murder would be applied in a righteous judgement.
This has nothing to do with what I said. Again; I have no problem with the righteous judgment rule; it's just not the golden rule. (and you say I have a hard time understanding english?)
Enough, I can't waste any more time with this.
When I've been proven wrong, I admit to my mistake and change my opinion on the issue. What do YOU do?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

This verse, it says that a man's wife is his property? I think we have discovered the issue, I would recommend a cat scan and a good neurologist to get this checked out.
I think it's implied. It puts the wife and servants in a list of belongings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
In regards to morality, it cannot exist unless there is an absolute standard that defines what is morally good or evil.
This is simply false. Morality is clearly relative and cultural. This is easily demonstrated. What passes for religious morality changes along with the broader culture and it always has. If there was consensus on what is, or is not moral, you might have a point, but there is no consensus. How could you prove to me that there is a universal moral norm?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've read tons of your posts here, and I've never seen you admit you were even the slightest bit wrong about anything. Much like your idol.
Next time you see such a case, point it out to me. It was probably a case where you felt I was wrong, but I felt I was not.
PS I Idol no one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Next time you see such a case, point it out to me. It was probably a case where you felt I was wrong, but I felt I was not.
PS I Idol no one.

I'm pretty sure you know who I'm talking about.

BTW, the verb is 'idolize'.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Having seen what "godly" people have used His name to try to get away with, it's getting harder and harder to assume a connection between "godly" and "good."

Being "moral" requires no small amount of situationalism, and neither unchanging ancient codes, not the unchanging alleged source of such codes, can be a universally reliable guide.

• Winner
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A new Pew Research poll reveals the fast-changing attitudes of what it means to be good.

Younger Americans have a much higher percentage: Only 27% of people ages 18-29 link godliness and goodness.

View attachment 281430
Another interesting finding is that those with more education are less likely to see belief in god as necessary.

View attachment 281431
Most people believe a lot of things. That doesn't mean they are correct in those beliefs.

God will make His presence known, but not if you aren't interested. He's a gentleman that way.

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is simply false. Morality is clearly relative and cultural. This is easily demonstrated. What passes for religious morality changes along with the broader culture and it always has. If there was consensus on what is, or is not moral, you might have a point, but there is no consensus. How could you prove to me that there is a universal moral norm?
I apologize for the late response. You are correct. What I meant to say is that morality cannot exist in an absolute sense unless there was an objective or absolute standard to measure it. However, without some standard, morality only exists in a hypothetical and intangible ether. It is like floating in the vacuum of space arguing with your friend about which way is north. Who is right? Yes, in space, the idea of "north" exists. However, does it actually exist in reality? No! It does not. Now if the two both establish that a specific star defines "north," now you have something to measure but it still doesn't change the fact that this 'standard' is subjective. Therefore, it only exists by a collective consensus, not in reality. This same holds true for morality. Yes, it can exist in a hypothetical sense that is subjectively determined by majority consensus. But claiming one person's morality superior to another is like determining the goodness of a rock.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for the late response. You are correct. What I meant to say is that morality cannot exist in an absolute sense unless there was an objective or absolute standard to measure it. However, without some standard, morality only exists in a hypothetical and intangible ether. It is like floating in the vacuum of space arguing with your friend about which way is north. Who is right? Yes, in space, the idea of "north" exists. However, does it actually exist in reality? No! It does not. Now if the two both establish that a specific star defines "north," now you have something to measure but it still doesn't change the fact that this 'standard' is subjective. Therefore, it only exists by a collective consensus, not in reality. This same holds true for morality. Yes, it can exist in a hypothetical sense that is subjectively determined by majority consensus. But claiming one person's morality superior to another is like determining the goodness of a rock.
Since you are making the argument that a moral consensus cannot be achieved without an objective overarching moral structure, I have to assume you are unfamiliar with the counter arguments. I suggest reading a few books on secular moral philosophy before continuing to make this claim. There are defeaters for the argument you are making. If you are interested, let me know, I can reckoned some good books. If not, oh well.

Upvote 0