• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Supreme court decides that faith is now banned from Canadas public spaces

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by friend of, Jun 16, 2018.

1. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,719
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Title is a bit off according to the article:

Trinity Western University suffered a stinging loss in the Supreme Court of Canada on Friday, which found that law societies in B.C. and Ontario were justified in not accrediting the university’s prospective law school because of its policy on premarital sex. But no one should harbour any illusions that the pain will be limited to the small Christian school in B.C.’s Fraser Valley.

The impact of the court’s decision against TWU will seriously afflict the engagement of religious communities with public life across this country, regardless of whether it’s the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army or Muslim and Jewish charitable organizations.

Now I can see how one could take this decision and apply it to public places.

Interesting that Trinity Western University, which I assume is a private university, needs government approval or accreditation to run their law program. Accreditation is usually based on whether the program meets basic educational competitive standards and placement criteria.

Then again I live in the US where the free exercise of religion is a right endowed by our Creator and not the government.

3. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,078
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I guess this is a logical next step after what they did last December......

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,306
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    In Canada it is simple --- the government will not legitimize much less fund discrimination, hate or the removal of rights. I am very comfortable with that.

5. SilverBear

SilverBear Well-Known Member

+952
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    I'm not sure just how wanting employer participants in a jobs program to indicating that they don't discriminate has any connection to the OP

6. Danielwright2311

Danielwright2311 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,095
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Its one steep closer to America.

7. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yet they (the government) can do all of the above?

8. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why is ones view on abortion even a matter of summer jobs programs?

Truly what does seeking to restrict abortion have to do with summer jobs? How would these students restrict abortion? Voting?

9. SilverBear

+952
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    it doesn't but the 2018 CANADA SUMMER JOBS APPLICATION / AGREEMENT doesn't say anything about ones view of abortion it says:

"These include reproductive rights and the right to be free from discrimination on the basis of sex, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, colour, mental or physical disability or sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression."

a couple minutes of research found that this section was included when it was discovered that one recipient of funding put kids to work distributing anti-abortion pamphlets which included fake pictures of aborted fetuses. There was another company,i think it was the Center for bio-ethic reform, insisted that any female summer job employee not take prescribed birth control medication.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for the research!

This still does not answer the question why Chistians are banned from summer jobs. Doesn't Canada apply due process for those who violate the law without punishing an entire religious group?

Not even Saudi Arabia rounds up every Christian when a few violate their anti proselytizing laws.

11. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Well in Canada they don't have a Bill of Rights like we do. In the US, Congress can make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion or abridging the freedom of speech.

For the federal government to come out and ban a religious group from what is available to all is still foreign here. Not to mention punishing an entire group of any kind based on the actions of some or a few.

Which is why sometimes fighting for your independence instead of negotiating for it matters. ;)

12. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  13. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,306
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    The Canadian Bill of Rights (1960) has been superseded by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982).

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

14. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,078
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Exactly!

It is also relevant that Canada has zero legal protection for the unborn right up until the moment of birth.........
    partial birth abortions..... although they are relatively few each year.... are especially odious to anybody with a conscience.

And as for my opinion on how the LGBT community should be treated......

God's many plans for the Gay community???????

.near-death.com/andreason.html#a11

But even though I am not on the same page as some Christians on these topics..... if P. M. Trudeau's legislation was relevant to me.... I would not sign it..... due to the danger that it would begin economic marginalization of so many of my friends.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+466
    Non-Denom
    Trudeau and the Liberal Government of Canada like to pride themselves that they're the light and are building a just and fair society. Their feeling is government needs to set an example and only going to reward those who share what they call Canadian values. Abortion rights he has deemed such a one. The summer jobs program is government money thus you demonstrate you're a reasonable, civilized individual and you'll get the job. I found it rather precious to hear him defend that this policy isn't against Christians who have Charter of Rights protections of equality under the law by his saying there's a lot of Christians that believe in abortion rights so it's not religious discrimination.

It's NOTHING to do with summer jobs and these students aren't restricting anything. It's about not wanting to financially benefit anyone who doesn't share their world views.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+466
    Non-Denom
    Reproductive rights are code words for abortion. The media KNOW this. The Government knows this and have done nothing whatsoever to clarify the issue if it meant something different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks! Like the French I see.

18. redleghunter

+25,899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    How very Marxist.

19. SilverBear

+952
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    They arn't

20. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,986
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Christians are not banned. Not as a group or otherwise.
    One must acknowledge the rights of others under the law in order to receive funding from the government.

I don't see how that is any different than our government telling the Catholic adoption agency that if they want funding from the US government that they must agree to allow same sex couples to adopt children from their agency. If they don't agree to do that they can't be a part of the government program and will loose funding.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018