Pacific NW
✟245,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
You think so? We already have mail-in ballots being sent to millions of people who didn't request one of them or give any reason for needing them; there is a plan that's well underway to circumvent the Electoral College without officially replacing it; and most of the Democratic politicians who sought their party's nomination for president this year are already on record as favoring (an easy) path to citizenship (and, therefore, to voting) for millions of resident non-citizens with more arriving each year. And that's not all.

Horrors. No, that's not going to do it. At best, the second two would be a tiny drop in an ocean, and the first is nonsensical.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You think so? We already have mail-in ballots being sent to millions of people who didn't request one of them or give any reason for needing them;
So what? A ballot without the verifiable signature of a registered voter is just a piece of paper.
there is a plan that's well underway to circumvent the Electoral College without officially replacing it;
A legal plan.
and most of the Democratic politicians who sought their party's nomination for president this year are already on record as favoring (an easy) path to citizenship (and, therefore, to voting) for millions of resident non-citizens with more arriving each year. And that's not all.
Many of whom would tend to vote Conservative if treated decently.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like it's time for the ol' agree to disagree again.
I'm a conservative by the way, and Biden will ruin America.

There is no conservative party in the U.S. The Republican Party has abandoned core conservative values: - small government
- free trade and commerce
- personal accountability.

It's been replaced by a populist cult loyal to one person.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Horrors. No, that's not going to do it. At best, the second two would be a tiny drop in an ocean, and the first is nonsensical.
Eliminating the Electoral College would be a drop in the bucket of an electoral change? Adding millions of voters to the rolls wouldn't change any election outcomes? I think we are not going to agree on this, but you have the answer you asked for.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Eliminating the Electoral College would be a drop in the bucket of an electoral change?

No, it wouldn't. That's why it would require a constitutional amendment. I assumed you were talking about something that wouldn't require a constitutional amendment.

Adding millions of voters to the rolls wouldn't change any election outcomes?

Is the Republican Party incapable of drawing new voters these days?

(Well, maybe, thanks to Trump. But that's the Republican Party's fault for making him president.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Read this before deciding.

National Popular Vote

That's a state thing, not a US Congress thing. States may join the compact or not, as they like. States are allowed by the Constitution to choose electors however they like. And they're still choosing electors.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But is not useful to suppose that the "other side" are uniformly against all those things.
Of course its usefull, you need to dehumanise people and act as if they are attacking you before you kill them. Human psyche works that way.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Uh... yeah, that's what I said...
I wasn't clear enough. Although the electors are chosen by the states, it is their votes in the Electoral College that determines the president.

But by this proposed National Popular Vote scheme, the states circumvent the usual process of the College by requiring their electors to vote for the winner of the popular vote regardless of how the election went in their own states.

So far, 18 (?) states have signed on to it by action of their legislatures and they account for over 190 electoral votes that would be given to the candidate who gets the most popular votes nationwide, regardless of who won any of those states.

When it reaches 270, they will have neutralized the Electoral College, barring a Supreme Court decision that rules against it. If Biden wins, Ruth Bader Ginsburg will retire and Biden will nominate someone to replace her on the Court who will be the 5th vote for the NPV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What he says is true. That's what the dems want in case he does win. They want so much confusion that we won't know who the president is by inauguration day, and they will usher in Nancy Pelosi.

It’s always the same with you guys. Trump says something despicable and stupid, and a few days later you manage to twist it into ‘that’s what the Dems want!’. No, that’s what the guy who actually said it wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like it's time for the ol' agree to disagree again.
I'm a conservative by the way, and Biden will ruin America.

Exactly how is Biden going to ruin America? And how if your claim here different from those who claim Trump is ruining America, that you disagree with?

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you have decided to buy into a lurid and improbable fantasy of "what Liberals want" and nothing will change your mind.
We'll see.
I don't want that to happen, so if I am wrong, I will gladly admit that I was come January or whenever it all gets resolved.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s always the same with you guys. Trump says something despicable and stupid, and a few days later you manage to twist it into ‘that’s what the Dems want!’. No, that’s what the guy who actually said it wants.
That's kind of funny, considering. You guys are always saying and doing the same stuff. And its time to disagree again.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly how is Biden going to ruin America? And how if your claim here different from those who claim Trump is ruining America, that you disagree with?
(sigh)
My views are very different from the views of the Left. Naturally, I believe Biden will ruin America, because he stands for all the things I don't and I stand for all the things he doesn't. The same is true for the other side. Trump stands for things they don't and they stand for things Trump doesn't, so naturally they think he is the one ruining America. Maybe we can look back in 20 years or so and see who is right.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no conservative party in the U.S. The Republican Party has abandoned core conservative values: - small government
- free trade and commerce
- personal accountability.

It's been replaced by a populist cult loyal to one person.
You are correct to a point. There isn't a conservative party in the U.S., there never was one. From the 1860s on it has been the republicans and democrats, with a few insignificant parties.
The republican party is in bad shape. Most republican politicians aren't helping much at all. They are abandoning conservative values, but they are the best option for conservatives right now. Trump is the best option for conservatives right now.

Upvote 0