• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Supreme Court: Sexual orientation and gender identity covered under federal discrimination law

Discussion in 'OBOB General Politics Forum' started by Michie, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+43,798
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Washington D.C., Jun 15, 2020 / 09:00 am MT (CNA).- The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that employers cannot fire workers because of their sexual orientation or self-determined gender identity, while dissenting justices opined the Court was legislating from the bench.

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion for the Court in a 6-3 decision, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Brett Kavanaugh all dissented from the majority opinion.

Continued below.
    Supreme Court: Sexual orientation and gender identity covered under federal discrimination law

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+10,045
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Boy Gorsuch really sandbagged us here.

Thankfully the Church is generally exempted from all of these kinds of laws, most Church employment contractually requires the employee to adhere to Church teaching (i.e. no homosexual activity, no unmarried cohabitation, no drug use, etc) and the Church is religiously protected in it's ability to end employment on a violation of those terms.

Here in California we're largely an at-will employment state unless your a civil worker or part of a union, meaning an employer can terminate an employee with or without cause. It's a double-edged sword, but a lot of employers here, rather than giving an explanation, typically just say "we're going another direction" or something along those lines - which doesn't point to the person but to the company.

3. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+43,798
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  4. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+3,035
    Catholic
    Private
    I didn't realize that the question of one's sexual orientation came up in job interviews. I guess this will entitle people to point out that they're gay (or transgendered if not obvious) which some people will now do even though it's no ones business and to that end wouldn't care in the first place.

5. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,324
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm not Catholic, so I won't comment at all on the goodness or badness of the court decision in this forum. I just wanted to add a point of information from my experience on hiring committees:

Sometimes, in a lengthy interview process (if it involves taking the candidate out to dinner, for example), a person's sexual orientation can come up in conversation by accident, because a person might start talking about their family. "My wife is from this area, and would enjoy moving back home." "My husband likes hiking; are there any good parks nearby?" And now you know their orientation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+3,035
    Catholic
    Private
    Thanks for pointing that out and you are absolutely right, I hadn't thought of it that way. And actually you shouldn't have qualified 'by accident' as it's very common for an interviewer to say 'tell me about yourself' I guess I was thinking of job qualifications. Thanks for saying what you did.. I don't know that it justifies a special law, as I truly believe most employers (the exception being Churches whose teachings are against gay lifestyle) really wouldn't take it into consideration in the first place. I TRULY hope this law isn't to make Churches who teach against it forced to hire people they wouldn't have hired.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+11,074
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    That concern or naivety of the USCCB surprises me, considering that in other instances the USCCB has often taken the opposing view against what the Church traditionally teaches.

Of course this will affect churches. That's one of the main reasons that this latest law was written, which was to undercut the teaching of the Church on the one hand, and to counter act lower court verdicts which held In favor of traditional moral church teachings.

I know that our Diocese has declined to support the USCCB's annual fund raising efforts for that reason.