✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

We recently conducted two large-scale surveys that explored the [idea] that some intrinsic attributes of science are in tension with aspects of conservative thinking.

We focused on three scientific issues; climate change, vaccinations, and the heritability of intelligence. The first two were chosen because of their known tendency to be rejected by people on the political right, allowing us to observe the potential moderating role of other predictors.

The latter was chosen because the belief that external forces such as education can improve people and their circumstances is a focus of liberalism.

the overall findings were quite clear. Conservatives were less likely to accept the norms of science, suggesting that the worldviews of some people on the political right may be in intrinsic conflict with the scientific enterprise.

Those people who accepted the norms of science were also more likely to endorse vaccinations and support the need to fight climate change.

Finally, we found no strong evidence that people on the political left are more likely to reject the genetic contribution to individual variation in intelligence. This negative result adds to the evidence that science denial is harder to find on the left, even concerning issues where basic aspects of liberal thought – in this case the belief that people can be improved – are in potential conflict with the evidence.

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So, an order political survey in other words, gotcha. Yes, some conservatives disagree with the the party that oppose conservative values, true dat. I highly recommend you review their questions if they are open. Very hard to be allowed to participate in surveys as a conservative btw. They kind of end before they start, unless you state you have a Phd and earn a 6 figure income, I wonder why, hahaha. Might have something to do with having enough money, and live in such a nice place, that worldly problems like finanace and crime is not a problem, and wasted taxsdollars is no issue.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So, an order political survey in other words, gotcha. Yes, some conservatives disagree with the the party that oppose conservative values, true dat. I highly recommend you review their questions if they are open. Very hard to be allowed to participate in surveys as a conservative btw. They kind of end before they start, unless you state you have a Phd and earn a 6 figure income, I wonder why, hahaha. Might have something to do with having enough money, and live in such a nice place, that worldly problems like finanace and crime is not a problem, and wasted taxsdollars is no issue.
Can you actually provide anything other than opinion that might contradict this? BTW, Phd's rarely earn 6 figure incomes, it is not a well rewarded economic track.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok.. I think if one went back 2 years and then post all the things Dr. Fauci, CDC, WHO and then the media have said. Yeah.. gee who wouldn't then just blindly trust ...oh here it is.. "norms of science"

Do we see it? "norms"? Lol is it Science or what some are saying is the NORMS of Science. Hard to trust.. well as of late we have those BIKERS "super spreaders".. didn't happen last year. Then we have HUGE open concert? In Chicago. Yet shh not a word. Then Obama house party where the left said all were vaccinated. <--not even true but ok. Both no masks shoulder to shoulder yet it was ok. But the bikers were the super spreader..ok.

Toss in the word NORM. Its what the left are calling norm Science is what more then 1/2 of America won't blindly except.

So have we searched on "norms of Science"? Its HUGE read but.. nothing like were being told by some news media on TV lol.

Wanted to add.. with "norms of Science" a key factor "assumption of honesty"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Can you actually provide anything other than opinion that might contradict this? BTW, Phd's rarely earn 6 figure incomes, it is not a well rewarded economic track.
Why would I if I could? Do I care? nuh. Just how I got into two polling panels, to lie to them. Signing up for them, then call after call, both qualifying, for months, after telling what party I would vote for, what incomer and such. Suddenly they called when I was about to back up my car and I was angry. So I said I earned 200K, was a professor and voted left, then I got a survey to participate in. I answered the opposite of what they wanted, and they kept asking, are you sure? Should I read it again?, etc. Yhen I was on their panel. And did the same with the other one, and on that panel too, haha. So funny. Then I just kept answering the opposite of the answer they sought, I was an angry atheist back then. And all people rerally do this here.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As much as I might be temperamentally inclined to agree with the conclusions of the OP article, I have to disagree with the claim that the survey proves that claim. There seems to be some (perhaps unconscious) bias in the design of the experiment which could affect the outcome.

