Supreme Court Decision on Oklahoma (Native Americans get half the state)

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is potentially a big decision that nobody is talking about....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...2aba02-c2e7-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

“Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law,” Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, a Trump-appointed conservative, wrote in the majority opinion, which evoked broken promises the U.S. government made to Native Americans as far back as the Trail of Tears. “Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word.”

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is potentially a big decision that nobody is talking about....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...2aba02-c2e7-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

“Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law,” Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, a Trump-appointed conservative, wrote in the majority opinion, which evoked broken promises the U.S. government made to Native Americans as far back as the Trail of Tears. “Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word.”

When I was about 10 or so, my mother would often take me north about 20 miles to spend a day at her aunt, a part blood Native American painter, who on many occasions would look intensely into my eyes, locking my gaze and tell me of the Trail of Tears, where the Five Civilized Tribes were put on a death march to Oklahoma, after their lands where stolen from them by America.

For most of you people, some of your ancestors stealing land from some of mine.

But I don't hold it against you all.

This is pretty accurate looks to me, so this will tell you more -- it was far worse than about 98% of people know.

https://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/trail-of-tears

Who were these 'Indians'? --

"...in the early years of the American republic, such as President George Washington, believed that the best way to solve this “Indian problem” was simply to “civilize” the Native Americans. The goal of this civilization campaign was to make Native Americans as much like white Americans as possible by encouraging them convert to Christianity, learn to speak and read English and adopt European-style economic practices such as the individual ownership of land and other property (including, in some instances in the South, African slaves). In the southeastern United States, many Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, Creek and Cherokee people embraced these customs and became known as the “Five Civilized Tribes.”

So....seems many of these "Indians" put on the death march were 'civilized' Christians....

just an fyi for the curious reader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0