Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court seemed ready on Wednesday to allow a 40-foot cross honoring soldiers who died in World War I to remain in place on public land in Maryland.

But the unusually vigorous and at times heated argument over the issue revealed deep divisions among the justices on the more general question of what role religion may play in public life.

A majority of the justices appeared inclined to rule that the particular cross at issue in the case, which is part of a memorial to 49 fallen soldiers from Prince George’s County, did not run afoul of the First Amendment’s ban on government establishment of religion by sending a message of favoritism to Christianity.

Justice Elena Kagan noted that the memorial was 93 years old and was erected at a time when crosses were a common way to honor the fallen in the Great War. She added that other war memorials stood nearby and that the challenged memorial did not feature religious language.

“So why in a case like that can we not say essentially the religious content has been stripped of this monument?” she asked.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer also stressed the memorial’s age. “History counts,” he said. But he suggested that the erection of a similar memorial today would not be acceptable.

Much more at link: Supreme Court Seems Ready to Allow Cross Honoring War Dead

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Too bad that the cross hasn't been properly maintained over the years. It is in bad shape. Perhaps this case will attract attention and someone will raise money to give it the restoration work it needs.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've wondered why the atheists haven't insisted that the thousands of crosses honoring our war at Arlington National Cemetary be removed.
--or at any other of the national cemeteries where almost every grave marker has some version of the cross. And many of those are recent burials.

Because individual gravestones are not a public endorsement of religion. Rather they represent the religious beliefs of the person buried there. I've seen Stars of David marking Jewish graves in military cemeteries. I'm told that there are symbols for other faiths but I've not seen them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In todays world, I would not bank on that being the critical difference if it comes before the court; and it certainly would not cause opponents of religion to pass such an opportunity by. Not when there are people ready to sue over religious emblems that are on private property but can be seen by other people at a distance.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's an historical relic, and needn't be interpreted as endorsing religion. Now, if they wanted to put a new cross on a new cemetary, I think a stronger case could be made that shouldn't be permitted.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's an historical relic, and needn't be interpreted as endorsing religion. Now, if they wanted to put a new cross on a new cemetary, I think a stronger case could be made that shouldn't be permitted.
Even if it's on privately owned property?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Even if it's on privately owned property?
If it were publicly funded then no. This particular cross isn't in a cemetery but is is on public land (a highway median).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like how they are thinking and interpreting this particular memorial.
There's some trepidation on the left that the conservative justices will try to make this a defining decision. However, given the cross used to be on private ground and then turned to public park land I think we will get a narrow decision.

There's a LA Times article on this as well:

Supreme Court will look at whether a cross is promotion of religion or war memorial

A little more elaboration on what the Conservative justices are looking at. Meaning shoring up these complaints to put the burden of proof on the aggrieved party. Does a religious symbol in a public place really coerce one to participate in the religious event? That's the thinking and has some on the Left a bit concerned.

That made me think a bit...With the increase in our Muslim communities and building of mosques, how far are we from a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan to make a legal case stating the call to prayer blasted over speakers triggers PTSD?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because individual gravestones are not a public endorsement of religion. Rather they represent the religious beliefs of the person buried there. I've seen Stars of David marking Jewish graves in military cemeteries. I'm told that there are symbols for other faiths but I've not seen them.

So many crosses there. Of course it is said "There are no atheists in foxholes."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In todays world, I would not bank on that being the critical difference if it comes before the court; and it certainly would not cause opponents of religion to pass such an opportunity by. Not when there are people ready to sue over religious emblems that are on private property but can be seen by other people at a distance.
I’ve not heard of any pending lawsuits regarding religious emblems on private property, except in cases where such displays are paid for with public funds. Examples please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve not heard of any pending lawsuits regarding religious emblems on private property, except in cases where such displays are paid for with public funds. Examples please.
I think the only clear cut cases we would see with private property would be overbearing home owners associations. ;)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Of course the majority are various Christian denominations which I would expect in the US. I wonder why the military fought Wiccan markers for so long?
At first I thought it would be a problem for Roman Catholics but no matter the burial site the ground where a Catholic is laid to rest is consecrated by the priest officiating the burial.

Can a Catholic be buried in a national cemetery?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That made me think a bit...With the increase in our Muslim communities and building of mosques, how far are we from a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan to make a legal case stating the call to prayer blasted over speakers triggers PTSD?

Fortunately most American cities have noise ordinances, although many allow the tolling of church bells to announce certain times of day, but that is usually a call to noon lunch, not prayer.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately most American cities have noise ordinances, although many allow the tolling of church bells to announce certain times of day, but that is usually a call to noon lunch, not prayer.
I would gather this would be local community policing. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I've wondered why the atheists haven't insisted that the thousands of crosses honoring our war at Arlington National Cemetary be removed.
To which "thousands of crosses" at Arlington are you referring? Arlington grave markers look like this:

IMG_1422-e1418266086115-225x300.jpg

They may have any number of religious symbols engraved on them:

Christian
IMG_1418-e1418265966560-225x300.jpg

Jewish
IMG_1420-e1418265928354-225x300.jpg

Wiccan
Wiccan_gravestone.jpg

Muslim and Baha'i
5bb80155240000310098b109.jpeg

even (and I know this is hard to believe) Atheist
thumb_richard-p-mason-col-usa-world-war-ii-korea-vietnam-33540423.png

Along with almost 65 other emblems of belief.

Grave Markers at Arlington

So why would Atheists have a problem with crosses?

Attachments

• Wiccan_gravestone.jpg
    Wiccan_gravestone.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 1
  • humayun_khan_grave.jpg
    humayun_khan_grave.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0