One problem I have is with the selection of issues. There are too few of them. With so few issues, random variation in certain groups' response to those issues will likely play an outsized roll in the outcome. Another question I have is how the participants were selected. If the authors were attempting to establish a correlation between political conservatism and rejection of science, they should have use a true random sample of conservatives (and liberals) across all walks of life. Maybe they did that, but not having access to the full study (and not having the time to read it even if I did) I can't say for sure. For example, politically conservative doctors are likely to have a different attitude toward vaccines than politically conservative farmers. (And yes, there are politically conservative doctors.)

Perhaps a better way to make this assessment would have been to survey scientists to see what their political views are. I kind of think the result would be the same, but I would not use this survey to prove that point. It is weak.

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Ok.. I think if one went back 2 years and then post all the things Dr. Fauci, CDC, WHO and then the media have said. Yeah.. gee who wouldn't then just blindly trust ...oh here it is.. "norms of science"

Do we see it? "norms"? Lol is it Science or what some are saying is the NORMS of Science. Hard to trust.. well as of late we have those BIKERS "super spreaders".. didn't happen last year. Then we have HUGE open concert? In Chicago. Yet shh not a word. Then Obama house party where the left said all were vaccinated. <--not even true but ok. Both no masks shoulder to shoulder yet it was ok. But the bikers were the super spreader..ok.

Toss in the word NORM. Its what the left are calling norm Science is what more then 1/2 of America won't blindly except.

So have we searched on "norms of Science"? Its HUGE read but.. nothing like were being told by some news media on TV lol.
Your ignorance of how science actually works is
Why would I if I could? Do I care? nuh. Just how I got into two polling panels, to lie to them. Signing up for them, then call after call, both qualifying, for months, after telling what party I would vote for, what incomer and such. Suddenly they called when I was about to back up my car and I was angry. So I said I earned 200K, was a professor and voted left, then I got a survey to participate in. I answered the opposite of what they wanted, and they kept asking, are you sure? Should I read it again?, etc. Yhen I was on their panel. And did the same with the other one, and on that panel too, haha. So funny. Then I just kept answering the opposite of the answer they sought, I was an angry atheist back then. And all people rerally do this here.
If this is really your attitude, do the world a favor and go back to your celibate reclusive self. Your problem lies not on the atheist religious spectrum or even on any spectrum relative to the discussions here. Hopefully Norway has help.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Your ignorance of how science actually works is

If this is really your attitude, do the world a favor and go back to your celibate reclusive self. Your problem lies not on the atheist religious spectrum or even on any spectrum relative to the discussions here. Hopefully Norway has help.
A tale of two stories, I was angry then, not now. Not on your panel anymore, you get your lying polls, they do not concern me anymore. Never left my celibate lifestyle. Seeking God today, as I did yesterday. Doing it for myself, not the world. Faith is personal, would never dream of inviting you in.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
A tale of two stories, I was angry then, not now. Not on your panel anymore, you get your lying polls, they do not concern me anymore. Never left my celibater lifestyle. Seeking God today, as I did yesterday. Doing it for myself, not the world. Faith is personal, would never dream of inviting you in.
Not my favorite response, but this deserves it. Whatever

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟730,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Wanted to add.. with "norms of Science" a key factor "assumption of honesty"
Actually "norms of science" are based on provable facts. "Going with the gut" is making a much larger assumption based on feelings and not facts.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Stick around and you may be converted.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

N00bs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what an atheist is doing on a Christian forum. Stick around and you may be converted.
You may want to check how long some of us have been here.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We focused on three scientific issues; climate change, vaccinations, and the heritability of intelligence. The first two were chosen because of their known tendency to be rejected by people on the political right, allowing us to observe the potential moderating role of other predictors.

The latter was chosen because the belief that external forces such as education can improve people and their circumstances is a focus of liberalism.
This says more about the inability of the authors to create a valid study than it does anything about conservatives.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This says more about the inability of the authors to create a valid study than it does anything about conservatives.

What invalidates the study?

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0